“Keep going back.” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #223 of 340 hotels in Amsterdam
Dundee, United Kingdom
“Keep going back.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

I suppose depending on where you come from will depend on your expectations which is why i have a few problems with some of these negative reviews about the Kooyk Hotel.
Firstly, chaps and chapesses this hotel is a typical listed building in Amsterdam. Limited Space people, thus more floors hence steep stairs, smaller bathrooms etc.
Secondly, this is not an expensive hotel near the centre of town, just diwn from a theatre in fact. What do you expect for your money?
These 2 points having been said my sister and I took my mother here for a significant birthday in may of this year and while yes it was undergoing major refurbishment none of us had a problem.
The room was clean and the beds comfortable, we had our own key so we could come and go as we pleased, the staff both family and hired were helpful, friendly without being obsequious. They all got on well which showed in their professionalism and pride in their Hotel. The food (continental buffet style) was fresh, tasty and frequently replenished. I should mention; as i cannot function in the morning without it, the coffee was hot, just strong enough and if required also replenished. What more could you ask?
To finish i would not take my mother on a surprise holiday to a rundown, filthy hole no matter how cheap it was as i value my continued existence to much. By the way my mother, sister and i enjoyed ourselves so much we are going back there whether the refurbishments are finished or not.
Mhairi Morison.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

263 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Turkish first
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

Hotel kooyk is a basic hotel located in Amsterdam city centre. The staff were great and granted all of our requests. The room was lovely and clean. We found that we were never more than 15mins away from the tourist attraction from our hotel so we were very happy an would definitely return.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Cambridge, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

We booked this hotel for a long weekend stay. Our room was clean but very basic, nothing like the one we were led to believe we were getting on the internet. The toilet down the hall leaked water all over the floor and I had to constantly place paper towels on the floor to stop getting my slippers soaking wet. The toilet was like a broom cupboard as was the shower! The carpets and decor were old and tatty but the overall cleanliness was ok. The staff were rude but I put this down to a lack of correct English translation as I found rather too many Dutch people on the rude side!!!! One example was on the day we were leaving we hung around in the reception a little longer than the guy wanted us to and was told we had to leave due to it not being a waiting room, in the next breath he said if we come back again to come and stay again. Urrrrrrrm no thanks as you were so kind and friendly just now I dont think I will! Breakfast was a constant ask for items to be replenished and it was overall a very average place indeed. I wont stay again

Room Tip: If you want no frills, lack of facilities and no smiles head here.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
kooyk, Owner at Kooyk Hotel, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
dear madam,
thank you for your review.
I would like to point out that you did book a budget room, with shared facilites including breakfast.
Lets get a few points straight.
Your room was perfectly clean supplied with clean linnen and towels.
You did not book a superior room or one of our new ensuite rooms ground floor.
The room has shared facities your price range was 27,50-32,50 pp
We have a listed builiding, the shower is small, I do admit, but it has to do with it being a listed building we are not allowed to change the format of the shower room.
You had a very good price202,58 euro for four persons which is approx 25, euro per person including breakfast and city tax no hidden extras.
The toilet.
I am sure you noticed the notice outside the toilet, please come down to the reception if there is a problem with the toilet. This problem is caused by peple not being able to use a toilet properly and waiting for the toilet to flush, impatience which will of course cause flooding, which in your case did. I spend so much time cleaning up after people who do not know how to use a toilet properly.I apolgise for any inconvience caused and as i AM a much travelled person I would go to the hotel reception to ask for the toilet to be cleaned.
You did not.
Breakfast, it is a full buffet, with all foods provided as much as you wished.
I was told you came late for breakast and of course at 9 45 the staff did their best to help you.
I take exception to the fact you said our staff was rude, we are all very helpful and try to facilitate as much as possible.
i WILL speak to budget places.com as we have specifically sold this room as a budget room how dissapointing.
You got a bargin.
The room was painted may I add by a very nice english gentleman who has taken execption to your comment tatty....
Very insuliting indeed.
Thank you again.
kind regards
MF Moonen.

Been to Kooyk Hotel? Share your experiences!