“cheap and ideally located” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Heart of Amsterdam

Save Saved
You added Heart of Amsterdam to your Saves list
Heart of Amsterdam
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   Oudezijds Achterburgwal 118/120, 1012 DT Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Red Light District)   |
Ranked #85 of 173 Specialty lodging in Amsterdam
Paris, France
“cheap and ideally located”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2010

my friends took me to amsterdam for my bachelor party in november 2009
we were 8, occupying one of the dorms fully
the only drawback was that there was only 1 bathroom with the toilet in it so when 8 friends want to go, it takes some time and you don't want to go last.
the room was well organized though, and the bunks have little fittings that make it nicer than just the average dorm
a pretty good place overall if you're looking for a budget hostel with friends (staying there by yourself would be a little sad i guess)

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends

252 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
San Diego, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2010

Its a hostel and you get what you pay for. The PLUS about this location its an 8 min walk from the train station, you are 1/2 block from the red light district, and you are in the heart of the city. The room I was in had 8 beds with no air ventation! We had to crack open the windows for some fresh air. Fortunately it was cold outside, but if you visit during the summer it will be an oven! If you are looking to stay in the red light district then this is your place. I'd recommend staying a little further away from the red light district if you really want to experience Amsterdam.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2010

6 lads stayed here for 2 nights, the only major downfall of this place is the price, it wasnt overly expensive but it was overpriced for what it had to offer i think it worked out at 80 euros each for 2 nights.

We had a 7 man dorm bunkbed style,(room 7) there was lots of space and each bed had its own secure safe, the beds were clean and the next day the cleaners had been in to freshen up our room, something we wasnt expecting in hostel accomodation so that was good. we had our own toilet and a very powerfull shower which was good, and the staff didnt seem to have a problem with accomodating 6 loud english lads!

we did have 2 problems with our room tho, the first being that it seriously needed some airconditioning as it got very hot, so hot that i couldnt sleep and actually got up at about 7am after a heavy night out, hence the low rating on sleep quality (there was a fan but it had little effect)

The second problem is that the top bunks need a guard, our friend fell about 6ft out of the bed and landed on his face which wasnt nice!

apart from that the staff were helpfull and the place was perfect for our stay, and despite being a little overpriced and the 2 problems with our room i would stay again!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2010

I was travelling with three other friends, all of us 17, just for one night- in an 8 person dorm.
When we arrived the staff were friendly- free map yay. There wasn't any space left in the luggage room so we left our bags in the lobby, felt reasonably safe because there were staff to watch it from the reception desk but we didn't leave any valuables.
There is a supermarket quite nearby which was lovely.
Our room was clean but quite dark. We got nice little compartments beside our beds for stuff, and you each get your own light.
I wouldn't recommend this place for a good nights sleep- there are thin walls and people made noise outside until about 6am. However the real problem was security. We were not given a key each, there is just one per room and someone else had it, this person came in quite late at night so we were waiting around thinking when are we going to be able to lock our room. At first we went to reception to ask for a key and they said 'oh we'll just lock it for you' but why would you want to be locked in from the outside.....
At last our roomate came in and locked the door. However in the middle of night a group of people came in- we think they just lost their own room, but this meant that the door was just available for anyone to open!
Since there is no primary lock at the entrance to the hostel anyone from the street could just walk in...odd...
We slept with our valuables under our covers....
In the morning breakfast is offered but it didn't look so great so we got some nice pastry things from the supermarket mmm.
Good location, but it really is right in the red light district which was hilarious. Nice canal though?

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2010

No complaints about this hostel. A little dark, and the decor is strange but that's what makes it unique! Great location. People should understand that it's a *hostel* as in, not a luxury hotel so do not expect anything amazing! Of course it will be a little dirty and stinky, and very public. But that's what a hostel IS! We were with 4 girls total and 1 guy, ages 19. Well priced, met some people but overall didn't need to spend much time in the hostel because Amsterdam is amazing, no need to stay indoors! Nightlife=unreal.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled with friends
on the move
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2010

I’m writing this review because I too (like you) have read the horror stories of some of the hostels in Amsterdam and also read some of bad reviews this one. Personally, I don’t think those reviews are warranted. The Heart of Amsterdam hostel is a good hostel.

I travelled to Amsterdam in mid April 2010 and stayed for 3 nights (Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday). To be frankly honest, I wasn’t (at first) going to choose the Heart of Amsterdam because I had read a scathing review about it online.

However, a friend of mine had stayed there and recommended it. And, as a travellers tip, always give more weight to the opinions of friends than the disgruntled jersey customers with expectations that were too high anyway.

