“Very well situated” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Stayokay Amsterdam Vondelpark

You added Stayokay Amsterdam Vondelpark to your Saves list
Stayokay Amsterdam Vondelpark
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   Zandpad 5, 1054 GA Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Museumplein)   |
Ranked #41 of 176 Specialty Lodging in Amsterdam
Madrid
“Very well situated”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2008

Only one restroom and one shower are insufficient for 6 person, particularly if the cleaning is not daily. Small lockers.
Otherwise the general atmosphere is friendly and respectful, and the common areas are wide and modern.
The location in a park is perfect.

Stayed September 2008

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Kuala Lumpur
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2008

As this was the first part of our Europe trip, we decided to go cheap with the accomodation and booked this hostel. Was already expecting to "rough it out" but we were pleasantly surprised arriving at Stayokay.

The plus points
1) The atmosphere was nice and warm (especially since it was freezing cold outside). Nice to hang out at the pool table or small pub in the lobby and a good place to meet other young people.
2) Easy internet access in the lobby
3) The breakfast was by far the most generous spread we found on our entire trip. Cold cuts, cheese, cereal, muesli, beverages, toast, pastries etc
4) Within walking distance of the Leidsplein stop and you can pretty much walk everywhere in Amsterdam from this place.
5) Location felt very safe although quiet. It is just next to the gorgeous Vondelpark and museums... Highly recommend you have a nice morning walk there...
6) The male staff who man the front desk in the mornings (well, when we were there) are very very helpful. They took time to point out to us locations of places and give suggestions. The female staff who was on duty in the evening however was the complete opposite almost to the point of rudeness.

Average:
1) Room wasn't well heated. We had a bunk bed and as I had the top bunk on the first night - ended up shivering like crazy until we improvised and moved the mattress to the floor and thus closer to the heater.
2) Room met basic needs. Don't expect anything more...

Minus:
1) Coin operated luggage storage near lobby - wasn't big enough for our bag (although admittedly we had a huge one)
2) Having arrived early early in the morning (around 7am) we were given a keycard to our surprise as we had been notified that check-in was in the afternoon. Confused, we went to the room only to give a shock to the people who were still sleeping in there when we opened the door.

• Liked — Breakfast spread, location, staff friendliness, atmosphere
  • Disliked — Room size + heating
  • Stayed December 2007
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2008

I booked online before arriving in Amsterdam, panicked that most hotels and hostels in the city seemed booked up. This was a major mistake, not only because there were many more available hotels to find when I got to the city, but also because Vondelpark immediately charged the whole amount to my credit card for 4 nights.

I had to leave Amsterdam on the first night, due to a major family emergency and hoped that some portion of my stay could be refunded. Not at all. Not only that, but they were extremely unfriendly about it, telling me simply that it was my responsibility to get travel insurance.

And the place was a zoo, a terrible place down a long muddy path, awful even for the one night I was there. I'd heard this was one of the better hostels in Amsterdam, and I usually have a high tolerance, but still... Endless teenagers on holiday, the three people in my room smoking up the whole time, constant noise, awful institutional feeling all around.

But all this would have been ok if they'd shown the slightest consideration.

-R. Adam

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Their absolute lack of consideration
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Vancouver, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2008

Stayokay was my first hostelling experience and boy was I ever traumatized. My bf booked a "mixed room" so we could both enjoy the hostelling experience. I ended up being the unlucky (or maybe it was lucky) one that got to room with NINE other males! This was only the beginning. It was strange how when we checked in, they still did not give us the same bed at the very least. A top and a bottom of the same bunk. Instead, we got split up. I found it rather odd.

This place was dirty. I'm not too sure the bathroom was ever cleaned. Showers? What shower? In a "mixed" room, I'd have expected at the very least for there to be a place to shower AND change. Instead, there is a tiny space/box for you to do the shower business and "change your clothes". I guess I could have just been the "liberal tourist" and walked out stark naked to get a better place to change my clothes but alas I'm not and I managed to get clothes wet time in and time again.

Theres a nearly nonexistent excuse for a shower in regards to shower pressure. About five drips of water come out of the shower head thats stuck way up the wall. The only way to get any water is to press your bodies right up against the wall almost licking the dirty tiles. I tried it at various times of the day hoping for the "better" showertime.. there was none!

If you were hoping to be courteous to the fellow hostelmates and not wake them too early. Theres no way around it especially when there is a creaky floorboard right near the bathroom. It's not just a subtle creak but a loud, wake you up type. At the time of morning or even afternoon for some, I'd say it's worse than the token bad snorer of the bunch.

There was a "breakfast" that was offered and it was by far one of the worst. Plain, plain and plain. Bread was hard, standard selection of meats/cheeses and cereals. Even a piece of ham had some green mold forming on the edges. I was quite surprised it even passed the inspection block. Quite the disappointing "breakfast" if you can even call it that. You'd have a better bet feeding the hunger stepping out of the hostel to "refuel".

The only positive out of this experience is there was a "bed" to sleep on and thank goodness our hostelmates saved it from being a complete washout. At the end of the day, I can say "I slept with 9 other guys when I went to Amsterdam". It might be ideal for the partyer who never plans to shower/sleep but... for everyone else.... I am absolutely sure there is more bang for your "budget buck" than Stayokay. Stayokay was definitely NOT okay. Be warned, one of the "worst" accomodations around.

Despite this bad experience, I still recommend Amsterdam for people, if not just to see the Anne Frank Haus. A gem of a museum. I also found the club Escape pretty awesome as well.

• Liked — Hostelmates
  • Disliked — Everything!
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Seattle, WA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2008

The Stayokay Vondelpark hostel is by far the worst hostel/hotel I have ever stayed at. They have ridiculous policies, such as "no food or drink allowed in the hostel" and a cancellation policy that might as well not exist. My travel companions and I tried to cancel our third night at the hostel 48 hours in advanced which, in my experience, is never a problem. This hostel had already charged my card and refuses to give refunds. I should have read this on the website, but be advised, if you are anything like me and like to have flexibility in your travel schedule, this hostel will never give a cent back to you! (Even if you cancel two weeks in advanced, you only get a percentage back).

In addition to this, they don't have some of the amenities I consider standard to a hostel for budget travelers, especially a kitchen. I also found the staff to be a bit rude and unapproachable, probably because they have to deal with hoards of drunk teenagers on a daily basis (another deterrent) and because they work for a money-making machine.

I hated the impersonal feel of this place and the unfriendly policies toward budget travelers. Please, steer clear of this and all Stayokay hostels! You can find something better for certain!

• Liked — The room was clean
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Dallas, TX
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2008

My husband and I have stayed at hostels before but this time we took our three kids- ages 8 to 14- and found it to be a little too basic for them. It was safe and the location was great but too spartan, too many rough looking young men hanging around- although we never felt threatened or unsafe. The staff was great and very helpful and I would stay here alone with my husband but I think a nicer, full service hotel is best with a family. My kids couldn't believe that we used to travel this way all of the time! A real eye opener for them!

• Liked — Price and location
  • Disliked — No towels- had to buy them!
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2008

If refer to hostel standard, this is a pretty good hostel. This hostel has been managed professionally.
The room is clean, equipped with 1 bath room and 1 toilet. Everyone will get a clean sealed bedsheet whever they check into room. Each one also has their own wardrobe.
Breakfast is good.
Location is not bad either. Amsterdam is small, every place is within walking distance.
The only poor part is the price. It is not cheap.

Stayed April 2008

Been to Stayokay Amsterdam Vondelpark? Share your experiences!