“A great Hostel” 5 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Stayokay Amsterdam Vondelpark to your Saves list
Prices are for rooms, adults
Stayokay Amsterdam Vondelpark
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   Zandpad 5, 1054 GA Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Museumplein)   |
Ranked #39 of 174 Specialty lodging in Amsterdam
Vancouver Island
“A great Hostel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

There was nothing wrong with this hostel and I was hesitant on staying there after reading some reviews. Was it a little hot? Yes, but we were there in July. Staff was friendly, room was clean, beds were comfortable enough to sleep 8 hours in. Wifi downstairs but not in rooms...but I get the reason as some people then would have computers on all night and be disturbing to others in the room. Don't complain about no wifi in the rooms - you are traveling and its right downstairs! Breakfast was MORE than I expected. We loved that we could rent bikes right at the hostel - it was perfect. Early morning bike rides through the park that the hostel lies in was beautiful. Such a nice setting in this park. The place also felt very secure, using your keys at many doorways. Lockers in the room fit our big packs. Bring a lock with you.
I would stay here again for sure. Hopefully other negative comments do not put people off.

Room Tip: We were in the back building (along a outdoor corrider) and it was very quiet. Building C I believe...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
StayokayVondelpark, Guest Relations Manager at Stayokay Amsterdam Vondelpark, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Thank you for your kind words and great review!
I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our friendly staff, the breakfast being more then expected and our bike rental service! You are right about the wifi not being accessible in the rooms.
Thank you and we hope to see you again! Kind Regards, Anna Stayokay Vondelpark

685 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Cocoa, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

Hostels are what I expect them to be, a cheap place to lay your head, this one is no exception. But, I don't expect to be treated with hostility. Great location to everything, dorm style rooms (you know, you make your own bed, etc.) Pay a deposit fee for a towel which you have to wait in line for only to have the hostile employee take other people randomly walking up to the counter in front of the line???? Fortunately, we just stayed a couple nights as we were backpacking trough Europe. I really can't tell you much more because basically just slept and showered.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for your response! Good to hear that we were what you expected us to be.
Great that you enjoyed our location, next to the Vondelpark. We have a few busy weeks in our hostel. I appologize that the reception(ist) seemded to be hostile by letting others go stand in front off you. We kindly ask our guests to wait in line, unfortunately not everyone listen to us. I hope it did not caused to much of a problem and you enjoyed your stay in Amsterdam.
Kind Regards, Anna Stayokay Vondelpark
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

The dorm was clean. Toilets and showers were reasonably clean, services such as bike rental, maps provided etc were great and the location of the hostel was very convenient. Free wifi downstairs in public areas but not in the dorms. Pretty good bar/cafe downstairs and a nice common area.

The room was EXTREMELY hot and stuffy. Fortunately sleep comes relatively easily for me so it wasn't a major problem but I imagine that the discomfort from this would really bother some.

The lift was also broken while I was there. While I know it's not hostel staff's job to carry my bags upstairs, I did book this place because there was a lift. Because it was broken, I had to figure out how to get my suitcase up/down four floors (eight flights of stairs). Being very petite, I just couldn't do it alone and hostel staff did not offer any sort of help. As it was about 7am when I left, so there was no one passing by for me to ask for help. The only place I could find someone to ask for help was at the reception and they more or less told me to just figure it out myself. I waited about 20 minutes before another guest passed by and helped me.

