“Good place, not the best. ” 3 of 5 stars

You added The Shelter City to your Saves list
The Shelter City
Barndesteeg 21, 1012 BV Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Red Light District)   |
Ranked #73 of 174 Specialty lodging in Amsterdam
“Good place, not the best. ”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2014

I stayed there for 3 days, staff is friendly and the place is clean, location wise very convenient. Though my headphones were stolen, just be careful of your stuff. Management can not handle theft situations.

Stayed April 2014, traveled solo

174 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014 via mobile

I stayed in a four person suite which has a lock on it (the 12 and 20 person rooms are just doors anyone can open and close). My room door was locked and one day after coming back, my phone charger was stolen by housekeeping or someone somehow broke into my room. My other roommates didn't have my charger (they had different phones plus they showed me their bags to verify this). I told the front desk, and all they said was that they would ask the cleaners and to come back the next day to see if anyone would give it back. Well guess what! No one will give it back when they stole it! Of course, it never showed up and the cleaners claimed they didn't have it. When I requested they look back at the security tapes to see of anyone broke into our room, they said they would, except when I ask the next day, they said they hadn't. On top of that, they didn't even offer to replace my charger (they had like 20 themselves) or give me some money to buy another one (even though I strongly hinted at it). I bought a new one and it frickin cost me 38 euros. So unprofessional. Plus everyone who works here is like 23.

• Stayed April 2014
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014

If you can stomach the god stuff (and there is a lot of god stuff), you will LOVE this hostel.
In the middle of the Red Light District, 5 mins from the train station on foot, location is amazing.
The hostel has a deal with a local bike rental company which is by far the cheapest option for renting a bike and getting around the city (bring your own helmet as the Dutch don't usually wear them).
Clean, comfy bed, helpful staff and a good breakfast. The Wi-Fi works well and there is a 24hr doorman so you are very safe. Occasionally the hot water on the top floor runs dry and they may not be able to handle your dietary requirements.

Room Tip: If you book the 4 bed room be aware it is on the top floor and there is no elevator.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

Budget hostel, located at the red light district. Staff speak English, and very friendly. I stayed in the room with 4 beds, sufficient space, but only 1 plug available. Anywhere, the reception do offer free charging service. Locker available but remember to bring your own lock. Importantly, they serve hot breakfast. Love it so much.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Milan, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

We booked a 8-beds room, we were in 6. It was clean and quite small, but in 6 was perfect.
Even if it's located in the red lights district, it it's a peaceful place. There's a pub close by, a coffee shop and many more..
Yeah the bathroom is one, and must be shared with the other guests, but it's a hostel, it's not a hotel, so if you pick a hostel for your travels, think about it! Bring your slipper and avoid the toilet in the morning (if you can)! However there's a sink in the bedroom.
Some of my friends told me that the breakfast was very good, I missed it all the times as we always came back at hostel in the morning lights (wasted)!
All of the hostel's crew was kind and friendly with everyone, I still don't know how this guys can bear some people and situations,, they must saints! LoL

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Agia Pelagia, Greece
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2014

Not bad at all. safe enough and pretty clean. Very friendly atmosphere & staff. Location is simply one of the best. Overall one the best hostels. Tip for the city: don't let anyone tell you that something is far away. All places worth visiting are within walkable distance. Enjoy this unique city!

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Ashburn, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

I stayed here two nights when I was in college with my flatmate from london and my boyfriend. I liked that they were single sex areas but then we requested a wake up call so we could leave in time for our flight and it was a guy who woke us. I had to book everything for our trip and I picked this place for the price and feeling of relative safety in a christian hostel. I'd say if you need to save money this is a good choice, we were able to walk everywhere we wanted to go and even walked to the airport. I wouldn't recommend this for families or couples or really anyone over young adult age. If you have never stayed in a hostel before maybe you don't want to start in a foreign country but it was what I expected and worth the bargain at the time

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Been to The Shelter City? Share your experiences!