“Room 2- Worst hotel room ever!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Heart of Amsterdam

You added Heart of Amsterdam to your Saves list
Heart of Amsterdam
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   Oudezijds Achterburgwal 118/120, 1012 DT Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Red Light District (De Wallen))   |
Ranked #105 of 201 Specialty Lodging in Amsterdam
London
“Room 2- Worst hotel room ever!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2009

I travelled to Amsterdam with just one friend, myself and another girl and we are both 22. In terms of location we couldnt have asked for anything better, as it is right in the heart of the red light district and very easy to find.

When we booked our room we were told to give an estimated time of arrival, so that the room would be ready for us, we estimated that we would be there between 10-11am, we actually arrived at 11.30 and the room wasnt ready. He said it would be ready in an hour, which was fine, we went and got breakfast and came back.

We were given the key for room 2, the hotel has 3 floors and was suprised to be given a key to a room on the ground floor, not only the ground floor but the room directly behind reception. All the single private rooms have the same basic layout, 2/3 beds, a large movie poster, black floors and beams and a colour scheme. Our colour scheme was dark blue and had a very blurry picture of leonardo dicaprio from romeo and juliet above the wall. The first thing we noticed was the heat of the room- it was boiling hot and stuffy, as well as very dark. We couldnt help but feel like we were underground- so when we went to open the window to let some air in we were mortified to find that not only was the room behind reception but backed onto- the toilets. We could only open the window a few inches, and the view we got was of the hotels shared toilets. So we a stuffy, hot room with no fresh air and next to a toilet. The room was also very loud, you could hear people going from the lounge to the toilet and back, you could hear people checking in and out, you could hear everything. It was a nightmare, and felt like a prison cell. We couldnt quite beleive we had forked out 200 Euro's for 2 nights here.

SHortly after checking out the room we went to the front desk to complain, the front deskman looked like he had the complaint constantly and said he could move us to a room the next morning. We said that was fine and parted ways. Luckily we spent saturday night out of the room as long as possible, crawling back to bed at 5am.

THe next morning it was impossible to sleep, from 8am all we could hear was noise from the breakfast buffet, people walking back and forth , talking, toilet flushing, we may as well have been sleeping in the lounge- this would have at least not been sweltering hot. We coldnt leave the window open in the morning as it meant people going to the toilet could see staight into our room. How lovely for 2 girls staying on their own. We tried to sleep though it and managed to get an hour or so after it settled down about 11am. However luckily we left the key in the door that night, as about 12,30pm the male cleaner for the room knocked on the door. We were t given any information about when we could change rooms, and we not told to be out of the room by 11am- which is what we were supposed to do. So the cleaner knocks on the door at 12.30pm and wants to come in, fair enough, we call out that we will be 10 minutes, and he laughs and says "no, clean now" and proceedws to try and get inside the room!!! meanwhile seeing as the room was hot we had been sleeping in barely any clothing so were scrambling around to get dressed whilst this cleaner tries to force himself in the room! I grab a tshirt and poke my head out of the door and explain we werent told a time to leave and we need some time, he allows us 5 minutes. After a very hurried rush to get all our stuff together and clothed in 5 minutes we go out to reception, looking like the hung over, tired, and sweaty messes we were, and were told that the room we're being moved into isnt even going to be ready for another hour!

We go out to get breakfast feeling rotten, dirty and horrid. Hoping and praying that the next room they give us isnt as bad. An hour later we returned and got room 44- which is up 5 flights of dangerously narrow steep steps. HOwever the room is pretty much the same layout execpt its light with 2 windows that open all the way, a nice view of the red light distric- our toilet had a funny smell and the door didnt lock very well- oh and the light by my bed didnt work- but compared to before this was luxury! SO it only took one night of hell, to get a half decent room the next night. Not great, but at least its a funny story. I wouldnt have been as bothered, but we forked out a lot of money, to stay at a substandard place. next time im getting an apartment.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
NYC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2009

I had to book a hostel very last minute in the summer, no easy task. Heart of Amsterdam was available and in a good location. Located at the very bottom of the Red Light District, it was both close to Central station and to my friend's accommodations further south. It may be in the RLD but it is only a half-block in from the south, so you don't have to walk through the whole thing if you're coming from that direction (which I almost always was). Walking in that area as a female, I was a bit nervous not knowing what to expect but I didn't run into any problems the 5 nights I stayed there.

The woman at the front desk was not the most pleasing person but the other desk workers seemed to be OK. The custodian was very pleasant, helpful and came to clean the room, bathroom and replace our towels every morning.

