“Lovely standard hostel!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #93 of 174 Specialty lodging in Amsterdam
London, United Kingdom
“Lovely standard hostel!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

Our friends stayed in this hostel where we spent most of our time (so did everything there apart from actually sleep!)
- Rooms were very standard, a sink in them with bunk beds which were comfy, small balcony in the room overlooking the street shared bathroom and shower but not a bother really they have toilets and showers on each floor.
- Breakfast in the morning is standard cereals, bread, eggs, ham, tea, coffee etc. no fuss from about eight 20 year olds :)
- Really good location, lots of restaurants about at the local albert heijn which is like a tesco haha cheap food. Also right near the infamous barneys cafe's and popeyes cafe, just down there road there is a sweet shop and they make fresh waffles too!

Nice people who own the place, basically you get what your paying for i think its about £100 for 3 nights fine place to be and sleep and as its such an amazing city there wont be much sleeping!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

49 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 6 nights for a holiday. My first pertinence of European Hostels. I feel next time I will get a hotel. Not a bad place clean and comfortable. Breakfast every morning was nice and the staff very friendly. Shared bathrooms on each floor are kept clean nd tidy.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Davis, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

A friend and I stayed here for 2 nights in March 2013.

LOCATION
The location is very good. It's about a 10-minute walk from the Amsterdam Central train station. It's on a street lined with stores, cafes, and restaurants. You can reach far just on foot - to the canals, city center, Dam square, Red Light District, etc. There's much to do just outside the door. However, finding this place can be a bit tricky - the entrance isn't very obvious. It is a single door that leads to a very, very steep staircase, and the office is on the 1st floor above the ground. You'll have to keep your eyes peeled for the sign!

FACILITIES

Lobby
The stairs are steep. Very steep. Be careful going up, or you'll lose your balance! The first staircase, as mentioned before, goes from the street level to the lobby. The following staircases go to the rooms. The lobby looks a bit sketchy - there's old couches, torn posters on the walls, and pets running around - it looks a bit grungy.

Room
We stayed in a double-room, which means just a single twin size bed in a very small room! We had thought that meant there were two beds in a room, so don't be tricked. The room is definitely meant for a single person - the bed takes up about 70% of the floor space! There is a wall cubby where you can put small stuff (small bags, chargers, light clothing), a small sink with a mirror, and a coat hook on the back of the door. There wasn't any good place to put our stuff. There is one outlet by the bed, and one outlet by the sink. In addition, the window didn't close all the way, so we could hear people on the streets. The good thing is that there didn't seem to be any motor vehicles on the street we were on (or very few), so the noise was limited to just outside voices. I'd say this is ideal for a single person, so it's just the fact that there were two to a single room that it felt so cramped.

Bathroom
There were two showers and one toilet on our level. They're both kept quite clean, and of course, quite small. I did enjoy the showers - the very warm water was running strong, so it felt like a back massage when I took a shower. There was a generous supply of fresh towels outside the showers with a big laundry basket, so towels were not a problem.

STAFF
The staff members were a little cold, but they were willing to answer our questions and provide help. We didn't interact with them too much, but I'd say they were alright.

PRICE
Too expensive, for the kind of stay that we had. Not really worth the money - even the two of us splitting a room meant for one hit our wallets pretty hard.

Room Tip: Double room means a single bed! If you are travelling with another person/others, get a dorm room, u...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
detroit
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

This place is ok. Its cheap. Its close to everything. The staff and patrons are friendy. They have smoking and drinking. Coffee and breakfast is nice. Spend the day in the city, when you cant do anymore. Go and sleep. Wake up and do as much as you can. When I arrived in Amsterdam, and got off the train, i met the owner of 'hotel my home'. He asked if we were staying anywhere yet. I said no, and he offered to give us a ride to check it out. It was a free ride. Being on a budget, his place was cheap and everythng was easy. This was a quite few years back. Be prepared for some almost vertical steps. Its an older place. You can tell, gives it character.

Room Tip: email in advance.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

We stayed at Hotel My Home for three days at the beginning of July. The hotel itself was pretty dated and as others have noted, it is extremely basic, which having spent most of our time out in the city, wasn't a huge problem for us.

The rooms themselves were quite small and dated and the walls were quite thin; we were situated next to a bathroom (toilet/sink only) and could hear and SMELL everything, if you know what I mean. That was by far the worst part of the hotel. Common bathroom facilities are fine but this place did not have good ventilation in the toilet areas so we had to go out and buy incense to light in our room and keep the smell out. The shower stalls, on the other hand, I have no complaints about.

The location of the hotel was great; very convenient to the central train station. The staff were really nice and cooked a lovely breakfast in the morning (eggs any way you like) and that was much appreciated.

In the end, the hotel was OK (minus the insane stair cases - not just the photos that have already been posted but look through the kitchen area to the "attic" where we stayed our first night before they moved us to a more humane area) but I would not stay here again. The dated rooms and smell from the bathrooms were enough to make me not want to stay here again. Perhaps it wouldn't have been as bad if we were in a different room but we'll never know.

Room Tip: Make sure to ask for one AWAY from the shared toilets.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Peterborough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

I chose this hostel as I had stayed here twice before (2003 and 2008) and can honestly say this hostel has only got better each time I have stayed here. Don't be deceived though, amenities are very basic and the rooms are very small but if like me you just want a place to rest your head then I would definately recommend this as place to stay!

I booked this trip for my Partner's birthday as I wanted to take him to the Queens day festival (which is AMAZING and is definately worth going to), so we didn't spend a massive amount of time in the hostel although it was excellent as a base to pop back to and take a breather from all the festivities, the staff are VERY friendly and VERY helpful and breakfast was delicious and a great way to start the day. The resident cat is also adorable but beware of leaving your window open as the cat sneaks in at all hours!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2012 via mobile

We enjoyed our stay here. Its pretty basic and the rooms smell like smoke, but the staff are really friendly and helpful. We shared a bathroom which was not great but okay. Location is great, make sure you go to the pub across the road on the corner.

• Stayed April 2012

Been to Hotel My Home? Share your experiences!