“Central of the Amsterdam” 4 of 5 stars

The Shelter City
Barndesteeg 21, 1012 BV Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Red Light District)   |
Ranked #66 of 176 Specialty Lodging in Amsterdam
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Central of the Amsterdam”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

Budget hostel, located at the red light district. Staff speak English, and very friendly. I stayed in the room with 4 beds, sufficient space, but only 1 plug available. Anywhere, the reception do offer free charging service. Locker available but remember to bring your own lock. Importantly, they serve hot breakfast. Love it so much.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Milan, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

We booked a 8-beds room, we were in 6. It was clean and quite small, but in 6 was perfect.
Even if it's located in the red lights district, it it's a peaceful place. There's a pub close by, a coffee shop and many more..
Yeah the bathroom is one, and must be shared with the other guests, but it's a hostel, it's not a hotel, so if you pick a hostel for your travels, think about it! Bring your slipper and avoid the toilet in the morning (if you can)! However there's a sink in the bedroom.
Some of my friends told me that the breakfast was very good, I missed it all the times as we always came back at hostel in the morning lights (wasted)!
All of the hostel's crew was kind and friendly with everyone, I still don't know how this guys can bear some people and situations,, they must saints! LoL

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Agia Pelagia, Greece
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2014

Not bad at all. safe enough and pretty clean. Very friendly atmosphere & staff. Location is simply one of the best. Overall one the best hostels. Tip for the city: don't let anyone tell you that something is far away. All places worth visiting are within walkable distance. Enjoy this unique city!

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Ashburn, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

I stayed here two nights when I was in college with my flatmate from london and my boyfriend. I liked that they were single sex areas but then we requested a wake up call so we could leave in time for our flight and it was a guy who woke us. I had to book everything for our trip and I picked this place for the price and feeling of relative safety in a christian hostel. I'd say if you need to save money this is a good choice, we were able to walk everywhere we wanted to go and even walked to the airport. I wouldn't recommend this for families or couples or really anyone over young adult age. If you have never stayed in a hostel before maybe you don't want to start in a foreign country but it was what I expected and worth the bargain at the time

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Colombo, Sri Lanka
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

i was there with few of my friends for 3 nights.we took the en suite with 4 beds with private bath room.nice clean accommodation,up to the standard of good youth hostel.Room was bit tight for us but great place for those travel with low budget or look for different type of accommodation than star category hotels for a change.Honestly good place for those who looks for safe/clean accommodation which located in a place easy access to many tourist attractions for an amassing price.just 10-15 minutes walking distance to central station/city center/boat rides starting points/etc.just 1 minute from famous red light street canals in Amsterdam. we felt safe as there is good security check to verify identity of those who enter specially in the night. staff are very friendly(specially reception),just felt like knowing them before.They are rich with information about the city.Public area inside is a good place to chat with many travelers and meet new people.Good breakfast in the morning for the kind of price we paid.they also arrange many social activities for residence guest.Also available some discount coupons for tourist attractions from there.Nice concept of accommodation to travel with friends out of regular star category accommodations while paying a reasonable price for clean and safe accommodation.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

The staff were very welcoming and helpful. The big rooms were VERY warm at night, our beds were right near the heater so whilst the first night was nice and toasty, the other nights were just stifling. By this I mean it was hot without a sheet in January. However we really liked the space and the atmosphere of the hostel; the communal breakfast area was always buzzing, free breakfast always a plus. Personally, lovely to stay in a Christian hostel in the middle of Amsterdam. Would stay here again.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Hamilton, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for a night on New Year's Day. I'd booked a bed in a 4 bed dorm, which I thought was their smallest, but ended up in a 2 bed room, which was find by me! The staff were really friendly and welcoming. The location is good. 10-15 minute walk from the train station. In the red light district, but you can avoid this. My room was on the top floor, which was a big of a hike up some narrow windy stairs! The room itself was good. Nice and warm, enough plugs. They provide a free secure charging service too. Beds were comfy. Rooms were quite noisy - lots of doors banging and easy to hear people talking. Bathrooms were clean but the showers were cold. Wifi didn't quite reach to the top floor. They offer hot breakfast, which is unusual for a hostel. I would stay there again.

Stayed January 2014, traveled solo

Been to The Shelter City? Share your experiences!