“Friendly, Clean & Welcoming place to stay.” 5 of 5 stars

The Greenhouse Effect
Warmoesstraat 55, 1012 HW Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Red Light District)   |
Ranked #58 of 175 Specialty Lodging in Amsterdam
Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Friendly, Clean & Welcoming place to stay.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

We have been to Amsterdam loads of times and we found this place really nice to stay in as a couple. We had the apartment just a 5 min walk from the hotel but still close to the centre of town. The staff were friendly and welcoming and the prices at the bar were really reasonable for being in the centre of town. We would/will happily stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
West Lothian, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend booked us a 3 night stay here for my first trip to Amsterdam and I was really impressed. We would definitely stay here again!
I was a little nervous about what to expect after reading some of the reviews (and knowing my standards are much higher than my bfs) but was really pleasantly surprised on arrival!
The lady in the bar who checked us in couldn't have been nicer as was the same for the other staff we met when popping in and out.
We stayed in the Turkish room and it was basic but really nice and comfortable. The room was bright and nicely decorated, really we couldn't have asked for more.
The room and adjoining toilet and shower rooms were very clean and we had fresh towels for every day of our stay. A massive plus for me!
We enjoyed a continental breakfast each day of our stay but didn't spend much time in the bar area other than that.
I would definitely recommend The Greenhouse Effect and will more than likely stay here again on our next trip! :)

• Stayed September 2013
Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

I was a bit worried traveling in Amsterdam alone, but everything worked out great, in part because of the Greenhouse Effect hostel. A few minutes from Centraal Station and from Dam Square, so everything is either a short walk or one tram ride away.
I was in the Red Light room: the room themes are really cool, and add to the atmosphere. Besides being "cool", the room was also very clean, and though it was small, it was big enough for one person to and all her things. It's relatively quiet, but walls are quite thin, so you can hear your neighbors if they are being noisy.
I checked in at 11am or so, and they let me into my room already, and even let me have breakfast that very morning.
Wifi in the bar is good, and I was even able to pick up on it in my room.
Stairs are steep, but that's expected in Amsterdam.
The only tip: If you like having nice shampoo/conditioner, bring your own, since here it's an all-in-one soap/shampoo/etc.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013 via mobile

Stayed in the 2 person apartment on newmaarkt - great apt, all you need for a short stay in a great 'people watching' location! Linen & towels clean. Definitely would go back. Obviously if you dont like the smell of smoke or the look of Prostitutes plus small stairs this isnt the place for you!!

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

Helpful staff , nice clean rooms.

I've stayed in several rooms in the hotel and now also the apartment/studios located 20 metres from the main hotel.

A nice breakfast was available uptil noon if you fancy a lie in one day.

You get hotel discount for various things in the bar/coffeeshop.

It's location is great as its right in the centre , no trams or taxis needed , and 5 minutes walk from the Central Station.

Here you get a true taste of Amsterdam rather than the Corporate Hotel chain dull effect.

I always make this my number 1 choice when i visit Amsterdam

Room Tip: There's pictures on the website of the rooms so have a look as they are all designed differently...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Wallasey, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

Just got back from a 3day break in Amsterdam staying at 'The Greenhouse Effect'... great location, nice friendly staff, clean room (I was in the 'red light' room)... for people who know what Amsterdam is all about this is a great place to stay.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

Me and my friend have just come back from a weekend in Amsterdam, made even better by the service we received from the staff at The Greenhouse Effect. They were extremely helpful, friendly and very welcoming, the apartment we stayed in was clean, modern and had lovely views. Right in the redlight district with coffeeshops and bars a few steps away, we couldn't have asked for better. this is our 5th trip to Amsterdam and will definitely be booking our next stay at the Greenhouse Effect.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Been to The Greenhouse Effect? Share your experiences!