“Value for money; Good Location” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Stayokay Amsterdam Vondelpark

You added Stayokay Amsterdam Vondelpark to your Saves list
Stayokay Amsterdam Vondelpark
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   Zandpad 5, 1054 GA Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Museumplein)   |
Ranked #40 of 176 Specialty Lodging in Amsterdam
Mumbai
“Value for money; Good Location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2009

Stayokay Vondelpark (pronounced as Fondelpaark), is located right next to Vondelpark, which is a very big park in Amsterdam. Apart from the proximity to a ver pretty park, the hostel is also close to a lot of important locations like Mac-Bike hiring store, ABN Amro ATM -and a mere 15 minute cycle ride from the Red Light Area.

It is a bit far off from the airport, but with the tram facility available, that is not a problem.

The rooms are decent, with attached bathrooms - the locker facility is a bit t be desired for - the breakfast is okay - but the bar is decent...

The pool table and other entertainment is not upto the mark, but thats okay - you anyways rather hangout by the canals or coffee shops rather than the pool table while in this city..

All in all - a very nice economical stay - and good people managing the hostel. They had forgotten our bookings, but when they realised that it was their mistake, they were quick to apologise and fix us up in rooms - gave us complimentary drinks too.. However, when you go - make sure that you reconfirm your bookings so that there is no problems.

Remember to first go and hire a mac-bike - bec they run out in peak season - and cycling is the best way to explore this wonderful city. We even took our bikes to Rotterdam via train - and that is also a convenient and cheap option.

Last - have the falafel at Maos - they make the best ones I have had across my travels...

• Liked — Location
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Boston
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2009

We stayed at the stayokay for 3 nights. We didn't book ahead of time, so it was a little pricier than we were expecting. We had a 20 bed room (I believe) and there were a few things that grossed me out-the rooms looked like they haven't been swept or vacuumed in about a month (lots of dirt and trash from other people), the bathrooms also looked the same, with hair all over the place and the floors were also pretty dirty and gross. Also, the bed linens are very clean, but I don't think that they wash the pillows or comforters at all. I didn't really care about that, but if you are a germ freak, you may have a problem.
The location is great. Vondelpark is gorgeous to walk through and the tram is really close by, along with about a hundred places to eat and people watch. The people at the front desk were very helpful and friendly, the bar is nice-always packed at night, and the breakfast is good and included in the price. I would like to come back to Amsterdam again, but not sure if I would stay here because of the lack of cleaning!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2009

The location is amazing, the hostel is very organized, clean, the room is perfect, there are a lot of possibilities for fun and meet people, and the breakfast is like a hotel!!!! I think is the best option to stay in Amsterdam!!!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Conway, NH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2009

I had a great time staying at Stayokay Vondelpark. It had a great location - just far enough out of the way that it was very quiet at night, enough so that I could get a full night's sleep, which is rare for a hostel. At the same time, it was located next to Vondelpark, a great place to relax and run/bike during the daytime, and quite close to Leidsplein, a great place for partying at night. It's pretty much ideal. The room was very clean.
My only gripe with this hostel is that it felt very much like I was customer rather than a guest. Other than the breakfast, which is included in the bill (a huge plus), everything costs extra. This isn't out of the ordinary for a hostel, but dealing with the receptionists, I always felt like I was being pushed to buy something, whether it be a padlock, a towel, or access to the internet.
However - it's a great feature to be able to buy tickets at reception - you can skip past the lines without paying extra! They offer discounts on 24 hour bike rentals, which I highly recommend taking advantage of for a shorter trip.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
Shropshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2009

Everything you would expect of a hostel really, not too much else to say. I stayed in a six person dorm, with a sink, toilet and shower in the room. Shower was not very good, but useable. (dribbly/variable).

The only complaint I would have, (which is quite dependent, as the hostel is large and has many 'sides'), was that we were on quite a noisy street with people making noise all through the night, and the windows didn't stop the noise coming in, but it wasn't the end of the world.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2009

Huge hostel located right by Vondelpark. It's very well located for the BusAbout drop off / pick up point, so makes a fab accomodation option if you have a BusAbout pass. The hostel is very well organised, and kept immaculately clean. The breakfast is free and fantastic - it's just a shame so many people take advantage and steal huge amounts of food. The bar is good, and offers fairly priced food. I would definately recommend this hostel.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
lancashire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2009

I've stayed in hostels all over europe. This is the worst i've encountered. In fact, this is the only one i've ever given a bad review to. There are lot's of other options so give this place a miss. Why?

In summary, me and friends paid 60 euros each to spend two nights in a dirty room. The staff were unrepeantant for their blood stained sheets and were actually rude in reponse. I will never stayok again.

We booked two 4 bed rooms here about a month before we travelled. We arrived to find that they didn't have the rooms we booked but they assured us they would sort it out. When they finally did, we ended up with a room that was already occupied. They did eventually move the other people out though. Unfortunately this meant our room hadn't been cleaned.

There were however fresh sheets ready to make the beds up with, at least i thought they would be fresh. In fact my sheets were stained with what appeared to be blood. I took them down to reception to get fresh ones. I didn't bother with the que to check in, but instead placed the blood stained sheets on the side of the desk, assuming the staff would simply give me some fresh sheets, being able to see what the problem was. The staff did indeed see the sheets and continued to ignore me. When they had finally dealt with the que of new arrivals they handed me clean sheets. This process took about five seconds but they made me wait ten minutes. Whilst handing me the sheets, instead of apologising for my sheets been covered in blood, they pointed out that i should have joined the que with the people checking in.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Stayokay Amsterdam Vondelpark? Share your experiences!