“Alright for college age” 3 of 5 stars

The Shelter City
Barndesteeg 21, 1012 BV Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Red Light District)   |
Ranked #68 of 175 Specialty Lodging in Amsterdam
Ashburn, Virginia
“Alright for college age”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

I stayed here two nights when I was in college with my flatmate from london and my boyfriend. I liked that they were single sex areas but then we requested a wake up call so we could leave in time for our flight and it was a guy who woke us. I had to book everything for our trip and I picked this place for the price and feeling of relative safety in a christian hostel. I'd say if you need to save money this is a good choice, we were able to walk everywhere we wanted to go and even walked to the airport. I wouldn't recommend this for families or couples or really anyone over young adult age. If you have never stayed in a hostel before maybe you don't want to start in a foreign country but it was what I expected and worth the bargain at the time

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Colombo, Sri Lanka
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

i was there with few of my friends for 3 nights.we took the en suite with 4 beds with private bath room.nice clean accommodation,up to the standard of good youth hostel.Room was bit tight for us but great place for those travel with low budget or look for different type of accommodation than star category hotels for a change.Honestly good place for those who looks for safe/clean accommodation which located in a place easy access to many tourist attractions for an amassing price.just 10-15 minutes walking distance to central station/city center/boat rides starting points/etc.just 1 minute from famous red light street canals in Amsterdam. we felt safe as there is good security check to verify identity of those who enter specially in the night. staff are very friendly(specially reception),just felt like knowing them before.They are rich with information about the city.Public area inside is a good place to chat with many travelers and meet new people.Good breakfast in the morning for the kind of price we paid.they also arrange many social activities for residence guest.Also available some discount coupons for tourist attractions from there.Nice concept of accommodation to travel with friends out of regular star category accommodations while paying a reasonable price for clean and safe accommodation.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

The staff were very welcoming and helpful. The big rooms were VERY warm at night, our beds were right near the heater so whilst the first night was nice and toasty, the other nights were just stifling. By this I mean it was hot without a sheet in January. However we really liked the space and the atmosphere of the hostel; the communal breakfast area was always buzzing, free breakfast always a plus. Personally, lovely to stay in a Christian hostel in the middle of Amsterdam. Would stay here again.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Hamilton, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for a night on New Year's Day. I'd booked a bed in a 4 bed dorm, which I thought was their smallest, but ended up in a 2 bed room, which was find by me! The staff were really friendly and welcoming. The location is good. 10-15 minute walk from the train station. In the red light district, but you can avoid this. My room was on the top floor, which was a big of a hike up some narrow windy stairs! The room itself was good. Nice and warm, enough plugs. They provide a free secure charging service too. Beds were comfy. Rooms were quite noisy - lots of doors banging and easy to hear people talking. Bathrooms were clean but the showers were cold. Wifi didn't quite reach to the top floor. They offer hot breakfast, which is unusual for a hostel. I would stay there again.

Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

We very much enjoyed our stay at Shelter City. We had a 4 bed room to ourselves which was clean, warm and had plenty of storage (ie. 4 large lockers) and contrary to other reviews, we had 2 power outlets too. Showering and toilet facilities were clean and functional too although there was a bit of an overpowering smell of sewage in the corridors! Breakfast was very good too and the cafe had a lovely warm atmosphere to it. There is also a fridge and microwave that guests can use which was handy.
The hostel is very central although we naively did not realise that it is in the middle of the red light district. It is very safe, however, so this didn't matter one bit.
We thought it was excellent value for money and would definitely come back!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

So I stayed at this hostel in summer of 2010, it was very clean the staff was friendly... enough, awesome location and weird at the same time. The hostel is right at the edge of the red-light district and a square with lots of coffee shops and cafes. if you have a problem with religion you probably shouldn't stay here

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

This is a christian hostel, not a party hostel which they were very clear about. The place was VERY safe, clean and I found it to be pretty roomy (probably 3 times roomier than the other hostel I stayed at in Amsterdam). Computers were always accessible and the internet worked well. The staff was very friendly. I did end up going out and getting high and drunk but I made sure to straighten out before coming back to the hostel so no one gave me any problems. I had to check out at 4AM and they accommodated me. The location was PHENOMENAL. For the price it was unbeatable ,but dont expect to stay here with a bunch of friends and go out to get wasted at night - I would imagine the staff would intervene. They are clear about what they are at booking though.

Room Tip: I can vouch for the dorm rooms - they were much roomier than other hostel in Amsterdam I stayed in a...