“Good value & Good location” 4 of 5 stars

Kooyk Hotel
1.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Leidsekade 82, 1017 PM Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #213 of 350 Hotels in Amsterdam
Los Angeles/Amsterdam
“Good value & Good location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2010

It was a good hotel in a good location. When I booked the room, I didn't realize at first the bathroom facilities were shared, but we had a sink in our room. We also had a TV in our room. The hotel itself is a little run-down, musty, but it is VERY clean. The toilet, & shower were always clean. When we entered our room, it was clean. We had the room with the weird spot in the floor, but it was no bother. Oh, & the mouse comment from other reviewers... there are often mice in any place in Amsterdam if there is not a cat. This is why cafes & restaurants have cats living in them, keeps the mice away. We saw no mouse in the hotel & it is really clean. We did not have a chance to enjoy the breakfast, but there were good reviews. The noise level was pretty quiet until the morning. We were sleeping in and all the doors shutting in the morning made me crazy, but I am a light sleeper. Overall, it was very good. I would recommend to easy-going people who understand what a great value they are getting.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2010

I found this hotel comforable, clean and the included breakfast was very good. Coming from the USA, it is unsual to have this type of hotel. There is no elevator, the good thing is that the host helped us with the luggage up the stairs. The bathroom is very tiny and the shower bathroom is in a different hallway, also very tiny. The location of the hotel was perfect and in a safe area.
I liked the hotel, it was just different from what I am used to in the USA.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Concord, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2010

Do not book at this hotel. I had a reservation in August. I had booked the reservation eight months in advance. I was traveling with my daughter. When I arrived at the hotel, I found out that the owner Maryf Moonen had given our room away. She stated that she had e-mailed me three days prior to our arrival and that my credit card hadn't gone through. She was yelling the whole time and rude was putting it mildly. We ended up in a place that cost me one hundred euros more than I had planned to be paying to stay at the Kooyk Hotel. Her husband was taking all her abuse and seemed to be a very sweet man. I truly believe the owner to be heartless. Glad we didn't stay there, but it really cut into our budget to spend the extra 100 euros..

• Stayed August 2010
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2010

Hotel Kyook is in a perfect location in Leidseplein - tons of public transportation, coffeshops, cafes, good restaurants, tons of nightclubs nearby and the St. Nicolaas Boat Club where you can get a cool boat ride around the canals. You can even hop on the public bus from the airport directly to Leidseplein, which is about 2 minutes walk away from the hotel. But like I said, that's all. My friends & I chose this hotel because they could accommodate all 7 of us in a room. The room was just ok, and had the old musty smell. The room had 2 wash basin in it. The shower is a flight down and the toilet is about 10 steps away from our room. There are no elevators, and the staircase are very steep. The shower & toilet can get very dirty in the evening. There was one night when the toilet ran out of toilet rolls! The breakfast was very basic and if they run out of bread, it's too bad - they don't do refills. I will not return to this hotel.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
Avignon, France
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2010

We entered the room to find the carpet was saturated with water, the smell of dampness was overwhelming. As my partner stepped next to the bed his foot fell into a hollow where the floor board had rotted away under the carpet! We went and told them about the wet floor and they just said oh the rain must have come through the window, no offer to move us to a cleaner room. The shower was revolting, it was dirty and felt claustraphobic. It was in a good location but to cut a long story short it was really old and dirty, and unless you want to come away with chest infections, as I did, from the damp don't stay there!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
greenock, scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2010

This hotel was one of the vest budget hotels ive ever satyed at in eh dam. If it's just somewhere to put your head down at night and a free brekkie in eh morning. Then this is the place for you. My wife and i both loved this hotel bed was comfy brekkie was typical dutch breakfast(toast, jams,butter,cold meat and cheese) The only thing was the swhared bathroom but to be honest we never once had to wait for it. Always kept clean. I have read other peoples comments about this place. But they must have been expecting 3*+ it clearly states 1* the staff were very helpful and always a pleasure to talk to. We would recommend this place for any1 whos looking for a cheap,clean,cheerful and comfortable(the 4 c). place to stay and sleep. Was never once woke up at night. never heard any noise at night at all. Loved it so much were going back on the 25 october for 5 nights. Hope this info helps other like minded people like ourselfs(easygoing).

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2010

Well me and my friends stayed for four nights and these were possibly the four worst nights ever. Firstly we had a mouse in our room on our first night which would not leave so i had no sleep at all that night i also saw it in the corridor having a midnight run,

We told the staff about this in the morning and we were spoken to extremely rudely by the manager and were told that amsterdam is full of mice and to basically deal with it as she had for 30 or so years.

We then asked to change rooms and were given a smaller room for 3 when we had arranged for four guests to stay so e were given an ultimatum either stay in the room with the mice or cramp all four of us into an extremely small room so we decided on the small room. So for the rest of the time we stayed we were all cramped and uncomfortable.

The Male staff i have to say were slightly more understanding even though one did insult me!!! but the female star are rude and should not be dealing with customers!!! The toilet and shower are tiny cubicles and i did not try the breakfast due to the whole mouse episode all in all will not ever stay at this hotel again and would strongly advise anyone against it.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Kooyk Hotel? Share your experiences!