“The Hemp hotel is dank!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hemp Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Hemp Hotel
Frederiksplein 15, 1017 XK Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Stadsdeel Zuid)   |
Ranked #187 of 343 hotels in Amsterdam
Sharjah, United Arab Emirates
“The Hemp hotel is dank!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013 via mobile

You get what they say you will get. My room was nice and clean and different. The staircase is best labeled an adventure. The staff are all as friendly and helpful as they can be. Locals hang out in the bar so you can pick up good local knowledge at night

Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

40 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

I was charmed with the place, very comfortably and cozy and personally very agreeable age. When I came I surprised pleasingly that they provide access wifi free. It helped us very much on having planned our days.
Amsterdam is a wonderful city.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the hemp hotel from 29/3/13 - 3/4/13

"A lovely little place" probably best sums up the hemp hotel (I know I'm not the first reviewer to say that, and it's easy to see why) the staff at the hotel are very friendly, welcoming and helpful. I stayed as a solo traveller (first time solo holiday and first time to Amsterdam!) and they couldn't of made my stay any more comfortable. Breakfast is nice too.

The rooms are themed and fairly basic but nonetheless comfortable and a good place to get your head down after a long day.

Probably worth mentioning that although the hemp hotel doesn't sell weed they do have an amazing bar which is one of the very few places in Amsterdam where you can drink alcohol and smoke weed (bring your own obviously) wonderful chilled atmosphere and lovely people. Going back in August, can't wait! :)

• Stayed March 2013
Nuremberg, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

I loved the place, very comfy and cozy and the staff were very nice. When I got there I was pleasantly surprised that they provided free wifi. Helped alot when planning out our days. Amsterdam is kinda easy to get lost in, especially when partaking in the local herbs. Location is great and the price is right. 5 minute walk from Hermitage Museum, 10-15 from Rijksmuseum, 20 minute from Anne-Frank House and Amsterdam Center. Loved it and when I go back to Amsterdam I will go back to Hemp Hotel. Try the Toasties...mmm Toasties.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Holbeach, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

After reading all the dodgy reviews, I was kind of worried about coming here. However, as soon as I arrived at the Hemp I literally had no idea what anyone was talking about who had said how bad this place was, I fell in love with it!! I'm a bit of a clean freak so I was freaking out that this place would be dirty, and yeah the rooms aren't immaculate by any stretch, but apart from a bit of dust and some scuffs on the walls there was literally nothing to complain about. The bed, sink and carpet were clean and that's all that matters really. We stayed in the Indian room which is on the first floor, and I honestly fell in love with this room. The decor is beautiful - hand painted murals on the walls, lovely vibrant furnishings and ornaments, it was right to my taste and it was such a lovely environment to be in. It was really nice to get a break from your average bleak, loveless hotel room and stay in somewhere which oozed sentiment and personality. The staff we met were both lovely and helpful, the breakfast we had was basic but really fresh and tasty. I would recommend anyone who stays here to have a night in the bar, it's such a laugh. We spent a night down there chilling with the regulars and ended up playing a game of scrabble until about 3am, which was quite amusing! They also give very generous measures haha!!
There were a few minor problems we came across during our stay that others have mentioned on here; the stairs are absolutely terrifying at first but you do get used to them, luckily we only had to go up one flight to get to our room as we had big suitcases, but if we had been on the 2nd or 3rd floor I have no idea how we would've managed with our luggage - anyone with mobility problems could not cope here at all. Secondly, the toilet is literally a cubicle, you have to do a very awkward 360 degree spin even to flush the toilet, you can barely get out the door without being crushed. You also have to pull the door really hard for it to lock so the banging could be an issue in the night for people either side of the toilet. It is also kind of annoying have to go up the horrible stairs to use the toilet if you are staying in the Indian room. But its bearable. Also the noise at night was kind of annoying, although it only occurred on our first night here when I think the room above us had a party, the ceiling was so creaky and the heavy metal music they were playing was soo loud even from the floor above. Also when anyone walks up or down the stairs it bangs on the ceiling. As i said these issues are minor and didn't ruin our stay in the slightest, I definitely will be back at this hotel and anyone looking for a unique, authentic place to stay, come here, this place really does capture the spirit of the Dam!

Room Tip: Indian Room!!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012 via mobile

Just arrived home after a very memorable first visit to Amsterdam! The hemp hotel was in a great location, just a short tram ride to everything you might need. Our host was Merl, a friendly, down to earth guy who couldn't do enough to help. He gave us a very personal experience, a great insight into dutch culture! We ended up back in the hotel bar each night, and shared lots of stories and laughs with Merl and some of the regulars. Fair priced drinks and snacks available, and if you are around for the breakfast (brunch!) the coffee is lovely. The rooms were quirky, we stayed in the Afghan room, which had a lovely balcony overlooking the park. We would definitely come back and stay again :)

• Stayed June 2012
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2011

I just stayed for three months at The Hemp. Yeah, the place is more like a hostel than a hotel, so if cleanliness and high quality bedding are high on your list, this is not the place for you. But if you want to stay above an astoundingly friendly late night smoking bar located in the virtual heart of the city at a price that can't be beat, then you must stay at The Hemp. Be prepared to meet people from all over the world and stay up late every night.

Room Tip: Room number 5 is a weird shape and just over the bar, so take it only if you're a late night per...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business

Been to Hemp Hotel? Share your experiences!