“Only thing missing was boiled eggs” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel Asterisk
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Den Texstraat 16, 1017 ZA Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #186 of 351 Hotels in Amsterdam
Viernheim, Germany
“Only thing missing was boiled eggs”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2008

Sure, the room is small and the stairs are steep. Unless you are staying in a higher-end hotel, this is always the case in Amsterdam. The room was very clean. The shared bath was very clean and almost always empty. The view from room 38 was the backyards of residences and the Heineken offices. The breakfast was very filling, but missing eggs only. We love boiled eggs. There is a working lift. There are mints at the business-y/friendly front desk. There is a secured luggage locker. The hotel is about a 5-10 min walk to the Rejksmuseum and a 3 min walk to three trams that will take you directly to Centraal Station. Nothing to complain about except no eggs.

• Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Turkish first
Milwaukee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2008

This is a 2 star hotel - so that's what you should expect - but the location was perfect, the staff was extremely helpful and I certainly felt that I got my money's worth. Yes - rooms are small and the building is quite old - but you're in Amsterdam. There is a lift in the building I was in, which is good since the stairs are almost treacherous. The worst part was the other guests coming in at all hours of the night from the "coffeeshops." I would definitely stay here again if I could only afford a 2 star hotel.

• Liked — location and staff
  • Disliked — noise of other guests
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
Petah Tiqwa, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2008

Me and My girlfriend stayed in Hotel Asterisk for 4 nights. I still can't believe it was available and only about 110 euros per night for both of us.
The staff was fabulous, the room was neat everyday and breakfast was good.

Asterisk is located near Museumsplein, 5 minutes walk to rijksmuseum. it is also not far from leidsplein (We walked there).

We recommend a tour to Heineken Museum across the street, and the pancake house infront of the hotel.

Asterisk is a good bargain. we would recommend it to anyone.

• Liked — Clean, Cheap, Friendly !
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
Kiev, Ukraine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2008

We have stayed in Hotel Asterisk for six days during Christmas. It was absolutely great experience for us. It was partly business|private trip and the hotel suited both means the best.

Fist of all, we admire the friendly attitude of the staff. Always smiling and very helpful. Rooms are clean and tidy. Breakfast good enough. Absolutely nice, authentic Dutch building with the huge and narrow stairs (if you are traveling with bags - you can use an elevator) and great cosy atmosphere. Close to city center.

The only minus is a little bit spartan conditions of living: just only essential things, nothing extra. But for two stared hotel it is extra already!

So if you travel to Amsterdam and wanna make a smart choice, we highly recommend hotel Asterisk.

• Liked — Location, staff
  • Disliked — Spartan rooms
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled on business
Thessaloniki, Greece
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2008

It is a nice hotel, a little old from deco and with a steeeeep stair, clean, very friendly and quiet that it will suit people who can pay only the basics but in its best form. Centrum and basic museums at walking distance (although it was -4C!!).

• Liked — friendly staff, clean, warm
  • Disliked — i have seen better bathrooms, but it was ok and clean
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with friends
Glasgow
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2007

Being one of the cheapest hotels I could find in Amsterdam, (£89 a night) my husband and I were prepared for the worst. However, for a hotel of it's class, we were more than happy with what we got.

The location is a little bit out of the action, but if you want a proper nights sleep and somewhere not full of people smoking then it is ideal. It's also a good way of discovering areas you wouldn't usually see and is close to the museum quarter.

Plus - Reception was friendly and helpful - although they ask you for full payment upfront, you can leave your passport with them and then pay when checking out. The room was good, quite large with a decent sized bathroom and we found the beds very comfortable, The room was always cleaned very well and we got fresh towels every day. The heating served us very well in the very low temperatures.

Minus - no tea or coffee making facilities, breakfast very basic, steep stairs (can't expect much more from Amsterdam) and the vending machine took my money and didn't give me any chocolate!!

• Liked — Room, location
  • Disliked — breakfast
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Winnipeg, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2007

I stayed in Amsterdam for 2 nights during a trip within a trip when I was in London for 2 weeks in October. I did a lot of research and was surprised at how pricey a simple B&B was - but I didn't want to stay somewhere unsafe/sketchy just to pay less money either. Eventually I came across the Asterisk through Trip Advisor and decided that it sounded okay for the price.

Overall I enjoyed the Asterisk - it is a no-frills hotel, and I stayed in the no-frills budget rooms in the annex building located a couple of doors over from the main building. The check-in service was great and prompt, and everyone was really nice and friendly. We went back a few times to ask questions and they were relatively helpful, although we couldn't figure out how to use the trams (legally) and they weren't much help in that department. Be warned that you are expected to pay for your room as soon as you walk in the door!

The rooms aren't particularly huge, nor are they decorated. The budget rooms have a sink in your room which is nice, plus a shared bathroom between 4 rooms - but I never once ran across someone else using the bathroom so that wasn't a problem. I believe there is a breakfast buffet of some sort but it wasn't clearly spelled out as to whether it was free or cost 10 euros so we skipped it.

In terms of complaints, I had a couple. The staircase leading up to the rooms in the annex building really was insane. I thought people were exaggerating about its narrowness, but no - it was almost like climbing a ladder. I had fun with it - but if you're older or have difficulty with stairs this is probably a scary prospect. Also, to get into my room you had to get into it by entering through another door which led to two different room doors (mine and another). All 3 of these doors were INSANELY loud and squeaky - luckily neither of us seemed to come in very late so we didn't get woken up in the middle of the night.

The pros to this place - the location is really nice. It's quiet and peaceful, and right by a few of the attractions including the (fun) Heinekin Museum, The Rijksmuseum, and the Van Gogh Museum. Really though, Amsterdam is an extremely walkable town. If you've never been, I'd recommend the 12 euro shuttle, but once you're a bit more familiar with the town you'll find walking (or shuttling) to Central Station and taking a train is way cheaper and more efficient. Also, you happen to be right near the Pancake Carousel - which I highly recommend. The Poffertjes are the best!

Overall I think if I went back I'd look into other places that maybe offered a few more amenities for the price (although 80 euros a night isn't bad) but I wouldn't mind staying at the Asterisk again.

Stayed October 2007

Been to Hotel Asterisk? Share your experiences!