“Did I like staying here? No. Was it passable and cheaper than most? Yes.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Asterisk

You added Hotel Asterisk to your Saves list
Hotel Asterisk
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Den Texstraat 16, 1017 ZA Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #163 of 357 Hotels in Amsterdam
Frankfurt, Germany
“Did I like staying here? No. Was it passable and cheaper than most? Yes.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2010

I have to admit that I had a bad first impression of Hotel Asterisk. I arrived after the regular day staff were gone, and the night receptionist was a little creepy... as a single woman traveling alone, it's not so pleasant to arrive at 11 p.m. and have the hotel staff leering and being creepily ingratiating with you.

The day staff were friendly and helpful -- when I complained about a very strong musty smell in the room, they were polite and while I was out during the day did something that seemed to help a little.

I was also not impressed with the fact that they demanded full payment for all nights of my planned stay up front, especially since they request cash payment and have a 4% credit card surcharge. Call me cynical, but this seemed a little shady and possibly not legal, so I just refused. I didn't have enough cash with me, anyway. He insisted that "everyone does it" and "well, it's sort of the rule here," but I said no, and it turned out not to be a problem -- he gave me a key anyway and I paid cash when I checked out.

The hotel is scattered over a few buildings on the block. My room, a single, was in house #25. I really have no idea what rooms were like in the other buildings.

The room smelled musty and old, and had old shag carpeting that was worn and dirty. Even by European standards, it was very small -- no place but a little chair to put luggage (no room even on the floor), and only a teeny triangle of surface to put anything else on. The towels were of varied colors and full of holes... but then again, when I arrived, there was a person at the front desk saying her room had no towels, so perhaps I shouldn't complain.

My room was with a shared toilet and bath, which I had expected. Unfortunately, they were not on the same floor as my room, so this would be a major problem for anyone with mobility issues, particularly given the steep, shallow steps of Amsterdam staircases. It also proved to be annoying when I found myself in need of a tissue, and had to go downstairs just to get some toilet paper to blow my nose.

With respect to sharing the toilet and shower, I worried at first that there might be issues, since the toilet and shower were together, but I never had to wait nor even saw any other guests there, so that was fine.

There were definitely noise issues with the other people staying on the same floor, but there are only four rooms, so I guess unless you're unlucky and get some really noisy people, it's only a minor annoyance. I faced the street, but it's a quiet block. I didn't really like, however, that the windows could only be closed or fully open -- both for noise and security reasons.

Also -- I don't know if I was on a different tram than other reviewers, but their directions say to go opposite the direction of traffic around the traffic circle where the tram stop is, and where the tram stopped for me, that was wrong... I wandered around the intersection with all my luggage for several minutes before noticing a sign for some of the hotels (including Asterisk and Kap, which is across the street).

That all sounds very negative, I suppose, but based on my searches, it was cheaper than other things with similar locations. Speaking of which, the location is really quite convenient -- close to the tram, but aside from going to and from the station, I always walked, and it was a pleasant and not-too-long walk from everywhere I went. There were cafes and bars close to the hotel, too.

Breakfast was just okay. Low-quality breads, cereal, some ham and cheese, butter and preserves, and cereals -- pretty typical, I guess. There were sometimes boiled eggs as well.

There were several things I didn't like about Hotel Asterisk, but I was looking for something well located and cheap, and I got it. For all it's drawbacks, it was passable, especially once I got over the first night. After the room smelled better and I was settled in, I was comfortable, and happy not to be spending much more money just to be a few blocks closer to the center.

Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank jalyh

Redditch
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2010

Booked this hotel fairly last minute, wanted something fairly central but within out budget. we were very pleased.
In a quiet little road in walking distance to all the sights and by some nice little bars it was just right for what we needed. The rooms are pretty small but it was clean and it had a lovely breakfast room. The staff are very very helpful both with their e-mail responses and while we were there.
There is a kooky little luggage lift and clocks all over the hotel with various world times...
Would recommend as a hotel close enough to the centre but not in all the hustle.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Karratha
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2010

We stayed here for 4 nigjts on our first trip to Amsterdam. Directions given, by tram, from Central Station were spot on. The service by staff at reception was very freindly and helpful. Location was excellent, being walking distance from several museums and other attractions. Tram stops, which made seeing amserdam a breeze, were only 2 min walk and provide several routes around the city, The room was small and basic but very clean and tidy, sink provided but shared bathroom which was not a problem. Breakfast was included and while different to what I would normally think of as breakfast was tasty and plenty of it. I would have no hesitation in recommending this Hotel to others as if we were to return to Amsterdam we would more than likely stay there again.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Brussels, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2010

This is a nice hotel located just outside the city center, in a nice, quiet, residential area. However, it is still within walking distance to all the attractions and the nightlife. The service is very good, the people are very friendly and will try to help you out in whatever you need. The rooms, albeit small, were clean and had basic amenities, including a small TV with good selection of channels. The rooms were cleaned daily. The breakfast was OK. The only bad detail is as other traveler commented, the stairs in the adjacent building are really steep, so it can be dangerous if you are not extra careful. Also be careful, the WIFI is NOT free as it seems on its webpage. You have to buy a 5 euros card per hour to be able to use it. The room price was somewhat expensive, but still reasonable for Amsterdam and the location. In conclusion, is a cheap, no-frills, very well located hotel.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
Dundee, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2010

This hotel has a great location, just outside the city centre in a nice quiet area. It is however very easy to walk to most parts of the city from this point and there are tram stops very close by. The room was very small, and basic but comfortable and I got good sleep whilst staying there. The main problem was that I was on the third floor of a house ajoining the main hotel and had to climb three very steep flights of stairs with my luggage unaided and it was frankly dangerous. The breakfast was fine but very basic with on hot food on offer. There is internet access at reception but it cost 50c for 10 minutes. Also had to pay to 'rent' the safe in my room which I didn't.

If you are looking for a no frills, cheapish option in a good location and don't mind climbing a lot of stairs this is the place for you.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
Fredrikstad, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2010

Decided to book room at this hotel after reading many of the reviews on tripadvisor.com.

The hotel have a good location close to the museum district and a short walk (approx. 15 min) from Kalverstraat (one of the main streets for shopping in Amsterdam).

The service we received from the hotel staff was very good. Very attentive, helpful and polite.

The breakfast was OK.

We didn´t get rooms in the main building. That was not a problem for our group, but beware that there aren´t any elevator in the other building.

• Stayed September 2009
1 Thank Falkvik
bologna
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2010

very welcoming, pleasant and helpful staff. The room is clean, nice and quiet. . my room was much more than I expected -It's basic but comfortable enough. Ideal if you looking for a place that's away from the traffic and all city noise. Good location residential area, 10 minutes walk from the city centre.

• Stayed January 2010