“A little disappointing.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Hermitage Amsterdam

You added Hotel Hermitage Amsterdam to your Saves list
Hotel Hermitage Amsterdam
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Nieuwe Keizersgracht 16, 1018 Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Formerly Hotel Fantasia) (Binnenstad)   |
Ranked #228 of 346 Hotels in Amsterdam
Sunshine coast
“A little disappointing.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

My friend and I were travelling around Europe and thought this looked like an upmarket and convenient hotel for a few nights. We were told it was just a 10 minute walk from the train station (more like 40) then we had to deal with no lift and narrow stairs. The room was ridiculously small and there was just a small amount of toilet paper when we arrived. Unlimited tea and coffee which was a bonus and the staff were pleasant. But we were very disappointed.

• Stayed July 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Hunstanton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

We were 3 guys booked into a quad room for the night which was ample spacious and served our purposes. The room was clean & tidy & adequrely served its purpose. The bathroom was a bit cramped with little leg room for the wc & the door seemed to open the wrong way, which meant that you you had to open it 180 degrees to get in and out! The only other thing worthy of mention was the narrow spiralling stairs - not great if you have had a few beers!

The second night we returned to find our room door left open which was a little concerning, particularly as the room safes did not work! Breakfast was not included but there was access to free tea & coffee in the dining area.

Location was convenient - everything seemed to be a reasonable walking distance - nothing no more than 30 mins but the hotel does rent bikes which might have been useful if my friends could all ride!

Parking is an absolute nightmare, you can find places during the day but very difficult in the evening if you do manage to find a spot, it could be quite far and also very expensive - €4 per hour & the machines don't take cash - card only! Saying the that the hotel does offer a parking service at €31 per day!

I would definately recommend the hotel to others as it was fairly good value for money!

Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
New Delhi
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

While we didn't stay here ultimately, we didn't have a very good experience.

We had booked this hotel through booking.com around 15 days before the due date. Also exchanged some emails with them with a request for a room which didn't require too much climbing as we were With heavy luggage .

However when we reached the hotel, with some difficulty , as someone gave us wrong walking directions from the closest metro station, we were told by the reception staff that our booking has been cancelled! And this cancellation was done by me! Which I was obviously very shocked and was carrying a confirmed booking printout . He Also said that such things happen sometimes. He checked with the other hotel they have ie ITC and asked us to go there, which took us 15 minutes and wasn't easy to find. Once we reached ITC we were ok but we paid the same amount in ITC as we had booked hermitage for, so don't know if they both are of the me standard and quality

I contacted booking.com and they said the booking indeed was cancelled by the hotel due to failure of credit card authorisation and was un reachable. To which I replied why was credit card authorisation left to me last day ( could have given an alternate card) and the fate that I was of plane for 24 hours, was the reason of not being reachable. Booking.com did finally apologise on behalf of the hotel and for the hotel staff giving the wrong information as to why the room was cancelled

I guess the hotel did an over booking. But we still had a great time and stay at Amsterdam with ITC hotel

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Athens
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

Nice hotel, next to metro station, clean with friendly staff. If the completely good breakfast was included in the booking price, the whole package would seem more reasonable, as regards its price.
The location and the rooms' view are great too!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Pasadena, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

The Hotel Hermitage is in a nice, quiet location with easy access to public transportation and pretty much anything you'd want to see or do. We stayed on the 5th floor. There is no elevator and the stairs are pretty narrow. This is something I was aware of when booking, however, if you have a lot of luggage or are unfit, you may want to consider staying on a lower floor. The wifi signal was also terrible up there. The photos on the website do a good job of concealing how shabby it actually is. While I found the rooms to be clean, there were missing tiles in the bathroom and peeling wallpaper. It was unseasonably cold and rainy while we visited and the heat didn't work, so we spent the night wearing as many layers as possible and shivering. The staff was friendly, but there was a different person behind the desk each time I went by, and some were more helpful than others. Overall, I found it to be just ok, but I don't know if I would stay again given another choice, especially if it was cold out.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Budapest, Hungary
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Maybe I booked a little late, but for 100 euro a night I'd have expected more. However the room had a nice interior, the bathroom was way too small (even getting in and out of the shower needed some cat-like moves and standing in front of the sink/mirror was impossible as the toilet was in the way). Nevertheless I had a quality time in Amsterdam, so why would I care about the hotel, right?

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Hermitage Amsterdam? Share your experiences!