“AVOID AVOID AVOID” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Quentin Arrive Hotel

Save Saved
You added Quentin Arrive Hotel to your Saves list
Quentin Arrive Hotel
1.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Haarlemmerstraat 65, Amsterdam 1013 EL, The Netherlands   |
Special Deal
Free breakfast with your stay
Ranked #237 of 343 hotels in Amsterdam
New York City, New York
“AVOID AVOID AVOID”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

The only decent quality about this "hotel" is the location, which is very close to Central Station and convenient to international and local transportation. Free Wi-Fi upgraded my review from 0 to 1 Star. The Staff were very unresponsive to rude. Every time I came and left the hotel, the front desk attendant (the infamous Australian) would interrogate me on my room number as if I did not belong in the hotel. I felt her inquires were racially motivated. During both check in and check out, I was not made to feel welcome. Staff unceremoniously asked my room number and gave me my keys or receipt. The hotel is a walk-up, but the steps are a treacherous, steep and winding hazard. I was placed on the fourth floor in a shoe box of a room with out air conditioning or even a fan on the hottest day in Amsterdam all year, according to locals. The walls and sheets were in less than perfect condition. Visible bug smears were present all over the beige walls. A huge window was available in the room, which opened to a screenless opening to Harlemerstraat. I either roasted to death in the room or allowed bugs and mosquitoes to enter at night. The shared bathrooms are less than sanitary and reek of mold. If you need to spend a few extra euro to stay somewhere a little nicer, I strongly suggest you do so..

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

369 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Bury St. Edmunds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

Stayed here last year on a trip with some friends, it was a last minute booking so we went with this. Room was clean and spacious and friendly staff. We actually booked a room without a bathroom, but due to a booking issue they upgraded us to an en-suite at no extra charge as it was their fault. Can't complain. Room cleaned every day and a comfortable night sleep, great location too. Nicely done!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
New York, NY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

Bailed out of this place after one night, despite having booked and paid in advance for four. My single room with a narrow twin bed was only the width of the window -- stretching both my arms let me easily touch both walls. But I couldn't open the floor-to-ceiling window during a heat wave without losing privacy and maybe risking falling out! Also, the room had an odor -- a human smell? A bad disinfectant? I couldn't tell. Don't mind shared toilet and shower, but I do mind if they are not pleasant or properly cleaned -- found a bandage obviously several days old on a shelf in the shower. To top it off, had a dispute with the staff over payment, which they blamed on my booking agent of many years [I still use one, sometimes]. On the upside, the fire alarm went off only once during the night I stayed. Also on the upside -- this hotel has a great location, in a residential area yet still near the central train station and tourist spots. The hotel is proving the bad part of my first trip to Amsterdam -- the city itself is a terrific place to visit.

Room Tip: Choose a lower floor room. There's no elevator. Judging from the fire escape diagram, double and...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Guildford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

Myself and my partner were slightly worried about the reviews after we had booked this hotel.
Anyway we caught the train from Schiphol Airport, straight to Centraal Station.

It says the hotel is a 15 minute walk from Centraal Station, it's no where near that more like 5 minutes at a slow pace! We arrived early and were met by one of the staff, who at first was dealing with another guest who was a tad difficult but after seeing we were just there to sleep and knew what we had booked, the lady was friendly. She informed housekeeping to clean our room so we could get in A.S.A.P. within an hour we had gone in to our room.

Now I must say people moaning about no lifts and very narrow/steep stairs need to read exactly what buildings in Amsterdam are like they are very tall and thin it's been that way long before you and I had set foot there!

The Australian lady who was then on reception had the same difficult customer and was a tad stressed, when I went to ask if I could borrow a hairdryer. She apologised for huffing which is fine we all have those days.

It's ideally located enough of a distance away from the red light district but close enough. The night porter is a friendly guy and always says hello.

We never waited more than 5 mins for the shower, we didn't watch the tv as were out day and most of the night exploring this city. Do not let the bad reviews put you off!

Room Tip: Ask for the second floor!!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Madrid
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

The rooms are very small and not comfortable at all. There´s no elevator and the stairs are extremely risky and carry the baggage to the 4th floor without any problem is almost an Olympic effort. Shared bathrooms are simple and ok but not enough for all hotel guests needs. The location it’s quite good but for that price make a favor to yourself and look for other places.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Amsterdam
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

Very small, noisy, cheap. It's clean enough, very close to the center. Steep Stairs, no safe. It's ok for people, who want to spent their money rather in coffeeshops or window shopping than for the hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Been to Quentin Arrive Hotel? Share your experiences!