“Great location but the room not so.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Continental

You added Hotel Continental to your Saves list
Hotel Continental
1.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Damrak 40-41, 1012 LK Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Centrum)   |
Ranked #288 of 356 Hotels in Amsterdam
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
“Great location but the room not so.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

The location of this hotel is excellent, just around 8 - 10 mins walk from the Amsterdam Centraal Station and the surrounding area is full of restaurants, cafes, shops, travel agents/ tour operators, places of interest and hence it is always beaming with activities. There is also a tram station located nearby. Having said all that, the hotel is therefore very conveniently located and serves as a good base to explore the rest of the city. The Dam square is also not that far.The receptionists working at the hotel were all friendly and professional and always willing to help. Wi-fi connection is great too.

The downside of this hotel is that the rooms are a bit too small and you will feel it even more if you have luggages with you. The stairs are also a bit steep and you need to be extra careful when carrying a big bag up since there is no elevator in this hotel. The toilet was fine and clean.

All in all the hotel is just basic with the right amenities and facilities for a short city stay and ideally located to explore the rest of the city.

Room Tip: Choose lower floors if you have a big luggage with you.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Polish first
Antwerp, Belgium
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

A very small room, with a single bed and no space for luggage. One small window on wall view. No elevator and sometimes keys didn't work.
Oh I forgot to explain the check: 100€ for one night .
But the hotel was clean and was also close to the station and near to Dam square (that was convenient).

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with BudgetPlaces

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2014

This was my second time in Amsterdam having previously stayed at Hotel CC (for €59 a night). This time that hotel was booked out, as was most of Amsterdam. We decided to go for this hotel because of the location and the cheapish price (€70 a night) despite being wary because of the reviews.

First of all, the location is excellent. Last time my friend and I stayed on a street just one closer to the RLD and seemed to stay in that area when there is so much more to see in Amsterdam. This location was great, on a wide street close to train station, bars and restaurants.

On arrival we were greeted by a friendly receptionist, who was happy to lend us an adaptor without charge and informed us the wifi was free. Great!

Up the winding and plentiful stairs (which I have no memory or ability to comprehend how I managed to get up them later) and we discovered a clean, (relatively to Amsterdam) spacious twin room with tv and sink. This time, having travelled with my boyfriend, that was a downer but having reviewed my booking I believe that to be a fault of expedia selling rooms they don't have and not the hotel (double room booked but on confirmation states "twin - double room requested").

The communal bathroom and shower was very clean. However the hotel did have a hostel type feel to it with the young males stood outside the door. Amsterdam is a great city, lovely to walk and so many places to enjoy - all in all this hotel is not a bad choice as a base to explore Amsterdam.

From looking at booking again to stay in Amsterdam later this year it appears we got a great price for what we got and would consider it again in the future.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Irvington, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013 via mobile

This hotel was my last resort when I didn't book a hotel in advance on a weekend. I was lucky enough to get a room due to a last minute cancellation. The room was on the top floor with no elevator. The steps were very steep and carry a heavy bag was awful. I swear I thought I was going to tumble down them. Room was bare with 2 twin beds for my friend and I. Heat didn't work and the sheets were quite thin. Bathroom was next door. Very small but at least it was close by. The staff at the front desk was very polite and helpful. Hotel is in a perfect location. Too bad it doesn't have better standards. I don't think I'll be staying here again. I know now to book in advance!

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Birmingham
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2013

My room was on the top floor and had no heating and a window that could not close.
it was -3 in November so I caught a cold which ruined my trip.
Very overpriced, Rude staff.
I was charged 70 euros at reception, I looked online and the same room was 40 euros.
When I brought this to the attention of the staff they said it was not there problem and got very defensive.
Spoke to me like sh**
Treated me like sh**
AVOID AT ALL COSTS.
It may be on damrak but is basically a public toilet.

Room Tip: The best room is one that's not in this hotel.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

Well i must say ive never stayed in such a beautiful hotel.... Joke...it was awful,myself and partner oh and the mouse stayed ther for one night and that was enough,but we did see alot of amsterdam which is beautiful as we didnt want to go back to the hotel until we were so tired and we were out before check out ,we would go back to amsterdam but think we'd get a better hotel without the mice and the stench coming from the toilets,all i can say is good luck to the next person who stays there!!!!

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple