“Sadly disappointing experience” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Resistance Museum (Amsterdams Verzetsmuseum)

The Resistance Museum (Amsterdams Verzetsmuseum)
Plantage Kerklaan 61a, 1018 Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Binnenstad)
31 20 620 25 35
Ranked #14 of 544 things to do in Amsterdam
Nurnberg
“Sadly disappointing experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

There were many great Dutch resistance fighters during the war, but none of these peoples stories were exhibited. It is really just an overview of life in the Netherlands under the Nazis, and not a very interesting one at that, alas...

• Polish first
  • Turkish first
6 attraction reviews
“A worthwhile hour”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

An interesting museum with a good deal of focus on the treatment of Jews in the Netherlands. The displays were well laid out and the interactive display windows were well thought out.

London, United Kingdom
8 attraction reviews
“very moving”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

this is well worth a visit to understand what the Dutch went through during the War. Very moving and haunting what happened to the Jews, too unreal to believe. many of the notices were in english which was very helpful and interesting

Concord, New Hampshire
23 attraction reviews
“Interesting, Informative but not what I'd expected entirely”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

It may have just been my expectation but the museum wasn't exactly what I expected. What I expected was that their would be a lot of stories, exhibits and little known facts about the individuals who resisted the Nazi domination in Amsterdam during WWII. I did get some of that, but there weren't quite as many individual stories of heroism and daring that I'd expected. Moreso...and this isn't a bad thing at all, I came away from the museum with a better understanding of how the Dutch people came to capitulate to the Nazis. The process of domination was really well documented in this museum, and I could understand how people at first didn't realize what was happening, and how soon they were really trapped in a situation that they could either submit to or resist. The museum covered the policies that were established by the Germans to document, and track the people in the city...and how those that resisted early on were punished as examples. There were a few stories of individual acts of heroism and risk, but also a fair amount of space & time is devoted to the establishment of underground newspapers and really HOW the Germans established their domination. One issue I took with the museum is that it was all about how the Jews were persecuted...there was no mention whatsoever about the gays, the gypsies, the intelligensia and others that were also discriminated against and sent to camps. In a way, I felt that the museum presentation was less about Dutch resistance, but more about how the invasion and domination was implemented, and then oh, by the way, here are some stories of people who resisted and how. Perhaps this is even better than what I had expected, from an educational and understanding perspective, but it was a little different than I had expected. I'd also like to add that though the information was awesome, I found the layout a little confusing and distracting. Its a little like a maze & you're supposed to flow through it, but there were times I wasn't sure if I was supposed to go down this aisle or that next. I will also add that the woman at the front desk was a little surly, and not very welcoming. I entered with a large party (9), and this seemed to overwhelm her a little bit & she was really concerned about making sure everyone paid. We had every intention of paying, but she was kind of tense about it. I don't know if I'd go again, but I sure do want to learn more about the brave Dutch who risked their lives to oppose the Nazis.

Washington DC
37 attraction reviews
“Excellent museum and another WWII perspective”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

We loved this. Not a large museum, and you can easily do in an hour if you read everything. But very well laid out, lots of exhibits, artifacts, documents, movies, and history. It is laid out in a chronological sequence and it flows nicely. I have heard lots of American and British perspectives on the war, but it was refreshing to get the view from the "inside" of what it is like being occupied and how much is possible to do for resistance. I enjoyed that they posed many ethics questions to think about, do you resist, adapt, or hide? And how they presented real life stories from people that had to grapple with extremely difficult decisions in that regard. We had this as a lower priority on our trip, but I would put it at the top because of how well done it was.