I stayed in room 12, a 6 person room on the second floor (or first if you're European). There were bunk beds with secure lockers adjacent. The lockers were about a foot wide, so a decent sized backpack will not fit. I used it mostly to lock up my passport and anything valuable. You have to give a 10 Euro deposit to get the locker key and they give you a receipt for this. Don't lose the receipt or you will not get your money back. The room was a little toasty but I'm usually fine with heat so I was OK. If it was anything over 80F, it may be a little uncomfortable. It would have been nicer if the window was able to be propped up on its own but we had to use random objects to keep it open.

The beds were a little stiff but not too bad and the pillows could probably be changed. A roommate complained about her eyes being puffy and I noticed that myself later in the week. There may have been something brewing in those fibers. The sheets were changed before a new person checked in.

The bathroom was small but attached to the room so we didn't have to share with the rest of the hostel. The water pressure was good so that was a nice surprise. The only downside was the drain did not clear as fast as the water came out. I can take somewhat long showers and it didn't overflow so it never became a huge issue.

The front of the hotel has two seating areas and two laptops on a ledge that you can stand and use. I would have preferred free wifi but this worked just fine. They serve breakfast from 7-10AM which consisted of a few types of bread, meats and cheeses, Nutella and other spreads, hard-boiled eggs (I think) and coffee and tea. I only made it to breakfast twice and made a sandwich which wasn't bad. There is also a vending machine down the hall which has some snacks and drinks but I did not indulge because even a soda was 2 Euro.

Overall I enjoyed my stay at the hostel. However, I might try and find something better the next time I go. Two of my friends got a nice hotel for the same price by lowballing on Priceline.com. Two other friends got a 2 bed private apartment with shared bathroom, also for the same price. But if similar options are not available to you, Heart of Amsterdam was more central than those and not a bad deal.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2009

I stayed here my senior year of high school and was prepared to party. You have to realize you are smack dab in the middle of the red light district. There are prostitutes in windows right across the street and drug dealers trying to sell you who knows what. Over all our stay was OK we booked a room with two beds. we made friends with the men who ran the place and where very helpful giving us tips on which parts of town to avoid etc etc.. this place may not bet great but it isn't horrible. i stayed here a few weeks later in a shared room and didn't enjoy my experience as much. downstairs they have a vending machine and a television.

If you want to stay in the red light district your options are very limited. my next trip i stayed at the bulldog.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled with friends
Shazviv
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2009

Initially I was a little nervous about staying here considering its location and some unpleasant reviews that I had read, but any doubts were gone after the first day!! All the bad reviews seem to be from before they renovated! We arrived at 11 in the morning thinking that we would have to leave our luggage in the luggage room and wander around before we could check-in as it said 2 o clock online. However when we arrived the room was ready so we paid and went straight up. The room was clean, very warm (I would advise the person that slept near the radiator like myself to leave the window open slightly it is roasting!) as was the bathroom with fresh towels every day and they clean it too unless you ask them otherwise.
The staff are helpful and very quiet, they are polite but don't suck up to you like they do in some places. They tell you on arrival that you can smoke in your room with the window open, which we didn't do but it was nice to have the choice. The breakfast starts at 7am and goes on till 10, we never made it to it but other guests complimented it to us.
The reception is 24 hour but they tend to close the outer door after 4 in the morning but they open it when they see people outside, which led tomuch panic as they do also turn off the reception lights so it does look like your locked out!.
We were on the top floor and had little disturbance from noise which was good and the other guests couldn't really be heard from their rooms either so it was good if you need peace to sleep!
As people have to check out for 11 the showers in the morning around that time lack hot water so if you can help it wait till after 11 or you could get a cold one! But otherwise it is hot for the rest of the day! The TV is good it has english news sites, bbc channels, music channels and then french and dutch channels also, roughly thirty. Each bed has its own light, plug and storage area,(they have safes next to each bed which require some kind of key didn't use them but they looked really trustworthy) reception have adaptors but they don't seem to have any for Ireland or the UK, but you can get one in one of the stores in the street around the corner from the Hemp Museum which is a few doors from the hotel for about 4-5 euro!
They also have laptops with internet access at reception which is usually busy in the morning and later at night the middle of the day seems to be a good time to use it!
Hope that this is helpful!! I would definitely reccommend it to my friends who were visiting!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
Oslo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2009

