“What a Hole” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #56 of 189 Specialty Lodging in Amsterdam
surrey
“What a Hole”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2010

When I went to check in I was told I had booked for the wrong day and sorry they were full! After showing my confirmation and proving the mistake was theirs and not mine the manager had to come and sort out my reservation.
I booked a themed apartment as I presumed this was an upgrade on a standard room, wrong!! What I got was a tatty student bedsit located in a building with severe subsidence about a mile away from the actual hotel.
Up two very narrow and very steep flights of stairs was our room, named China Town. It had recently been painted however I have no idea why 9 different colours of paint had been used, it was vile. The walls were, White, Dark Grey, purple, mauve & black. There was a kitchen cupboard painted in red gloss with a blue splash back. The china theme was a couple of oriental pictures and a budda statue
Due to the subsidence (which is being monitored constantly by fixed laser measuring devices attached to the corners of the buildings in the streets) the floors slanted into one corner and it was a task to sit up straight at the table, which was also and an alarming angle.
The safe was broken, or part of it was missing, the room had wooden sash windows however they couldn’t be opened properly as the internal cables had broken and one of the panes of glass was held together with sellotape!
There was an electricity socket; however, it was mummified with red tape. The toilet was so small that if you sat down you could not close the door and if my boyfriend stood in front of it he couldn’t close the door either.
The bathroom did have a new sink installed, however, the tatty green bath hadn’t been replaced and it has several brown patches were the enamel has worn off; also the paint is severely peeling off the walls above the bath.
I heard 3 American girls check into the Attic suite above us – I could hear every word and they were less than impressed and checked straight back out again the next morning, so it seemed that I didn’t just get the rubbish room, I picked a rubbish hotel full stop.
For £120 per night this was a very expensive hovel and to top it off on Saturday Afternoon a male member of staff just let himself into our room while I was watching TV and my boyfriend was asleep on the bed, he did not knock and just told me he needed something from another room that was accessible through our room and off he went to get it! Outrageous!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Liverpool
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2010

Myself and my boyfriend recently stayed at the Greenhouse Effect during our stay in Amsterdam. We arrived on Good Friday at about 10am and tried to check in, the room wasn't ready which we thought would have been the case. They kindly let us store our suitcase there though until the 2pm check-in.
We sampled a few of the local coffeeshops until our check-in time came.
The hotel lobby is situated in the bar. Upon check-in the lady happily informed us that our double room had been upgraded to an apartment, as there were no doubles left.
The apartment was situated directly opposite, above the Hill Street Blues coffee shop.
We had to climb the steepest stairs I have ever seen to get into the apartment, and ours was the "Lounge" themed one. It had one bedroom with 2 single beds, shower room, toilet room, and an open plan living room and kitchen. The living room looked directly onto Warmoestraat, so it was a great place for people watching.
Breakfast is served in the bar area, but as we aren't morning people we weren't around to sample it. There is a discount at the bar and coffee shop for hotel guests, but we didn't use the bar or coffee shop so can't comment on that.
The location of Greenhouse Effect is excellent, just a 5 minute walk from Central station. Dam Square is a 5 minute walk away, and the Red Light district is literally just around the corner.
I'd recommend this hotel for young couples or groups of friends looking to have a lively trip. The stairs mean it'd be quite unsuitable for people with mobility problems.
Overall I'd highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Peterborough UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2009

Me and a couple of mates stayed here a few weeks back. It had scaffolding up outside the hotel front so it looked pretty ropey but other the place is good.
We stayed in the Fluo room which was clean, tidy and had a nice shower room. The flourescent lights shown on the website were all missing so the fluo effect wasnt what we expected but still a nice room.
Staff were nice and friendly and the breakfast was ok. Great location if you want to visit coffee shops and red light area. Gets a bit noisy outside late on but who wants to sleep anyway.
Overall experience, bearing in mind cost, staff, food, location etc I'd give it an 8/10.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2009

Stayed here for 2 nights with my significant other during winter and I DID NOT ENJOY the experience. Firstly, when we arrived they had not made up our room yet and the strange dreadlocked menacing girl proceeded to fob us off with the idea that we sit down and have a few smokes instead, at our expense of course. Now I know we are in Amsterdam, but not everyone wishes to 'have a smoke' every second of every day!! When we were finally allowed into our room - which was the 'Turkish Delight' themed one - it was a disappointment, not very clean and quite cold. We turned the heaters way up as it was winter but it continued to be cold, the view from the windows was awful and the tiny shower room leaked luke-warm water. It was not a nice experience showering and trying to wash your hair in the miniscule cubicle.

There were however a few good things: breakfast was decent and they played unusual & cool music in the bar. All-in-all, this place is fine if you don't mind slumming it but I do!!

• Stayed February 2006, traveled as a couple
mesa, az usa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2009

me and a buddy stayed in the Turkish Delight. The room was so cute, the colors were great! The room was small but it did they job just fine. The bed was cozy. The room was surprisingly quiet, probably cause it doesn't face the street, but faces other buildings.

The breakfast was good, just as i had imagined the hostel breakfast.

The staff was very friendly and informative. The attached coffe shop was very nice! It was one of my favorite!!

I can't wait to try another room.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2009

Our first night we were upgraded from a double room to a triple ensuite. The room was very nice and was Mary Jane themed. The hostel is in the party section of the red light district. The room was very clean and had a stocked fridge, TV, and it fronted the street. The noise at night was very loud, especially with the window open, but its Amsterdam, so who cares? The rooms in the back may not have been as loud. The bathroom was nice. Smoking is allowed in the rooms. The staff was very helpful and allowed us to store our bags in a storage closet before check-in and after checkout. The next three nights we stayed in the Delph apartment which is about a ten minute walk from the hostel and coffeeshop. Guests get a discount at the hostel bar and coffeeshop. The apartment was very nice and clean. It could sleep five people, had a small fridge, and overlooked a square where vendors sold fresh fruit and souvenirs. I would highly recommend the apartment to anyone looking to have a chill place to rest in Amsterdam (so long as you don’t mind climbing three flights of stairs Amsterdam style). The apartment and the triple room both had TVs and free internet. Amsterdam is easy to navigate and both spots were close to public transportation.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2009

4 of us stayed at the City Oasis apartment for 3 nights. the apartment is spacious and basic but comfortable. the apartment is on the top floor and 3 flights of stairs later its totally worth the climb (and it is a climb! those amsterdam architects basically built tall houses with ladders up the middle!) the bedrooms are accessed via a hatch in the living room and kitchen - this really is a ladder and is quite a challenge, particular after a few shandies! the living room is big and the large windows open out to a great view of Waag Castle and the busy street below. we spent many hours people watching and enjoying the breeze (Amsterdam gets pretty hot in the summer). another fantastic trip and stay at the Greenhouse effect. thanks guys. you never disappoint us.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends

Been to The Greenhouse Effect? Share your experiences!