Having said that, we (travellers) all want value for money. And in my opinion, the heart of Amsterdam hostel was exactly that. Well priced, well positioned and well catered for.

The reason I haven’t given an “excellent” rating in my reviews is because I sort of save those rating for very very special places. But as far as hostels go, this one is above average (perhaps well above average).

LOCATION:
The Heart of Amsterdam Hostel is in the perfect cultural location. If you are coming to Amsterdam for a “rest” perhaps look for something outside the main areas. BUT if you are coming to Amsterdam to experience Amsterdam, this place is very ideal.

Its located in the heart of the red light district. I had never been to Amsterdam before so I didn’t know what the layout of the city was, or what to expect. But looking back, I’m glad I was in that area. It’s close to all the happenings and a short walk or bike ride to most attractions. I hope I am also conveying in this review my nervousness about travelling to Amsterdam.

As a 23yo non-smoker from a fairly liberal family, i’d like to think I’m a fairly open minded bloke. But the area that the hostel is in (the red light district) definitely pushed my comfort zone. It (and i guess i mean Amsterdam as a whole)is not for everyone (eg: i could see prostitutes from my room window) but looking back, I’m definitely glad I stayed there. Because you want to experience the new when travelling. And the location is perfect for that.

Having a non-smoking hostel was very important to me, but in Amsterdam that also limits ur options a bit. The heart was great with a no-smoking indoor policy. But also, there wasn’t that massive drug culture u see in other hostel – an important point for me.

Having said that, being in the central spot means noise will be around. Its not going to be deafening and restrict u from a sound sleep. But be aware that you are in a hostel in a party city – don’t expect complete silence.

Nevertheless, don’t fear the location either. Whether u get a good night sleep is actually down to the relationships u build with your fellow room mates. And on my last night there, I actually asked in advance if anyone was going to be having a “big” night cause I was keen to have an early one. Some Canadians said they were thinking about it, but would keep me in mind as they got ready to head out for a night on the town.

BUT more importantly for me, you want to feel CLEAN and SAFE. And the heart of Amsterdam hostel delivered that too.

CLEANLINESS (most important thing to me when travelling?!?!)

I’ve stayed in about 9 hostels during my travelling in Europe and the Heart of Amsterdam ranks in the top 3 for Cleanliness and security.

Put simply, its clean. More than just clean enough; I mean it was so clean for that I would recommend it to a friend. The bathrooms are well maintained and the toilets were cleaned daily.

Having said that, when u have large Albanian men sharing a room with you, always shower straight after the cleaners have been at 2pm to avoid the risk of hairy Albanian men going before you. But that’s just a travellers tip applicable to any hostel, anywhere.

The bed linen was clean and comfy too. The pillows were new and the inserts for the pillows were stain free. Furthermore the beds were quiet comfy. I sleep soundly every night.

Security wise, the place was great. At the top of your bunk was a shelf for your things and to the side was a secured locker for valuables (like my laptop and passport). I was thoroughly impressed with that.

The floors were well maintained and (at least my room) was well ventilated so there wasn’t that dirty hostel smell i’ve had before. I think this is also because of the revamp they had done last year. Looking back at some of the reviews, they were done before the revamp so i’d say they’ve cleaned a lot of the place up.

SERVICE AND VALUE FOR MONEY
I’ll admit, the Heart of Amsterdam hostel was not the cheapest option around. But as far as quality goes, my attitude is that i’m willing to pay a bit extra for a clean and better place. Talking to other travellers there, I think it’s fairly well priced.

As I mentioned before, the cleanliness of the rooms were worth the extra. Also, it can also be an expectation thing. I didn’t go there expecting 5 stars, but I did want a bed and a clean bathroom. I think a lot of the bad reviews on here are due to expectations of difficult people, who expect everything for nothing.

I’m not in that group of people. But i do have a tolerance limit. And the whole time i was there, I didn’t have to use it. The staff (as in most places) were very friendly. The girl at the front desk (tanya) couldn’t have been more understanding. There is a grumpy looking guy there from time to time but he did show a smile once (lol). But tanya was awesome, and its actually because if her i’m writing this review.

OVERALL
The heart of Amsterdam is very good. Not a 5 star hotel, but well above average in my opinion. I think its natural to think twice about booking a hostel based on a review. But hopefully after reading this, you won’t have to think a third time.

Heart of Amsterdam – 8 or 9/10!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2010 via mobile

Not for romantic couples thats for sure, bathroom small but clean, beds to small and cramped, but location great, wifi.. budget hotel.. i would only recommend this hotel if ur on a budget, lads hols or something cheap.

• Stayed April 2010

Been to Heart of Amsterdam? Share your experiences!