“Great location, cozy hotel, friendly staff” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
5% discount per room
Ranked #42 of 350 Hotels in Amsterdam
St. Petersburg, Russia
“Great location, cozy hotel, friendly staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2012

If you're coming to Amsterdam from Schiphol airport, the location of La Boheme is absolutely perfect. The bus coming from the airport stops at the next corner, so even if you have big luggage, it's not a problem to take it like 50m to the hotel door (though, it's true that the staircase is steep and very narrow in the hotel, but that wasn't any problem for us young travelers :) Museumplein is just a 10-minute walk from there. Oh well, actually any touristic spot that was on my "must-see" list was in walking distance. Only took the tram once when it was raining really heavy.

The hotel is cozy and clean. I heard from my friends who previously traveled to Amsterdam that budget hotels aren't too good there. But La Boheme exceeded my expectations. The room was big enough and it had all the essential. What I liked was kind of an "anteroom" - when you open the door with the key, you aren't immediately in the room itself. There's some space where you can leave coats, shoes, umbrellas (it was great to have that in humid January weather!) Then there's a second door that takes you to the room. I think it was also helpful to prevent any noise to be heard from the stairs.

Kudos to the friendly hotel staff (including Mimi the cat!) When we arrived, we had a small problem with the shower. Even though it was Christmas eve, the hotel manager did everything she could to fix that asap.

What else did I not cover yet... Oh yeah, breakfast was nice. So, to sum it up - a good place to stay when you travel in Amsterdam. This 2-star hotel was way better than some 3-star ones I stayed in some other European cities.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
Birmingham, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2012

I stayed here by a happy accident - the accommodation where I was meant to be staying had a problem, which left me scouring Trip Advisor's reviews section in a blind panic trying to find somewhere to stay.

And it really WAS a happy accident. La Bohème is a clean, friendly and professionally-run hotel. Everybody I spoke to on reception was great - Jacky even indulged me while I told her the saga of how I'd bought a money bank for my nephew only to break it when it fell off my knee on the tram back to the hotel! (I bought a replacement.)

The breakfasts were superb (although I think I needed the stairs to work off the damage done by warm, fluffy croissants first thing in the morning.) Talking of warm and fluffy, I should also mention Mimi. Mimi, I'm sure, owns the hotel - everybody else is merely her staff. She's a very affectionate tabby cat and I must confess was the unique selling point that convinced me to stay here.

No problems with the room either (room 12, third floor, fifty stairs.) The wardrobe built-in between the front door and the bedroom door, opposite the bathroom, is an ingenious way of maximising a small space. Somebody else mentioned grey towels - I'm pleased to report I had no such problem.

I've stayed in everything from the most basic holes right up to five-star hotels over the years, many of them in Amsterdam, and I have to say La Bohème has that indefinable "something" (probably a never-too-much-trouble attitude from the staff) which ensures that I'll stay here again.

Room Tip: The higher the room number, the higher the room. Try to stay at the back of the hotel if you're...
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2012

This hotel should be rated at least 3 Stars, the 2 stars doesn't do this lovely hotel justice! After a cancelled flight and delays getting to Amsterdam, we couldn't have been been more happier with the accommodation. VERY comfortable beds!! To the point that they're too comfy and you don't want to get up! Lovely, bright, clean and comfortable rooms. Service impeccable. We stayed in the three bed room which had an ensuite which I know is quite rare in hotels in Amsterdam under 4 stars. Lovely breakfast and happy atmosphere in the hotel, which made our long weekend all that more enjoyable! I've recommended to all my family and friends this hotel as it is just perfect. Brilliant location, it is in Leidesplein but just far away from the noise to get a decent sleep, and also crucially for us, very close to the Museum quarter, with a pretty walk into The Dam. You can buy museum tickets in the hotel so you don't have to queue at the museums which is a bonus, and the breakfast is served at decent times in the morning (from 8.15 to 11!, possibly because the beds are so comfy!) Thank you very much Hotel La Boheme and we will be back! :)

Katherine, Katie and Jessie from Oxford, UK

Room Tip: we stayed in a 3 bed room which came with an ensuite, which I know is rare in Amsterdam hotels and h...
Moscow, Russia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2012

During our 10 days stay in La Boheme we were really amazed by friendliness of all personnel, all guys with no exception were so welcoming and willing to help on any question we had. It was a great support during our Amsterdam quest.
We were staying in room 12 on 3d floor and although the room is not a big one it had everything you can need, including quite good wardrobe in small hall, comfortabe beds with good blankets. The stairs are really special, as mentioned in other reviews here, but we considered our climbing as good excersicing to keep us in shape after breakfests La Boheme served us.
Breakfests included in price deserve to be mentioned here - freshly made croissants, selection of ham and cheeses, fruits, great coffee and excellent service really made our mornings.
I didn't rate excellent only for one reason - our cleaning lady (we think it was actually a man) ignored our floors until we asked reception to help us (as I am allergic to dust), and floors were washed finally. I guess it wouldn't be an issue for those who stay for couple of days, for others I recommend to ask reception guys to make sure cleaning is done completely. And one more little "but" is very grey towels provided, they look clean, but very old.
Overall, great location and caring helpful staff makes La Boheme worth every penny paid, I definetely recommend it.

Tel Aviv, Israel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2012

great service, unbelivble location. right on Leidseplein, walking distanse to all major atractions in amsterdam!

The Woodlands, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2012

This hotel is right near Leidseplein which means tons of restaurant and bar options. There are also several coffeeshops not too far away. The hotel itself is clean, and the service is top notch. You can buy museum tickets and public transportation tickets from the front desk and save yourself some time. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone looking for something cheap but safe and comfortable.

Renton, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2012

La Boheme was a great place to stay for a 2 star, and the rating reflects that. The staff were awesome, so very helpful. The room was tidy and compact, no frills, but I wasn't expecting any.
I was pleasantly surprised that they did consider some key items - a safe in the room, RFID key fob for after hours access, a simple TV for down time, and WiFi access which is essential (ok I knew the WiFi would be there so it wasn't a surprise, just wanted to point it out).
Also, I can't say enough about how great the location was. Leidseplein is a great place to stay in Amsterdam in my opinion. The neighborhood is somewhat a party district, but it's also close to the trams, the museums, and good shopping in the nine streets area.
My only complaint that I hope they will address is that the mattress pad (between the mattress and the sheet) looked like it had not been washed in some time, if ever. Obviously the sheets were very clean and nice, just the state of the pad was a little disappointing. Also, the mattress was a little saggy, but I slept just fine.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo

Been to Hotel La Boheme? Share your experiences!