“BEST 2 star i have ever stayed in Amsterdam!!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Hermitage Amsterdam

You added Hotel Hermitage Amsterdam to your Saves list
Hotel Hermitage Amsterdam
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Nieuwe Keizersgracht 16, 1018 Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Formerly Hotel Fantasia) (Binnenstad)   |
Ranked #224 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
paris
“BEST 2 star i have ever stayed in Amsterdam!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2010

Good location very very clean cheap friendly good decoration...
Do you expect more from a 2 star???
İ dont!
This is a very very good value!!!!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Cardiff, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2009

the hotel staff were very nice and helpfull and the hotel looked nice couldn't book in till 3pm on the day but got they at 10am it was a long wite to get in to the room the bathroom was small and so was the bedroom the problem was the bed it had bedbugs or something that ate us alive we didn't have one goodnights sleep and the bed was never changed when we were they and they was stains on the carpet didn't look to hard

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Cardiff, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2009

nice looking hotel friendly staff but the beds had bedbugs or some thing we were eaten alive didnt have one good nights sleep because of it. got up at 5 am the day we left just to get out of the place

Stayed December 2009
Dordrecht, The Netherlands
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2009

Stayed here for -thankfully- only one night. I was there with a friend from abroad because we thought it would be fun to stay in a hotel after a concert in Paradiso. But it wasn't fun at all, for me. After reading the reviews here and seeing the pictures, I too was convinced by the modern decor. But in my opinion, the whole black&white&silver theme is just a cover up for everything that lacks. All I need is a good bed, and a cup of tea before I go to sleep, which was not possible.

It starts after entering the very narrowl hallway with the receptionm, which is faced sideways. We where helped by the man with the long hair aswell, and yes he was nice. However you couldn't pay with a bankcard (weird) so I had to go out to get cash. The receptionist said he needed my ID while I would get money from a cashmachine! What? I said no, this felt wrong, never experienced this before. This al felt very dodgy to me. I also do not appreciate people who run a company in the Netherlands, not speaking dutch. I am very international and speak several languages, but in my own country I expect to communicate in dutch! Thankfully my friend had cash on her, cause really , I am not giving my passport to anyone.The guy joked that they would only use it for making fake ID's. But why should I trust them with my passport, if they can't trust me I will come back with money to pay the room? In our reservation it said we would have the small twin room on the 5th floor, but we where given the "nicer "room, which was located between the reception and the breakfastroom.(which means you hear people walking in and out, you hear the staff, you hear the breakfastroom being set up and an unsafe feeling cause there are no locks on the door and the hotel has the door open 24/7). At first glance, yes it looks nice. but look a little harder, and you discover the looks are just a decoy.

First the mosquitos, they where everywhere, I am covered with bites. they where even in the shower. Then the lack of remote for the tv (no problem for us, but if you stay there longer it might be) no tea&coffe facilities eventhough it said every room in this hotel would have. The lights near the beds didn't work. which meant if you had to go to the toilet during the night you would have to find your way in the dark to the main lightswitch. and then the bed. It was the worst I have ever slept in, and I've slept in some crappy situations. It was rockhard, I didn't even know hard matrasses that hard existed, it was torture, my whole body hurt. And the the odd smell, which I found out came from the wall nex to my bed; it was completely wet, with the wallpaper coming of it. Not only did this smell nasty, but for me as I am asthmatic, it meant I coughed all night. It was also very very hot in the room, but leaving the window open was not really an option as it faced the backyard where people where walking in and out, also we already had enough mosquitos inside anyway. The bedsheets which where too small for the matrasses, looked very poor. You don't care for the nice decor after all this. And really, you can't call this a designhotel (which I have seen stated here and there on the net), think ikea, it may look nice but it's just cheap. It's just a decoy. the most important thing in a hotelroom is a good bed, and it was horrible. Only the next morning I found out, after being amazed that my friend actually did get some sleep, that her matrass was completely different, and somewhat softer, She was shocked after trying mine for just a minute. Also, she did not sleep against a wet, smelly wall. which by the way is not just unhealthy for people with astma, but in general. I guess I chose the wrong side of the room.

That night in that hotel, on the rockhard bed, near the wet wall , in the heat, being accompanied by mosquitos was hell to me. Therefore I would not recommend this hotel to anyone , unless you really don't care about anything than a roof over your head. I couldn't wait for it to be morning (no sleep all night) and ofcourse we did not try the breakfast for 9,95 euro, you can get real coffee and good food elsewhere for this money. I wanted to get out of there a.s.a.p.

When we checked out there was a cranky older woman standing behind the reception to whom it was apparantly too difficult to say good morning. After waiting for minutes she finally grunted ; yes? As in what do you want. After we said we wish to check out she asked; have you payed for the room? Well yes, in cash might I add, she just kept looking at us. Why don't they keep track of such essential things?Than finally she asked if we had questions (?) then we got our bill. They couldn't even bother to spell my name correctly, I was referred to as Melaine both in person as on the bill. It also still had the old name of the hotel on it (again, weird).Never had such a weird experience both with checking in and checking out. Dodgy!! what's with the paying cash (or with credit card against an additional 4% charge) what's with the wanting to keep your passport, are they so afraid that after seeing just the reception you will not come back? Why not invest in sheets that fitt the matrass, even if it would be the cheapest they could find.

The only thing that was ok was the bathroom. although it is tiny yes, everything worked fine and it was clean.
But overall; horrible! Never again.

I tried taking some pictures of the room, but because of all the black wallpaper the room was so dark, the camera of my mobile phone didn't work well.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
Boulder Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2009

We liked the quiet location and easy to get to places. Also very clean. Just a warning: the "small double" does not have a double (or full) bed. You get a 3/4 bed for 2 people. Tough for a six-footer, as was the toilet up against a wall, you have to sit sideways. We did not try the 7 Euro cold breakfast, found a great coffee place instead. The desk was unhelpful bordering on surly and even though they swore the alarms would go off if anyone smoked, we smelled it pretty strongly every night about 11:00. I never got to see a "large double" and we were stuck with the small one due to the big IBC conference. We actually survived sleeping small and if you don't need friendly desk help this place is OK.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Zurich
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2009

the location is the best part, being a walking distance from city center,
and yet a bit far off the noise, in a quiet street.

staff wasnt nice and we tried to avoid any contact.

the room we got was really tiny, and on the fifth floor with a steep climb.
the place is decorated nice and relatively clean.

we wont stay there again, as we felt the room was very expensive relative
to what you get. next time we would look for a better place for the same money.

the only reason we dont recommend this hotel is that we feel that for the same
money we could have gotten a better deal.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Brisbane
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2009

The Hotel was a quick, 8 minute walk to the conference centre at oudemanshuispoort, at the University of Amsterdam. Its right on a quiet, but picturesque canal, and is very close to rembrandts square. The service was great, the breakfast perfect for my needs and I loved the decor. My room was modern and exceptionally clean. My windows opened all the way up - and the hotel staff went out and bought all new fans when the city was hit by a heat wave - wonderful!

I have read some of the other most recent reviews and its quite clear to me that none of the other reviewers have stayed anywhere else in the city. I have stayed at a 4 * hotel on the Dam recently - that was aweful and double the price. No windows opened, no air co, awful staff, very old decor, even smaller rooms.... I think hotel hermitage is a rare gem in a city with not alot of fab hotels....

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Hermitage Amsterdam? Share your experiences!