“Quirky!!!” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #53 of 171 Specialty lodging in Amsterdam
Newcastle
“Quirky!!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

A quirky little place to stay!!!
I was travelling on my own and checking in at the bar was an interesting experience...but I certainly always felt safe at the greenhouse effect.
I was staying on the top floor..and it was difficult trying to get luggage up three VERY steep stair cases...but I considered it a challenge.
The room is in need of some love/makeover and the bathroom was pretty gross (lots of boys sharing it)...and couldn't get the heating to work...but the bed was really cozy and great pillows.
The breakfast was really good (pretty impressed with it actually!!!) and the Greenhouse effect was in an awesome location.
Just a tip...walk from the train station..its only 5 mins and taxis can't get down the street anyway.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

186 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Singapore, Singapore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

I stayed in the single room (with bathroom) called Saloon. Room facilities is basic but that's expected. Don't be deceived by the pictures. The room looks nothing like the pictures.There's no aircon or heater so I wouldn't recommend it for winter stays. I stayed in September and already I could feel the chills. Most annoying is the lack of soundproof windows.

The hotel is located near the coffeeshops, pubs and at the edge of the red light district. While I would say it is safe for a single female traveller, the noise is just unbearable. I could hear the vehicles, the talking and even walking in the street. I had to put on earplugs eventually and even then I could STILL here the noise. I won't stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
west yorkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

I go to Amsterdam with a few lads every year; we are 40 plus so not a young stag do and there are only between three and four of us. We have stayed at a variety of places and this was amongst the best. At the time we went in September there was a conference on and I struggled to get anywhere to stay. The places that were available we're extortionately priced. I got the deluxe apartment that was just across the road and which sleeps 5, maybe even 6 for €380 for two nights, between the four of us. The "deluxe" part was taken with a pinch of salt if I'm honest and I didn't expect too much, but I was proved wrong. The apartment was on the first floor which had a large living room with sofa bed, leather settees two big chairs DVD player and flat screen tele. This went through to a large eating area with table, cooker etc and a fully stock fridge, not a mini bar, a full fridge with beers, miniatures, sweet, Pringles etc. obviously these cost and we didn't use any so I can't comment on price. There was a toilet on this floor and upstairs had a bath, shower, sink and five beds. The accommodation was very clean and we even got a towel change...unheard of for a two day lads stay!!! The staff were friendly, breakfast was included and was also very nice, help yourself to unlimited coffee, fruit drinks , fruit, muffins etc.....very nice. The residents get a pint of lager for €3.50,a bargain in 'dam! The average price is bet €5 and €8! It was noisy at night but if you're in bed when people are still up then you're wasting your holiday!!!! All in all this is a top place to stay, a five minute walk from Centraal Station, two minutes walk from the Red Light District.....brilliant. We will be staying here again on our next trip to Amsterdam.

Room Tip: The deluxe apartment was great for a group, it faces the main street, so it can be noisy, but like I...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
sheffield
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

we stopped at the greenhouse effect in july the staff could not do enough for you we had such a good time there that we are returning for christmas.we have been to amsterdam quite a lot but you cant get a better location than this.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
liverpool
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

we staid here 5yrs ago and we had the mary jane room witch was very good clean and plenty of room for 3. it is right in the center of eveythink the bar down stairs is good we did not eat here as we were always out just up the road was the sq and round the couner was the red light if thats what you want.so many places to eat and dink just a great place for a long week end and for a good price we will be back .

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Wollongbar, New South Wales, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

This hostel is a part of a coffee shop so I was abit nervous about what it was going to be but we were so impressed we rebooked for when we were returning to Amsterdam 6 weeks later. We booked the twin room to save a couple of $$ but it was so clean, had a mini bar fridge so we could buy some food and able to keep it cold. Staff were so friendly. Our room was on the third floor and I must warn the steps like most in Europe are very steep so if you are not able bodied or have difficulty with steps this may not be the place for you, but for everybody else this place is fantastic. It is situated very close to red light district so it can get a little noisy at night time but the windows are thick and if you are tired you will have no problem sleeping. Breakfast is from 9-12 and was lovely, some cold meats, cheese, toast, cereal, fruit and some pastries. Not the cheapest hostel, we paid 95euro a night but its a great location and not a scummy hostel, very pleasant and cleaned everyday as we had shared bathroom but don't be put off because on our floor there was only one other twin room and a single room so at most 5 people using bathroom and toilet (which are separate). Close to centraal station and many good restaurants close by. I would definately come again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

This hostel is a great place to stay for young people- right in the heart of the city as well as very close to Centraal Station. The hostel is really lively with a bar beneath. Before staying, I found some reviews questioning the security of the accommodation. This was not a problem at all, we had a safe in our room where we kept our passports etc. Such a great place to stay, I hope to go back soon!

Room Tip: We stayed in Turkish Delight which is good as it has two large windows and doesn't look down on...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

Been to The Greenhouse Effect? Share your experiences!