“Great value and lovely staff” 5 of 5 stars

Kooyk Hotel
1.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Leidsekade 82, 1017 PM Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #225 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Louth, England, United Kingdom
“Great value and lovely staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

This is our third time with the family at their hotel the refurbishments meant on suite shower this year. Such a lovely big room that was able to accommodate the five of us. Breakfast was super and set us up for the day. .The rooms were clean and anything we needed we only had to ask. The value was excellent which meant we could afford an extra night. A big thank you to the Moonen family they are lovely and made our family so welcome and looked after us, we had only just lost our Dad and this trip was made easier by their friendliness. we will all be back soon.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
dear madam,
thank you again for a great review. I am so glad you enjoyed this new family room.
I hope to see you all back again , and we are very very sorry for your loss,
with kind regards
MARY Moonen
Owner

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013 via mobile

First time We had ever stayed in a 1 star hotel, and it was certainly no where near as bad as expected. Rooms were clean and shared bathroom was spotless. You get what you pay for and we were more than happy with the value for money and central location. Caution on steep stairs, but it adds to the quirkiness of the hotel!

• Stayed June 2013
thank you for your review.
I am glad youre stay was of satisfaction.
Please note, my property from july 2013 will become two star, and we will have a number of ensuite rooms to offer.
I do hope to see you back again.
kind regards
MF Moonen
London-Havana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

The hotel was covered with scaffolding so we could not even find it.
The room was meant to be a 'superior room with private bathroom', and it is seen in the photos provided by the hotel just like that.
However, arriving there showed a very different reality: it was a dismal room, with scaffolding views and a toilet and shower two doors down the corridor!
It was explained that it was for private use, they obviously meant it was of exclusive use (although anyone could have accessed and used the toilet and shower as it was not lockable from the outside) but it could hardly be called 'private' when you have to get dressed in the middle of the night to go to the toilet or take your clothes to the shower to get dressed there (as if you were in a gym) to not catch a cold or indiscreet looks, on the way to the room!!
When we saw the workmen, the room and this separate but supposedly exclusive toilet/shower we wanted to leave but the booking was non-refundable.
To top it all, we were woken up at 7.45am the next morning by loud noises and shouts from the constructors, a heavy duty drill seemed to be use just by my head.
Although things seemed to be clean enough, we saw the clean, ironed and folded sheets on the corridor floor when rooms were being done up the next morning.

The booking was made through 'easytobook'. When I placed the booking it stated it was £54, the confirmation said €67.50 but easytobook's paperwork to the hotel, which I had to sign on arrival, stated €71 and my bank account has been charged £61.69. All in all, I would recommend people stay away from this hotel, even without the scaffolding, it is a rip off!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
dear sir madam,
thank you for your review.
I think you may need to re read the room discription that you booked,
Clearly stating, a room newly renovated, with a private bathroom beside the room NOT INSIDE AS STATED ON THE PAPERWORK.
I fail to see your point,? newly renovated, with perfectly warm shower built in modern wc and v clean . Your breakfast and free wifi included.
Please note, you never mentioned your displeasure during this stay.
As for easy to book, you could have called their call centre and they could have explained to you more about the pricing, they are very good at helping people.
The wonderful scaffolding, I explained to all my guests this is a monumental building in the centre of amsterdam, being renovated by the goverment and the Company that owns this building. We also have to have the hotel painted, and on my facebook page there is a total blog on this.

Thank god we are finished with this work per 18 june.
Then we can move on to our new concept of rooms with private facilties inside and also with the option outside... a budget for all.

we regret your stay was not what you had expected.
You never came to see me .For your next trip , tip please contact the manger during your stay.. it would be helpful.

with kind regards
MF Moonen
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013 via mobile

Me & my partner just came back today after spending 3nights here it costs €15 in taxi from central station or €2.80 on tram, we arrived at hotel at 10am but was not due to check in til 2pm but we was kindly allowed to leave our bags free of charge at reception, we was first given a room next to shower wich smelt abut damp but there is work being done but after I Spoke to reception the lady came back and gave us a room that was fantastic we had great view of cannel was clean and fresh and 4what we paid that was great 2people £168 3nights I think including city tax, we had breakfast they do toast boiled eggs meats cheese jams ect so choice for every one, there's a sink tv in bedrooms and there toilet I. The corridor along with drinks machine. I would like to say thank you to the people at hotel they was great, & even thinking to return in summer xx

• Stayed May 2013
Amsterdam
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

stairs very steep, narrow, and small. bed covers and towels had cig. holes and stain. mini restroom and shower. electric wires exposed on headboard lamp. Room windows very unsecured. Not safe overall.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

kooyk, Owner at Kooyk Hotel, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
thank you for your review.
I read your review and need to ask:
why if your bed was not to your satisfaction would you not come and see any of my staff?
there is 24 hours a day someone here on the reception.
The wires you spoke about ?? I cannot seem to find them, there is a flex which connects to the lamp in the power point, this is in perfect order.
I certainly as the owner of this property would go to the reception and get someone to look as points if it was not to your satisfaction.
I can assure the general public that there are no cigarette burns in my duvets as I do not allow smoking in this building... and believe me there is a hefty fine imposed on people who do smoke.!!!
I regret your experience was not good, but we are re opening our hotel fully from july 2013.
all our ground floor rooms are ensuite and totally renovated.
kind regards
M F Moonen

Been to Kooyk Hotel? Share your experiences!