If not for the unhelpful staff, I'd give this place 4 stars.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Dear, thank you for your response! Good to hear that you enjoyed the clean rooms and bathrooms in our hostel. Well done on renting a bike, the best way to experience Amsterdam. We experienced a real heat wave, making it really hot in the rooms. We rent our fans in our reception for the people who can not get to sleep in the heat. I am glad to hear that you managed that. I am sorry to hear about the staff not being able to help. It was higly inconvenient for all of us, fortunately the lift is fixed again. It is almost impossible for the reception staff to leave the reception, for safety reasons. However I appologize for the troubles it caused you. We hope you enjoyed your stay! Kind Regards, Anna Stayokay Vondelpark
Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

We were a group so we booked a room with en-suite bathroom and toilet. very good, clean hostel and friendly and helpful staff. check in was fast though our rooms were not available yet when we came so deposited our bags in the lockers for a minimal fee. check out was likewise easy, you just drop the key cards at the silver box provided near the inner entrance. the beds were comfortable with fresh linens ready to make beds with. Toilet and bath were separate which was good and convenient for a group. you must bring your own towel and toiletries otherwise you have to buy from them or from outside. wifi is available only at the lobby but no problem because there is enough space for everyone. beside the hostel is vondelpark ideal for walking or jogging. Dam Square and other attractions are walkable. we had to leave early in the morning but the staff gladly asked the kitchen to pack our breakfast for take away. also, they printed my airline e-ticket free of charge. would not hesitate to stay here again.

Room Tip: travel with a group so you can book a room as a private room with your own toilet and bath.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
StayokayVondelpark, Guest Relations Manager at Stayokay Amsterdam Vondelpark, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Thank you very much for you response and great advise! We are happy to see that you enjoyed your stay with us! We hope to see you again soon! Kind Regards, Anna Stayokay Vondelpark
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

This hostel was great! I'm
Only staying two nights but the staff has been extremely welcoming and helpful. The dorm rooms are pretty spacious and are clean. this hostel caters to groups and families, which makes for a very mixed environment. It's in a good location right by the beautiful vondelpark and close to trams and buses! There's cheap food and drinks at the bar except it closes pretty early ( also opens early so I guess that's a fair trade off) free breakfast is simple, but sufficient. I would definitely recommend this location!

• Stayed July 2013
Thank you for your great review! We are glad to hear that you enjoyed our hostel and location. Our hostel is for all ages, this makes pa great mix of different guests!
Vondelpark is right is our doorstep and a perfect location to have a walk or a picnick. Thank you for recommanding us! Kind Regards, Anna Stayokay Vondelpark
Prague, Czech Republic
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights, room was really clean and was good to have a bathroom and toilet in the room, but it was so hot no aircon and no windows to open so was hard to stay in room during the day as it was so hot. No wifi in rooms which sucked you had to go down to the common area and even then the Internet is not that good. It's a great location really close to everything and easy to find. The breakfast was amazing so much food and a good variety. Some of the staff are really rude, if I went back to Amsterdam I wouldn't stay here again I just think for the price you pay which is a lot and more on weekends it doesn't have much to offer.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your response! Good to know that you enjoyed our breakfast, rooms and location!
Sorry to hear that the wifi was not working properly. We have different area's in the hostel and different servers. Did you mention it to the staff? We are suprised to hear that the staff can be rude. It is not acceptable to be rude to guests. We would like to get in contact with you so that we can prevent this from happening again! We hope you had a pleasant stay in Amsterdam! Kind Regards, Anna Stayokay Vondelpark (vondelpark@stayokay.com)
Dundee, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

Very good hostel. Helpful staff, clean rooms, and very secure. I stayed in a 4-bed with en-suite bathroom - room had a separate shower room and toilet room which was very handy. Good bar area with offers on every night judging by the adverts. Also had a very good area with sofas and computers where a lot of people always appeared to be gathered to use the free wifi. Hostel had a mix of families, stag doo's, individual and groups of travellers and everyone seemed in good spirits without disturbing the other guests. Was very surprised about how good the location was, was expecting it to be further out, but Dam Square is a very walkable distance away, as well as Vondelpark being right across the path outside.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Dear, Thank you for your wonderful response. We have a great mixure of guests, and are happy that everyone is getting along! Good to know that you enjoyed your stay with us! We hope to see you again! Kind Regards, Anna Stayokay Vondelpark
Prices are for rooms, adults

Been to Stayokay Amsterdam Vondelpark? Share your experiences!