“Pretty good hostel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Stayokay Amsterdam Vondelpark

Save Saved
You added Stayokay Amsterdam Vondelpark to your Saves list
Stayokay Amsterdam Vondelpark
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   Zandpad 5, 1054 GA Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Museumplein)   |
Ranked #39 of 174 Specialty lodging in Amsterdam
Townsville, Australia
“Pretty good hostel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2011

With a few friends we booked a four bed dorm at this hostel in August. Cheap accommodation was scarce as there was a festival in town. Although this room cost us about 40 Euros each per night, we all thought Stayokay Vondelpark was pretty good for a hostel.

The hostel is located right in the Vondelpark, a little way out of town. Bike hire costs 11 Euros per day and with that central Amsterdam is only a 5 to 10 minute ride. The room was clean with a large bathroom, but consisted of only 4 bunks, 4 cupboards, and a char. But you don’t go Amsterdam to stay in your room all day. The breakfast was large and varied.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends

686 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Guelph, ON
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2011

This hostel is well set-up for big groups, so I found it less than spectacular for a solo traveler.
The room I stayed in was clean enough, but not super clean, and the washroom facilities were decent, but not great.
They serve quite a large breakfast which is quite good if you planning a whole day of walking in the city, but don't expect an American style breakfast, this is Europe after all.
The location is great, just in front of the Vondelpark and not far from the Van Gogh Museum. It is also not that far from most things in the city; I never bothered with the public transit and walked everywhere.
If you want to be close to the action and the red light, this is not the place for you. If you want to have a nice location, which is secure, and you can count on any time, then the Stayokay Vondelpark is the place for you.

Room Tip: Smaller dorms are key here.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2011

Nice location, in front of the Vondelpark, but the staff was not friendly, the breakfast wasn´t good and the lifts didn´t come to the last floor, which is a problem because of the lugagge.
Wouldn´t go back.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2011 via mobile

This hostel was more like a hotel with massive dorm rooms. There were families, older clients and lots of groups on bux weekends. For us it was fine because we were there for a short time. But if u are coming to make friends and go out with other travelers I think that would be more difficult at this hostel.

• Stayed August 2011
Sussex, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2011

I was part of a group of six girls staying here over the May 2011 Bank holiday, we payed £54 each for the three nights. For this we had our own dorm with breakfast inlcuded each day. The breakfast was basic with alot of choice, but get down early to avoid the long queue.
The location is very central, however at night I wouldn't have walked to and from the hostel on my own as you have to walk down a dark road or through the park to get back to the hostel.
I would definitely recommend this hostel for short budget stays. One criticism, it wouldn't hurt to run a duster around the rooms once in a while as they are quite dusty!!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Scotland.U.K.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2011

I had been going there for year's.I went back drunk one night to put something in my room,then go get dinner to straighten out.They said I hade made a noise the night before.My friend was in the bunk below me and never heard anything.I said I had been going there for year's without a problem.They never explained the noise I made.I was thrown out at 10.00pm on a Friday night for being drunk..I had my case and passport and credit card's with me,and no place to stay.It was totally irresponsible.People were passing me drugged up and I was thrown out for being drunk.Double standard's?It took me till midnight to get relocated.It also cost me more euros.If I had not found another place to stay,I would have fell asleep eventually and been robbed.This could have left me with no passport and credit card's and no way of getting back home.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
York, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2011

Ideal accommodation for groups travelling to Amsterdam on a limited budget. Wasn't expecting much for the price we paid but we were pleasantly surprised with the size of the rooms and the facilities on site. Breakfast was better than expected but get there early!Excellent location too being next to the park and close to all amenities.
Age range of guests 16 - 70 so nobody should feel out of place.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Stayokay Amsterdam Vondelpark? Share your experiences!