“Ok place” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Iron Horse

You added Hotel Iron Horse to your Saves list
Hotel Iron Horse
3.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   Overtoom 33, 1054 HB Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Vondelpark)   |
Ranked #119 of 306 Amsterdam B&B and Inns
Bundaberg, Australia
“Ok place”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

My husband booked this hotel because it stated it was .7 k from Central Station..... It's not you would need a taxi or catch the hop on hop off bus or boat. Overall is a lovely hotel, clean and had what we needed except opening windows. As our air conditioner was broken and blowing hot air only, the room was stifling. They couldn't or wouldn't change our room and could not offer any other alternative we asked for a fan which did help a bit. Honestly it was so hot in there and the weather outside was 15c. This really ruined my time there we stayed one night only.

Room Tip: If air con was working it would be good accommodation. It has trams out the front.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

Just came back from a lovely 3night stay at Hotel Iron Horse. Staff were very pleasant, room very clean with towel & bedding change, TV, great shower pressure and soft beds. Their notice reads hotel refurbished (2012) A previous guest I'd met from USA thought room was small, but to me it's similar in size to most city hotels I have stayed: perfectly fitting as a city base, however there is no fridge and our window could not open!
Location: very close to Vondel Park, Rijks Museum and some main bus/tram stops - can get bus 197 from Airport to hotel 35minutes €4. In fact if this is first time travelling to Amsterdam you will find it easy to find/walk to most places Dam Sq, Red Light District, Anne Frank House you cannot really get lost. It's a charming city you will have fun meandering from one destination to another: or via a canal ride you can book tix from most places in Centrum (we paid €12.50).
The hotel has a good mini market and chemist three doors either side and its also around corner from Leidesplein district with many bars and restaurants to choose from, Iron Horse proved easy getting home from the local nightlife. A relaxed city we felt very safe here.

• Stayed April 2013
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

I stayed here one night only on a business trip and wasn't expecting much because the room was so cheap, but the room was comfortable, with a much larger bathroom than many European hotels. Rooms at the rear facing onto the courtyard are quiet, and the beds are comfortable. There are plenty of options for breakfast in the neighbourhood, including a café right next door. The hotel breakfast is not good value.

Room Tip: Rooms not facing the street are quieter. Like all older Dutch buildings, the stairs are very steep.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Pijnacker, Netherlands
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

I booked three days at this hotel, my last stop on a twelve day European trip. My son returned from Afghanistan/ US Army while I was away. There was a serious emergency back home and I had to cut the trip short. Delta/KLM accommodated the change with speed and compassion. Not so this hotel. I used booking.com for the reservation and despite two contacts from them and a personal appeal form me, the management refused to cancel even one night of the reservation! I understand a cancellation policy but how about understanding an Emergency? No Humanity. the desk staff is very rude and by the way, NO Parking anywhere near the place. Do Not Stay Here if you want a warm wonderful travel experience.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Arlington, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights and were pleased with the room, which was very clean and modern, though simply furnished. If you are a light sleeper ask for a room that does not face the street. Excellent location. Reception staff were helpful. We arrived quite early in the day and were offered an early check-in, which was very appreciated.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Vilnius County, Lithuania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

My husband and I and our 16 mos. old stayed at this hotel over Easter weekend. I requested a room with a baby crib, and called to confirm it, and it was waiting in our room when we arrived. No problems there. We were put in Room 203 - which is above the front door on the street side. There was a lot of traffic noise, and you hear a LOUD creak/whine noise every time someone opens the door downstairs. If you are a light sleeper, this is NOT the room for you. The room was small, but clean, bathroom had good water pressure and plenty of hot water. Nothing fancy, standard everything. Bed was super soft. If you like a firmer bed... probably not for you.

Staff... they were nice - but seemed a bit clueless, or perhaps like they didn't care? We asked for some breakfast place suggestions (on Saturday) and were told that everything was closed. So, thinking it was weird, but okay... we opted to have the breakfast in the hotel. Your choices are meats, cheeses, yogurt, fruit, a few bread options, hard boiled egg and some cereals.. plain and simple. After breakfast, we left and discovered everything in fact was open (shame on us for being fools). What the heck was she talking about? I later inquired about a sign on her desk advertising a tour to the Keukenhoff garden which we were planning to do the next day... she told me - "They aren't open yet." - I told her, they are in fact open, and we are going the next day. She got on her computer, looked it up and was like, huh. I guess they are. I didn't bother wasting my time with her. They didn't seem to have any suggestions, or be able to help with anything. After that, we avoided reception until it was time to leave. I found locals more helpful than the hotel staff.

Misc: Stairs are steep. Tram stop close to hotel, also within walking distance were plenty of restaurants and shops.

One random note... the maid cleaned the room - and my hubby left a shirt on the floor. When we came back to the room - she'd vacuumed and then clearly thrown his shirt back on the floor... or perhaps she vac'd around it? I thought that was weird. I've gone to a LOT of hotels, and the maids always places stray objects on a desk or bed, even folding down baby cots and placing my daughter's rabbit neatly on the pillow... this hotel did none of these things.

I would not return to this hotel in the future.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

NEVER AGAIN, DONT STAY AT THE IRON HORSE. The Hotel is fine, would be 4 great days in amsterdam but NO, the staff is literally full of thieves they will rip you off with nonsense accusations.
After a long day walking in old amsterdam we went to the Hotel very tired just wishing for my bed, after aprox 2 hours of sleep around 2:30 am, a guy knocks in my door telling me the alarm went off and that we were smoking in the room and without my consent the guy went inside my room yelling, my friend was still sleeping, after he see that we WASNT smoking at all he just said to us that we would have to pay 150 EURO and thats it, i asked why ? he said the alarm went off, i said but we were sleeping... after that we went back to sleep and in the other day the manager told us that we should pay the fine or leave the hotel with 2 more days already paid.
Conclusion... they can charge how much they want for whatever they want, the truth doesn't matter, the only thing it matter is your money in their pockets and they will take it even if they had to break in your room in the middle of the night with you sleeping.
I never been so bad treated before in my life, i was literally robbed, with this scheme they will take your money with no problem... IRON HORSE = STAFF OF THIEVES

Room Tip: if you are looking to stay close to Leidseplain, there's plenty of better hotels with great peop...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Iron Horse? Share your experiences!