“Average hotel, poor stay” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Atlantis

Save Saved
You added Hotel Atlantis to your Saves list
Hotel Atlantis
3.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   Ceintuurbaan 215-217, Amsterdam 1074 CV, The Netherlands (Stadsdeel Zuid)   |
Ranked #186 of 301 Amsterdam B&B and Inns
Sydney, Australia
“Average hotel, poor stay”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

This hotel wasn't amazing, but I guess you get what you pay for.

We initially had big problems with our booking. We received an email a few days before we were due to arrive requesting the details of a different credit card because they were unable to run ours to pre-authorise it. They said we needed to reply within 24 hours or we would lose the booking. I replied immediately asking if we could call to give them the info (I don't like to send credit card info in response to random emails!) but got no reply. We called a few hours later to follow up and were stuck on the phone until we ran out of credit (more than 15 minutes) while the man on the other end looked for our booking. We then emailed them again asking them to call us back urgently. We waited for them to call back for the rest of the day. The following morning we found a wifi zone and called again with Skype (still within 24 hours of the initial email we received). The man said we never had any booking (that they had cancelled or otherwise). We referred him to the booking confirmation and to the email exchange of the last 24 hours. He had to concede it looked like we did have a booking, but as it wasn't in their system we were just lucky they had a free room to put us in.

When we arrived we spent another 10 minutes at the desk while they searched for the booking, again initially saying they didn't have it! Thank goodness they did find it eventually. We asked the girl to mark where the hotel was on a map and she marked a point we later found out was about 3 blocks from the hotel. I don't know how you can work at a hotel and not know where it is on a map...

We stayed in room 2. Something in the bathroom was leaking so there was a constant puddle on the floor, it smelt a little like sewerage in the bathroom, the wifi didn't work, and the room's only window opened into the courtyard where people smoked. So either we had the window closed and had that faint sewerage smell, or had it open and had cigarette smoke wafting in. We asked the desk about changing rooms but they said they were fully booked. We also asked about the wifi and they suggested another network, but this also didn't work. By this point we were a bit tired of talking to the desk staff so we gave up.

Last bad point- there was an awful group there the same time as us who got extremely loud in the courtyard about 3am the first night we stayed. Given people's rooms front up to this courtyard I feel it should perhaps be closed to drinking/yelling from midnight or something? On the second night two of the people in this group got in a HUGE argument in the middle of the night, screaming and crying and slamming doors and punching walls and it really sounded like someone was going to get hit. It was really concerning, and the hotel staff didn't do anything even though there was someone at reception less than 15 metres from where this was all taking place. I wouldn't expect them to get in the middle, but it is their job to keep the hotel quiet and maybe call the police if they think there's a situation that's too dangerous for them to get involved in. As it was, they let it carry on for an hour or so, then the girl involved stormed out into the night. Unfortunately she returned soon after and spent another good half hour crying loudly and lamenting drunkly to a friend in the courtyard. We did go to the desk again the following day to ask again about moving rooms further from these people and were again told the hotel was full. They did say they spoke to the group and if it happened again they would get the police involved. So that was something, but I think perhaps this policy should have been in place already?

Aside from these issues the location is good, the room was fine in terms of size and amenities, the price was right, the room was clean (other than the puddle in the bathroom). I'm tossing up between giving this a poor or an average, but I think for our particular experience it was a poor.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms with windows into the courtyard if you don't like cigarette smoke wafting into your...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

123 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

My boss booked this room and for what she paid (less than 70 euros/night I think...) I didn't expect much. I was very pleasantly surprised and would recommend this great little hotel to anyone looking for a basic, well located hotel at a decent price.

The location is great, very handy to trams that got me quickly to the conference center in one direction or central Amsterdam in the other.

I found that the people of Amsterdam were exceptionally friendly and polite and helpful. It seems like a happy place, generally! But I was particularly impressed with the staff at this hotel.

Things go wrong. It's how you deal with it that matters. I had trouble with internet access in my room - a nuisance but the staff were quick to sort it. They were also very helpful with directions and suggestions... getting taxis... that kinda stuff.

Bikes are everywhere in Amsterdam. The trams were enough of an adventure for me, this time anyway. But next time I'm in Amsterdam I'll definitely stay at the Atlantis and next time I'll take advantage of the bicycles they have for guests to use!

The breakfast room is OK but the breakfast is mediochre, for 9 euros. It was handy for me when I was in a rush but I bet you could get a better breakfast if you had time to look around the neighbourhood for a cafe.

Speaking of around the neighbourhood... I was busy with work most of my week in Amsterdam but on my last day I had a few hours off to wander around on my own a bit. Just around the corner from the Atlantis I found a fantastic street market -- food, clothes, gifts, souvenirs... full of life. Really glad I found it! Ask the concierge to point you towards it.

The photos on the hotel website are accurate. My pic is of the market around the corner.

Enjoy Amster

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

This hotel had excellent customer service team, and was a great price however the room wasn't fantastic. It wasn't terrible - but it did have an offputting lingering smell of chemicals, and there was no air conditioning or windows. We were here two nights. The location is ok - there is a tram at the end of the street but there isn't a lot to do in the neighbourhood. Overall a decent stay but nothing to write home about.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Carlisle, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for 4 nights in June. The checking in process was polite, efficient and delivered in perfect English. The room was large enough, clean and failry quiet with an exremely comfortable bed. The bathroom was also clean and large enough, although the shower curtain did have a tendency to stick to you. The Hotel is very handy for the tram stop and we found it not too far to walk in to Amsterdam, although our walks were normally punctuated with a stop for a coffee or something stronger. We didn`t have breakfast in the Hotel.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 202 which is at the rear of the Hotel and it was quiet.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Northampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

The hotel is quite a long way out of town centre so do not make the mistake as us and walk there from Central Station, took us 1.5 hour to walk it!!!
The hotel staff were great and I have to thank them dearly for letting us check in at 11am, we were tired (our flight was at 6am) and cold and not having to wait was a blessing! The rooms are on the small side but you don't visit Amsterdam to stay in your room all day! Apart from that the location is pretty good with a nice park close by, Albert Hein supermarket and a few restaurants nearby but most importantly for me there was somewhere to get my "real" coffee in the morning a minute away called The Coffee Company. We stayed in a room at the back of the hotel and didn't hear the trams which run at the front of the hotel. Would definitely go back :-)

Room Tip: Back of the hotel as they have a balcony and you can't hear the trams!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Hereford, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for 3 nights in room 201 which was on the small side but adequate. The balcony was an added bonus but meant we only had a door to outside and no window, so we had to leave the door ajar all night for ventilation. Lovely comfy beds. Free coffee, tea and dried milk for the first day, not replenished on the second day but more left for the third. No mugs provided to drink it from so had to buy plastic ones or use the glasses from the bathroom. Very quiet during the night as we were at the back overlooking gardens. Hotel is in easy reach of all the city has to off either by walking to by tram. Would stay there again. Staff were helpful on arrival. Had no cause to speak to them again. We did not eat breakfast in the hotel so cannot comment on that.

• Stayed May 2013

Been to Hotel Atlantis? Share your experiences!