“Only for the diehards” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hemp Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Hemp Hotel
Frederiksplein 15, Amsterdam 1017 XK, The Netherlands (Stadsdeel Zuid)   |
Ranked #187 of 340 hotels in Amsterdam
Sydney, Australia
“Only for the diehards”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

This hotel is not for many, unless you want to relive university days. Mattresses on the floor, cats in the hallway, the worn and chipped walls of the room painted with bad scenery, shared (tiny) toilet and the slightly sickly sweet smell of marijuana in the stairwell - which is an almost vertical climb, narrow even by Dutch standards. While breakfast is included, it is - bizarrely - only served from 11am! The hotel is not expensive, but there are better choices for as good value nearby. Many reviews rave about the welcome, but for us it was perfunctory and focused on getting our cash payment on arrival. With windows open there is street noise at night.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

39 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

We booked the Hemp Hotel not knowing really what to expect! Soon as we got there the barman(Banta) offered us water, a place to chill whilst our check-in time and all the information we needed to know about Amsterdam!
The rooms were clean and very spot on for the price you pay in central Amsterdam!
However it was the staff and atmosphere that stood out, the help me and my friend received from the staff was unbelievable, we missed our bus and next day didn't even have a booking but we were welcomed to use the wifi and computer in the temple bar! I have never come across such a place with a nice laid back atmosphere and lovely staff! There is also a lovely cat that just adds to the calm atmosphere that at night times is full of cool Amsterdam locals!

Honestly tops all hotels I have ever been! It is what one expects of Amsterdam a calm and lovely place!
5* out of 5!!!

Room Tip: All the rooms are very close to eachother! All above the temple bar which is fantastic!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Richmond, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

I've staid 3 times at the HEM in the past 2 years. The Hotel is simple but cheap.The staff is very helpful the rooms are clean. No frills. Internet is free but spotty. Some rooms fit 3 beds in the space usually meant for 1. Don't look for room service or flat screen TV's in your room, Spartan is the key word for the HEM. Pizza parlour in Lobby has great Ribs with spaghetti. They also have a restaurant and bar with pool tables and big screen TV in the basement. Small local shopping mall 5 minutes or less away has bank, pharmacy, grocery, bakery and hardware stores. I always shop here for water, drinks , and other snacks for my room or trips into town. 15 minute walk over the many bridges and you'll find a slew of restaurants and pubs and more Dutch style stores including a great cheese store next to it a wine and spirits vendor .. Less than 10 minute walk to the main street and you take the tram directly into town. I walked it once it took just under an hour.

Room Tip: The rooms facing the back of the hotel are quieter.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Sharjah, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013 via mobile

You get what they say you will get. My room was nice and clean and different. The staircase is best labeled an adventure. The staff are all as friendly and helpful as they can be. Locals hang out in the bar so you can pick up good local knowledge at night

Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

I was charmed with the place, very comfortably and cozy and personally very agreeable age. When I came I surprised pleasingly that they provide access wifi free. It helped us very much on having planned our days.
Amsterdam is a wonderful city.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the hemp hotel from 29/3/13 - 3/4/13

"A lovely little place" probably best sums up the hemp hotel (I know I'm not the first reviewer to say that, and it's easy to see why) the staff at the hotel are very friendly, welcoming and helpful. I stayed as a solo traveller (first time solo holiday and first time to Amsterdam!) and they couldn't of made my stay any more comfortable. Breakfast is nice too.

The rooms are themed and fairly basic but nonetheless comfortable and a good place to get your head down after a long day.

Probably worth mentioning that although the hemp hotel doesn't sell weed they do have an amazing bar which is one of the very few places in Amsterdam where you can drink alcohol and smoke weed (bring your own obviously) wonderful chilled atmosphere and lovely people. Going back in August, can't wait! :)

• Stayed March 2013
Nuremberg, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

I loved the place, very comfy and cozy and the staff were very nice. When I got there I was pleasantly surprised that they provided free wifi. Helped alot when planning out our days. Amsterdam is kinda easy to get lost in, especially when partaking in the local herbs. Location is great and the price is right. 5 minute walk from Hermitage Museum, 10-15 from Rijksmuseum, 20 minute from Anne-Frank House and Amsterdam Center. Loved it and when I go back to Amsterdam I will go back to Hemp Hotel. Try the Toasties...mmm Toasties.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hemp Hotel? Share your experiences!