“Quirky and cozy” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #222 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Point Arena, CA
“Quirky and cozy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2006

I haven't read the other reviews of this hotel yet, but I've seen some of the opening lines -- rude owner, icy shower, etc.

The owner, Pierre, was absolutely friendly to us. He was always smiling and helpful -- definitely quirky. (Maybe he liked me because I always greeted him in Dutch?) That's why I liked this place. The interior smells kind of like licorice and smoke, but it's not strong, and it adds to its odd coziness.

The room we stayed in, #7 downstairs, was simple and warm, with a really comfortable bed. Some of the travelers upstairs were noisy, but only one night, so just bring earplugs in case. We never had any problems with the shower.

The location of this place is fabulous. It's right around the corner to Leidseplein and right by the Rijksmuseum, Vondelpark, trams, theaters, etc.

• Stayed May 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
East Midlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2005

We were a group of girls staying here for a birthday weekend in Amsterdam so wanted a budget hotel near all the action of Leidesplein. It's a GREAT location for this, just round the corner, so saving our high heeled feet for dancing!

The hotel is an old building so be aware the stairs are steep and narrow. Our room was nice and big, with a seating area as well as sleeping areas, plenty of storage and a sink with hot and cold water. The plug sockets were a bit wobbly though, but after a bit of wiggling we were able to use them. We had clean towels to use and the room got cleaned/beds made and the towels replaced each day. The beds were comfortable too.

We had a great view of the canal and the toilet was just across the corridor, and another one just down the corridor, although these were small they were clean and had plenty of toilet paper all the time.

The showers were ok, and although I never had a hot one, some of the others did - I guess it just depended on which one you went in.

The staff were friendly and spoke good english although found it a bit difficult to split our bill - and there is a surcharge for paying by card, so it would be easier to pay all as one group. She also came to our room later to claim the 90 cents that she had left off the bill!! Note also that there is a 10 Euro deposit you have to pay for your key which you get back at the end of your stay.

We were able to leave our bags there after checkout (in one of the corridors) until we wanted to pick them up.

For the price of the room and the location, it was a great place to stay on a budget, and if I was going back in a group I would definitely stay there again, we had a ball!

• Stayed October 2005
london
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2005

The hotel was squeaky, every step you take is accompanied by a squeak of the floor. It is pretty noisy too as i could hear every movement of the occupant above me and of people talking and walking outside my room. Worst of all, there's no decent hot shower available! The water warms abit then turns EXTREMELY cold, then suddenly EXTREMELY hot again. This cycle repeats a few times before the water turns cold and never becomes hot again. So my advice if you actually stay here (which i won't recommend) is to shower quickly... because it's just too much of a torture.

• Stayed July 2005
scotland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2005

me & my friend spent 3 nights here in december 2004 & found it good value for the money..breakfast was good although we managed to sleep in 2 mornings out of the 3 that we were there..must have been the late nights out visiting coffeeshops...i would use it again without hesitation and had no complaints about anything..staff were helpful and spoke good english..it is nicely placed to the bulldog and many other cafes...great value for the money and when i return to the dam will be staying at the kyook

• Stayed December 2004
UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2005

I must admit that I have not stayed in this hotel, but I had reserved a single room in this hotel for 6 nights in September of 2005 based upon the general description of the hotel given on the various hotel booking websites.

However, upon reading some of the reviews from this website that described the Owner's overly tempermental reactions to apparently justifiable complaints (reviews from Nov. 9 2004, especially Oct. 25 2004, and March 4 2003) I decided that I did not want to try my luck with such a hotelier, and booked the same 6 nights for 20 euros less with Hotel Abba instead, whose numerous positive reviews on this website tipped the balance of chance in favour of a better overall experience. (Someone needs to tell this guy that he's being reviewed and it's not all good!)

I have been to Amsterdam many times. Travellers from the States (I'm American by the way, living in the UK) should understand that in general, these budget hotels are situated in very old (hundreds of years in many cases) buildings and that the general architecture of these row houses is vertical (very vertigo staircases) with extremely small (by modern standards) rooms! They do what they can with what they've got. So please don't have culture shock in this regard. If you're coming to Old World Europe, there's bound to be Old World character!

However, rudeness by current Owners, saggy beds, and general uncleanliness is avoidable, and I choose to avoid these types of confrontations. I'm sure the breakfast is lovely, but if something goes wrong, I wouldn't want to have to approach an indignant and tempermental Owner, no matter how little I'm paying for the room!

I think this type of review process is very helpful.

Stayed June 2005
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2005

Amsterdam is a lovely city with many, many hotels. I would advise that you find somewhere else to stay than the Kooyk Hotel. The service and accomodations were sub par, and certainly below the standards of most decent youth hostels in Europe. Decidingly NOT worth the €70 price.

Reservations: Our confirmed canal view room was unavailable at check in due to "flooding" and a ground floor garden room substituted. We were also told that there was a 5% surcharge for using a credit card--information not revealed when making the initial reservation.

Room: The room was spartan and dingy, with a strong odor of cleanser attempting to cover the pervasive smell of mildew. The sink didn't drain properly, and the other bathroom facilities did not fare much better. Although the room seemed superficially clean, I remained unconvinced that it was actually clean. Security was also somewhat sketchy.

Experience: Our room was very noisy, despite the hotel's location on a quiet canal. Other guests caused disruptions throughout the night, which were not addressed by the absent hotel staff. We avoided our hotel as much as possible, and would have moved to another hotel if it wouldn't have involved forfeiting the entire €70 price.

Just not worth the hassle and pain. Spending an extra €10-20 gets you a far nicer place--it'll be worth it.

• Stayed May 2005
Buenos Aires, Argentina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2005

I have just returned from The Kooyk hotel, Amsterdam after spending the weekend there. It was part of my travel A- level course to book a group trip. There were 15 of us in total. The owner was very helpful and emailed us with details of how to get to the Hotel and great places to eat that evening. We managed to book a nice italian restaurant in advance for the fri night called 'Fantasia Pizzeria' REALLY close to the hotel.
The rooms were ok, but what can you expect from a budget hotel?!!! We had clean sheets, hot and cold water in rooms and they provided us with towels. Fortunatly we did not discover any bed bugs ear wigs or other insects of that sort as written in previous reviews! However we were shocked on arrival to find a mouse trapped in a bin in the corridor, but that was the ONLY one we saw. The toilets were all in working order and the showers were fine.
The loction could not have been better! Just a 3 minute walk from Leidspleine, where there are loads of shops, bars and cafes etc. Our room had a great veiw of the canal.
Breakfast was good, however the toast was cold! There was plenty of choice though. I would DEFFINATELY reccomend this hotel for travellers on a budget. We had an amazing weekend and i would not change anything. the hotel was better than i thought

Stayed April 2005

Been to Kooyk Hotel? Share your experiences!