“CAN'T BEAT IT!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Museumzicht

Save Saved
You added Hotel Museumzicht to your Saves list
Hotel Museumzicht
1.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Jan Luijkenstraat 22, 1071 CN Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Museumplein)   |
Ranked #181 of 343 hotels in Amsterdam
Santa Barbara, California
“CAN'T BEAT IT!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

With one exception -- the stairs that go up and up, right out of a Martin Escher drawing -- we have nothing but praise for this small hotel one block from the Rijksmuseum, two blocks from the Van Gogh and Stedelijk Museums, and directly on the tram stop to Central train station and bus stop to the airport.

The place appears to be a converted home and has interesting art works of all kinds that give a personal feeling. Accumulated over time by a single taste, rather than purchased to decorate a hotel.

We had a large double room on a corner with windows taking up nearly two walls -- windows that open, overlooking trees and the street. We can see the back arch of the Rijksmuseum from here. The twin beds, pushed together to make a large double, were deliciously comfortable. We rated this large and comfortable room by reserving for a week.

We were particularly taken with the (free) breakfasts, served by cheerful staff in a bright family dining room with plenty of windows. Sliced ham and cheese, soft-boiled eggs, and REAL CREAM fresh from the cow for our coffee.

The owner works in the hotel on Fridays. She has firm ideas about how guests should behave, and I must admit we were afraid to ask for seconds on coffee. Other days of the week you are safe!

Room Tip: We had the room closest to the kitchen, on the "lobby" floor. It did get some noise from t...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

137 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

I realise many people have their dislikes about this "Hotel" - but really it doesn't get more dutch than Hotel Museumzicht. Traveled there with my mom. Absolutely fabulous! The horrid stairs, rude hostess, arbitrary beds, shared bathroom and fabulous breakfast just added to our wonderful stay in Amsterdam. So close to all transport and amazing RIJSTTAFEL right around the corner (If you travelling to Holland - GOOGLE rijsttafel). I just can't bring myself to really fault this place.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Surrey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

We stayed in the Hotel Museumzicht last year yet I still check it out now and then as I really loved it. The staff were lovely and talked to me about my interest in their little trinkets and old pipes in the pretty and cosy dining room. We had been delayed on the boat over to France and had to call them panicking we'd be stranded outside as we'd get there so late but a staff member stayed up specially to let us in. I'll always remember how kind that was!
Our breakfast was really tasty with meats and cheeses, toast and eggs and it was a perfect location to jump on a tram. We were also next to museums and park. Pretty awesome all in all.
The only daunting thing was the stairs, they are really steep but that's just the trend in Amsterdam.

Room Tip: Get there early, our room was up a lot of stairs, but we got there very very late! Or perhaps ask th...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Kobenhavn
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

I booked at the last minute and I did not expect much. The staff were very nice and friendly. The breakfast was good (be wared you may have to share a table). The location was as close as you can be to the museums. Just be aware there are lots of stairs (dutch style) and the room was not big, However it was excellent value so I would not have expected better.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

I stayed there from the 1st of march for 5 nights. there is a bus and tram stop right outside. although during the daytime it is noisy it is very quiet in the night for sleep. many windows in rooms which is a plus. great view to the rijks museum.very friendly staff. especially the lady owner and the tall guy. little washer inside the rooms (first time i see it). very spacy rooms. very nice beds.closet, chairs and desk inside.nice lighting and splendid view. very spacy shower. its actually whole room. matches in the toilet which is separate from the showers. the bus stop to the airport is close enough. and there's a super market and a great park out front.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
kent
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

I stayed at the Muzeumzicht for 3 nights while in Amsterdam for a Muse gig( which was flaming amazing).

Firstly, the smell on the stairway is not rotten rats, it is the cats which are kept next door, it is definitely cats, I know that smell, the neighbour should change her cat litter more often or give her cats better conditions because happy cats don't usually produce that smell.

The hotel is a funny little place, I loved it personally, a typical steep-staired Amsterdam house, vintage furnishings, great position and view. Easy access to Schipol on the 197 bus which stops just outside and it is a very easy walk to the canals and city centre. Amsterdam is a beautiful, clean and friendly city and I adore it. My single room was comfortable, bedding and towels were spotlessly clean as were the shared bathroom and toilet. There was traffic noise but that is what you get staying in a busy central location, I expect a canal side hotel might be quieter but also MUCH more expensive. Nice fresh breakfast and pleasant staff also. For the location and price it perfect for the not overly fussy traveller for a few nights. No TV but that is no problem because Dutch TV is rubbish (sorry but it is) and it did me good to get away from the world for a few days... you don't go to Amsterdam to watch telly do you? If you want luxury, pay more but for me this hotel was just right.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Museumzicht? Share your experiences!