“A three star hotel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of West Side Inn Hotel

Save Saved
You added West Side Inn Hotel to your Saves list
West Side Inn Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Voorburgstraat 250, 1059 VD Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Formerly HEM Hotel Amsterdam)   |
Ranked #271 of 345 Hotels in Amsterdam
Prague, Czech Republic
“A three star hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

Stayed here for two-night stay and even tho I was a bit worried thanks to tripadvisor reviews, I must say that I actually had quite a nice stay.

First of all, do not expect luxury. It's just a three-star and it IS a three-star hotel. The room had new furnishment with an LCD TV with over 70 channels in all main languages. My room was facing the highway, which is just in front of the hotel, but there was no noise at all! Also the location from the Schiphol was very convenient - just one stop by train to Lelylaan and then two stops by metro. The connection to the city center is easy as well, the tram goes (even on weekend!) every few minutes and it all takes less than 30 minutes (plus you got to see other parts of beautiful Amsterdam). Check-in process was very quickly (hi, your name? your cards, enjoy!) and the guy on the reception (Jos) was very helpful, friendly and accommodating. Same was with Ms. Zitteren from the reservations, who helped me with struggles and requests with my reservation.

The cons of the hotel were not that bad. The toilet was leaking a bit (just some water under the toilet) and I didn't think of it as a huge problem so I didn't even tell at the reception; there was also hair in the sink and the shower door was opening a bit. The heater did not work good as well, but after telling at the reception, an extra heater was put in my room while I was outside of the hotel.

Can not say a word about breakfast as I was sleeping druing breakfast time, but please, do not buy any kind of burger at local restaurant. Pizza was good tho.

I will probably return as I was satisfied with the service, accommodation and price.

Room Tip: my room was 250, not facing east
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Amsterdam
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

My overall rate to this hotel is POOR for the following reasons:
1) I found bedbugs in all the beds in the room we were staying.
2) The showers/bathrooms were not very clean
3) There was poor lighting

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

San Jose, Costa Rica
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2014

This was a very cheap hotel. Don't get conned into using the shuttle. The cheapest way to get there is take the train one stop to Lelylaan and then take bus 62. The bus driver drops you off near the hotel. You have to walk down a sidewalk but not far. The sign on Google map is wrong. The sign is still there, but it has the hotel's name on it.

As far as the hotel, the staff is super friendly. Everyone spoke English, and it was a comfortable setting in that sense. And if you like art, there are several paintings on the first floor.

Pros - clean and comfortable bed, hot water, TV (couldn't find the remote), and the bathroom seemed clean. There was a nice sandwich/pizza area in the lobby and it was open at 9 p.m.

Cons - the dresser had hair and food crumbs on it, the curtains had to be held together with a bobby pin (which I left in the room for the next person), the shower was broken (tub worked fine), and the pillows were small.

If you're looking for a cheap hotel with a great staff and a comfortable bed, this would be the place for you. And if you have kids, this would be a good place too. There's a pool table.There are buses to the city center and you can get day passes. It's just outside the main part of Amsterdam and it's quiet.

If management fixed those things, I would give it a higher rating. The room was on the first floor, but the bathroom had no safety rails. I was in room 032.

Room Tip: Room 032 had a broken shower and the curtains didn't close. There were two beds pushed together...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Dhanbad, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014

this hotel is overall good and better than other in this location. it offers good services and value to customers with free wi-fi service. location is not good as it is located very far from tourist sites. The staffs were friendly to us, room was always stay clean. it means hotel is preferable to any one visiting Amsterdam.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
West-Side-Inn-Hotel, Guest Relations Manager at West Side Inn Hotel, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
Thank you for posting this review. We are glad to read you are really positive about the hotel and give us a 5 star review. The hotel is indeed not in the city center but just outside it. A lot of our guests see this as a positive thing. Most of the hotels that are inside the city center are much more expensive.
We are happy to read about your positive experience with the clean rooms,service and our staff.
We really hope you will come and stay with us again next time you visit.
Manningtree, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014

Stayed here for one night this weekend.
Got an excellent deal through Hotels.com for £29- the same price I paid for the relatively nearby Menninger but a much better hotel.
Easy check in, and good service from all staff.
I was in room 8 on the ground floor. Decent size room with a fridge, good en-suite (my shower head was adjustable which other reviewers have pointed out to not be the case) and plenty of seats plus a desk. Also a telephone but that was disconnected.
Food in restaurant was good- pizzas come highy recommended, and reasonably priced.
One complaint about the room was 2 of my towels were stained, but I took these back to reception and they were immediately replaced.
Problem with the West Side Inn is the location- in terms of being central to Amsterdam it is actually very close with a regular tram service taking 20mins to Central Station. However, it is a nightmare to find, and on a very nasty looking estate with high rise flats (I suppose the kind of Ilford of Amsterdam?!) and doesn't feel safe at night.
What was worse was that I returned at 23:30 in the pouring rain to find the gates all locked. I hadn't been told about this, nor had I been told where the side gate was! After wandering around for a while I found a gate with a bell and pressed it about 5 times, each time it buzzed and the gate remained locked. In the end the Night Porter came out to unlock it manually, but this was something I could have done without!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014

Over all we had a very good weekend at the hotel. Can't really have any complaints. Trams to center are round the corner and service was all first class from staff. We plan on staying here again when we return in May. I should also mention there is a very hand shop less than 5 mins walk from the hotel but the hotel do supply 24 hour food and drink service that is also very handy.

• Stayed January 2014
West-Side-Inn-Hotel, Guest Relations Manager at West Side Inn Hotel, responded to this review, January 30, 2014
Thank you very much for having taken the time to give us feedback on your recent stay at West Side Inn Amsterdam.
it is so nice to read that you had such a good experience and that you give us a 4 star review.
We hope to welcome you again in May.

Genoa, Italy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

I've been to Amsterdam on August 2013 for 4 days with a friend.
The Hotel was in a nice an quiet place but the city centre was about 20 minutes away by tram (n°2). We didn't have hurry and we usually walked through the little park next to the canal, really nice.
The staff was friendly and the room was always clean.
We ate at the mini-restaurant of the Hotel what a GREAT MISTAKE! We're Italian and we have taken two pizza.....were inedible.
There was also the free Wi-Fi connection, it worked very well.
I don't have more to say..All good except the food!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your positive review. So nice to read you had such a great time at our hotel.
We are glad you find our staff friendly and you have enjoyed the walk to the city center.
I am sorry that you did not enjoyed your meal at the hotel, you can always contact waiter, so we can help you directly.
We hope you choose our hotel again the next time you will visit Amsterdam!

West Side Inn Amsterdam

Been to West Side Inn Hotel? Share your experiences!