“OK but wouldn't stay again” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel My Home
Haarlemmerstraat 82, 1013 EV Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #82 of 174 Specialty Lodging in Amsterdam
Toronto, Canada
“OK but wouldn't stay again”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

We stayed at Hotel My Home for three days at the beginning of July. The hotel itself was pretty dated and as others have noted, it is extremely basic, which having spent most of our time out in the city, wasn't a huge problem for us.

The rooms themselves were quite small and dated and the walls were quite thin; we were situated next to a bathroom (toilet/sink only) and could hear and SMELL everything, if you know what I mean. That was by far the worst part of the hotel. Common bathroom facilities are fine but this place did not have good ventilation in the toilet areas so we had to go out and buy incense to light in our room and keep the smell out. The shower stalls, on the other hand, I have no complaints about.

The location of the hotel was great; very convenient to the central train station. The staff were really nice and cooked a lovely breakfast in the morning (eggs any way you like) and that was much appreciated.

In the end, the hotel was OK (minus the insane stair cases - not just the photos that have already been posted but look through the kitchen area to the "attic" where we stayed our first night before they moved us to a more humane area) but I would not stay here again. The dated rooms and smell from the bathrooms were enough to make me not want to stay here again. Perhaps it wouldn't have been as bad if we were in a different room but we'll never know.

Room Tip: Make sure to ask for one AWAY from the shared toilets.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Peterborough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

I chose this hostel as I had stayed here twice before (2003 and 2008) and can honestly say this hostel has only got better each time I have stayed here. Don't be deceived though, amenities are very basic and the rooms are very small but if like me you just want a place to rest your head then I would definately recommend this as place to stay!

I booked this trip for my Partner's birthday as I wanted to take him to the Queens day festival (which is AMAZING and is definately worth going to), so we didn't spend a massive amount of time in the hostel although it was excellent as a base to pop back to and take a breather from all the festivities, the staff are VERY friendly and VERY helpful and breakfast was delicious and a great way to start the day. The resident cat is also adorable but beware of leaving your window open as the cat sneaks in at all hours!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2012 via mobile

We enjoyed our stay here. Its pretty basic and the rooms smell like smoke, but the staff are really friendly and helpful. We shared a bathroom which was not great but okay. Location is great, make sure you go to the pub across the road on the corner.

• Stayed April 2012
Canberra, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

This was a little hard to find, but once there was okay. Close eateries etc. Included breakfast (continental) and the staff were helpful.

The rooms were tiny. We were located right next to the bathroom so heard it most of the night :(

Room Tip: Room away from toilets!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Jerusalem
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2012

This is a difficult place to review. Usually I feel you should review somewhere according to how well it achieves what it sets out to do or to be. No-one criticizes an Indian restaurant for not having any Tex-Mex dishes. This hotel aims to provide safe, clean accommodation with a very basic investment in facilities - and it does just that. I stayed for four nights with a friend, in a room that was occupied about 60 percent by a reasonably comfortable twin bed. The breakfast was also very basic but welcome and served pleasantly.
The location is great - Haarlemmerstraat offers a unique Amsterdam combination of "coffeeshops", restaurants and pubs, and interesting shops. Ten minutes from Amsterdam Centraal (very close, but still a pain on a cold, rainy January night...), and also close to the lively and yuppie Jordaan neighborhood.
Having said all that - I can't give this more than two stars over all, simply because it is so very basic. As other reviewers have said, if you know what you're coming to, you shouldn't be disappointed.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2012

The hotel itself isn't the most stunning to look at by any stretch of the imagination, the decor was quite old but still kept very clean which is a credit to the staff. For the price we paid, the service we got was great. The few staff there were really helpful and friendly, especially when we were asking for recommendations of where to go, they were more than happy to cook us breakfast a little later than advertised when we strolled down the stairs feeling worse for wear! The only stumbling point was the hugely steep stairs leading up to the rooms (excuse the pun), however this actually turned out to be great fun when rolling in at silly o clock in the morning! Location was also brilliant. Will definitely return.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2011

Location of the hostel was good. We had a triple room which was quite tight on space, but the beds did the trick. The host was nice - everything was good and value was in line with what we had paid for.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel My Home? Share your experiences!