“Great food and great atmosphere” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Taj Mahal

Taj Mahal
Marie Heinekenplein 1, 1072 MH Amsterdam, The Netherlands (De Pijp)
+31 20 679 7297
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #33 of 2,580 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Cash Only, Delivery, Digital Payments, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Neighborhood: De Pijp
Description: We are traditional North-Indian restaurant specialist in Tandoori oven, Curry, Vegatarian, Birriani's and traditional North-Indian breads. We also have special desserts and drinks.
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Great food and great atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

It was a lovely ... The food is wonderfully fresh and well seasoned. Its location on the square is superb and the service very friendly and above my expectation. Definitely will eat here again soon :)

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

• Greek first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Nice restaurant but food lacking in flavour”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

Based on reviews and being mad curry fans we opted for this place as it was rated 12 out of all of them...not just in indian cuisine.

This was not indian cuisine I was used to...

I had a korai and it was sorely lacking in heat and spice more like a stew type meal. There was no onion salad and we only got two poppadoms but had asked for four; they tasted like Sharwoods finest. Not the best after a long day of walking.

Can't fault the service and portion sizes but I don't want sweetcorn in my rice thanks.

If you are not a mad curry fan and want something fairly innocuous in a nice part of town then try here but it's not worth the long walk from Dam square to here.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Authentic cuisine, great food and atmosphere. Accommodating to my request”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

Since this was my second visit to the Taj Majal I asked the server to send my dishes the way HE likes them. He was a little bit worried that it might be a little bit to hot for me but I´m from Mexico and the owner already knew that, and made a comment to that respect, he fulfilled my wish. We ordered Samosas, red lentil soup, butterfly shrimp and finally I ordered one Curry Shrimp with a spicy, red and thick sauce and everything was excellent. We also ordered the Black Cobra Beer that went great with the food and finally a delicious mango lassy for dessert . If you are curious and can stand the heat ask for the JOSE FROM MEXICO treatment.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
The Hague, The Netherlands
“Good food but service needs improvement”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

Food was good but quantity is pathetic. There was no difference in quantity between side dish and main dish. Food was tasty though. Location is great and ambiance is also nice. This restaurant is an authentic Indian restaurant. Service needs a little improvement as they take too much time for service. I found one of the waiters too rude and unprofessional as he was staring at us in a weird manner which was so unprofessional. Also, he patted on one of my friends back for informing us that he is going to get our dish soon. This is such a pathetic way of serving customers. I will not go back to this one again as there are other good value for money Indian restaurants available in Amsterdam. These guys need to get professional.

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Paris, France
“Excellent Indian restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013 via mobile

We visited this restaurant on a Friday night. It was really crowded so I would definitely recommend making a reservation.

Their menu has a wide array of choices to choose from. The food was excellent, you can see that they cook with fresh ingredients exclusively. I had the lamb karahi and my wife the prawn curry and both were excellent. I would also recommend their lassis and nans.

Service was very attentive and efficient.

Visited November 2013