“Excellent place to stay in Amsterdam” 4 of 5 stars

MEININGER Hotel Amsterdam City West
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Orlyplein 1-67, 1043 DR Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #98 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Sao Paulo, SP
“Excellent place to stay in Amsterdam”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

We staid there for 4 days and it was really good! Excellent price, good sized room and everything was very clean. The room we staid was a bit bigger than what we paid for because all the other rooms were full. Management was always very polite. The hotel is steps away from the Amsterdam Sloterdijk train station which is only 5 minutes away from Amsterdam Ceentral (the main station).

The Hotel also has a bar, where you can hang out, order some food and just chill. It also has a very practical kitchen where you can cook your own food.

By the way, don't bother with the public transport tickets, the Metro is useless and the trams get some time to get used to. Also don't take the canal tour, it sucks! The Free tour that the city offers is GREAT and you will pay less in tips than the price for two people.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Wallasey, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

I stayed at this hotel from 6th-10th February and i cannot say a bad word against it. The staff were very helpful, our room was spotless and facilities great. The hotel is not in the center of Amsterdam which i thought would be annoying, however the train station is right next to it and around a 5 minute journey in to the center costing 4 euros 70 for a return ticket which you can use as many times as you like. We didn't expect our rooms to be cleaned every day but they were, and we were given fresh towels everyday too. I never ate in the hotel restaurant however it was always busy. There are also cooking facilities there for you to use if you wanted to save money and cook in the hotel. They provided pasta and rice for free as well as fridge space and oven facilities. Overall it was an excellent visit and i would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: The rooms were sound proof so would not matter what floor you're on.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Londres, Reino Unido
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

The hotel is nice and clean, good value for money.
However there should be more directions on the station, because we had some trouble finding the hotel at night...
There is also no restaurant, and the bar only serves light snacks, there is no dinner.
The breakfast costs 5 euros per person, but I think is worth the money. Not much choice, but just enough.
The shower was pretty good too, with nice pressure.
The hotel room was always warm when we arrived from the city.
The staff is nice and overall very helpful.
The hotel is not central but there are good transport links.

I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Winston Salem, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

So we stayed here for one night while in Amsterdam. I felt the location was really good. It is the second stop from the AMS airport . It took us maybe 10mins from the airport to the Sloterdijk Station. From the airport to Sloterdijk it cost 3.70euros. 1 way. When you arrive at the station, go out the building, make a right and you can see the hotel. Head down the steps and you are there. We arrived early and were able to check-in. We had a room for 6 (six beds) on the 1st floor. The layout of the room was perfect! Two sets of bunk beds and two singles pushed together. There were lockers and a table with stools. There is a HD TV mounted on the wall. The room was very spacious. As mentioned in a previous review, the toilet is in a separate room from the sink/shower. Yet if one wants to shower, it doesn't bother the one using the toilet. Liquid soap is provided in a dispenser. Like most European hotels, wash clothes are not given, only Towels and hand towels. You can tell the rooms are very knew and still well kept. The beds were comfortable and overall the room is outstanding for the price!
The hotel is very lively. All staff spoke English very well and were very good on suggestions, directions and advice on the surrounding areas. I would suggest to buy an all day metro,tram and bus card. Just in case you get lost you don't have to worry about extra money for transportation. The front desk sells them also. I guess Amsterdam is on a honor system because no one every came to check our tickets nor did we have to validate them anywhere. Central Station is the next stop over and it took 4 mins to arrive. The price I think was 2.60 euros. 1person 1way. (UTIGANG on a green sign means exit, just FYI, we were walking all over Central Station trying to figure out how to get out. Since the train wasnt busy while we were on it there wasnt really anyone to follow.)
The Sloterdijk station has a hot dog/fries place to eat and I also saw a Starbucks. There is a ticket counter that you can buy tickets from vs attempting to use the machine. The transportation system here is really good!
The ONLY reason that I cannot give this stay a 5star is because around 230am we heard a knock at our door. After the second set of knocks someone from the front desk walked in our room. They indicated they had an alarm in our room and asked was everything ok. They didn't stay long and I felt as it appeared we were getting frantic they left the room after saying "sorry." Well it didn't settle well with any of us. Number one because I felt that we were not given enough time to get up to open the door. Since there are no phones in the room we couldn't call down to verify in fact there was an employee who had just entered our room. So we didn't go out until that morning. When I did check with the front desk the next morning he had no documentation on any kind of alarm going off in our room nor was there any notation on the account. As I described the employee they front desk did verify the staff worked there. It put my mind a little at ease but I also stayed up for two hours after the incident kinda on patrol. So I didnt really sleep good.
The front desk staff apologized to us and offered us all free breakfast for the disturbance. Since we were off to the airport we didnt end up eating it at the hotel. From what I saw the breakfast consist of cereals, pastries, cold cuts and juices/coffee.
I contacted personnel at the hotel once I got home about eh issue we had that night. They did responded to the situation. Between myself and them I gave some better suggestions to prevent this from happening in the future. As usual I have attached some pictures. Email me if you have any questions and if this review helps dont forget to hit the yes button below and let me know!.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Barry, Wales, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

Myself and 3 other 18-year-old friends went to Amsterdam in August 2012 and after searching all over, we picked Meininger for our hotel - mainly because it was so cheap, costing like 65 Euros for 5 days! We had seen some pictures on the net but were slightly skeptical as this hotel was 'brand new' and these pictures were from another Meininger hotel elsewhere.
However, we were pleasantly surprised when we arrived realising how good our hotel actually was, especially considering the 3* rating. The rooms are modern and comfortable - they looked much better than your own bedrooms! In addition, there were only four of us staying yet when we opened our door we noticed 2 bunk beds and a double bed so needless to say we stayed in different beds as we pleased. It was also convenient having light switches next to the beds and mini lights for those in the bunk beds. The power shower was awesome and the room was quite spacious that it was placed in. The wash basin and toilet were also very nice having separate areas for all shower, toilet and sink.
The service was great. The staff were always kind and very welcoming, having a good laugh with us day after day, and mocking us for our drunken antics too. The hotel manager once closed off the bar for a private event but once everyone cleared out we asked the manager if we could play pool...first he refused but then moments later shouted us back and let us play pool quietly, then offering us a drink courtesy of the hotel which we thought was a nice incentive.
When we arrived too, I had all of my mates' money for the hotel on my card but silly me forgot to account for the added cost of using my card abroad and resultantly my card had 'insufficient funds'. I panicked but the woman at the reception was very understanding and said we didn't have to pay it right away, even adding we could pay when we left - not a smooth plan with my mates. Luckily, I had an emergency credit card with me which I later used.
Drinks at the bar were at first expensive costing roughly 4 Euros per bottle/pint but after visiting the 'Dam we realised that was actually quite cheap so we always pre-drank in the bar first or with Absinthe we purchased (about 35 euros for a 70 cl bottle).
The only down side I really had with the hotel was the location. We were all interested in getting hammered/high as kites but the location sometimes was a hindrance. Sure it's right near the station - which has a shop called 'The Donner Company, serving the BEST donner ever - but it took like 10 minutes on the train and if you're up for partying you'd have to leave for the train pretty early with the last trains being around 1ish in the morning, leaving us carrying on the night in the hotel's bar.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

Sound staff. 24 hr bar. Right beside train station. Decent price. Nice facilities. Great atmosphere.

Only downside was the parking. The receptionist told us to use the train station car park when we could've used the public pay parking which worked out cheaper!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

I stayed here in mid December and it was worth every penny. The hotel is conveniently located next to the Sloterijk train station. The staff is extremely friendly and helpful. The entire building is modern and clean and the shower pressure is terrific. There is also unlimited wi-fi. You just have to go to the front desk for the new password every 24hrs. I would recommend this hotel to my family and friends.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Been to MEININGER Hotel Amsterdam City West? Share your experiences!