"The Heart Of Amsterdam" was my worst hotel experience EVER! The "hotel" is situated smack down in the MIDDLE of the most disgusting part of the red-light-district. The Van Gogh museum is a good 40-minute walk from the "hotel." We booked a room with a twin bed and the price was 130 euros a night. We requested a non-smoking, quiet room, with a double bed. When we arrived at the "hotel" after the long journey from Scandinavia, we just wanted to get settled in. The manager, Mr. Ali Aleshi, who was present, made sure to debit my Visa account for the full four days, right there and then, for a total of 520 euros. Is it possible, I asked, to pay only for the first night? The answer was no, we have to run your card now, it's policy, and so he did, and gave us the key to Room 5. Room 5 was situated on the ground floor in the backyard, which was filled with big blue litter bags. The "room" had three separate beds, which completely filled the room. It resembled a cooling storage for meat. The shower was a cabinet in a closet, and to get to the toilet, you had to ease your way through this. We complained immediately, and got room 41 on the top floor. Mr. Aleshi excused this inconvenience by saying "Oh, we're renovating." Room 41 was situated in the attic, with three separate beds also cramming up all the space. The other furniture was narrowed down to a folding chair. And now to the gory details: the sheets were torn, the mattresses were concave like sarcophaguses and stained, the towels were dirty (and one had the dirty imprint of a large shoe), there were no closets, no coat hangers, no place to put luggage, no glasses in the bathroom, and the stairway leading up to this "130 euro a night room" smelled of vomit. We decided to endure this place for one night, and ask for a refund. A night filled with yells and drunken laughter from the "quiet" backyard was soon to unfold. The next morning we asked the clerk for a refund of the remaining 390 euro, but he couldn't do anything. Breakfast: the bread was ready-cut and still in plastic bags, the only thing that came sort of close to sanitary conditions. The guy that put the salami and cheese onto serving plates did this while holding a cigarette butt. So, we ditched the breakfast. After some hours we went back, and I asked for the manager, Mr. Aleshi, again. He still wasn't in. They "tried" to call him but no answer. We couldn't even get his number to try calling him ourselves We asked for him several times that day. I called the HRS main-office in Cologne, but they were unable to make any claims on our behalf. So much for their "Business Traveler Award--2nd best Germany." So, we were forced to spend another night in this place, that now had become a like a prison. Another night filled with yelling, deranged laughter and something that sounded like a gangbang of farmyard animals from the backyard, and the neighboring rooms. The next morning. We tried to reach the manager, and were told to come later. In the afternoon, we came back. No manager. No message. No nothing. Just the haunting feeling of being screwed. So I called the HRS and demanded them to take action. While on the phone with HRS they called up the manager, Mr. Aleshi, and put me on hold. After five minutes they got back to me and told me that Mr. Aleshi had said that since this was a Sunday, it would be difficult to get cash for a refund because some cash-service operation was closed, so we would have to wait another day. But, we didn't. We checked out that afternoon, and checked into another hotel. After my first noiseless and relaxed night in Amsterdam, I strolled down to the red-light to get my refund from "The Heart Of Amsterdam" And there he was! Mr. Aleshi--the manager I hadn't seen since the time of our arrival. He was handling bundles of cash from the reception, and coins from the vending-machine. I was told to sit down and wait. After fifteen minutes, I was granted some of his precious time, only to find out that he had no plans whatsoever to give me a refund. The banks were open, he had cash--but he didn't have any consideration for "the customer is always right." He had deliberately bamboozled both me and the HRS. In other words; the money were gone, into Mr. Aleshi's deep pockets. I would strongly recommend that if you are planning to go to the wonderful city of Amsterdam, don't be as gullible as I and trust the quality measures of the HRS. Don't ever set foot in "The Heart of Amsterdam" unless you are on a mission to clog the flow of cash that keeps this "heart" beating.

• Liked — Checking out
  • Disliked — Checking in
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
west yorkshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2009

I went with my wife to this hotel in early january 2009. We only stayed for one night and used the place just simply for somewhere to get our heads down for a few hours. It's location is smack bang in the middle of the red light area with sex clubs and window prostitutes literally on the doorstep.great for those who go simply to indulge in the carnal pleasures of amsterdam!
The hotel is basic with a capital B but it is clean if shabilly decorated. The shower was good and the room was spacious enough. Didn't try the buffet continental breakfast but can't imagine it would be much because there isn't a dining room.
This hotel would be ok for the lads on a short stag do but thats about it!!
Amsterdam itself and this area in particular is full of shady, seedy and sad characters and the dutch people come across as being unfriendly rip off merchants particularly in the pubs and clubs.
I personally would never go back here and I can see why so many who do live here need to be out of there heads on drugs. I saw many a sad sight in the bars and coffee houses where young men and women were totally out of it all day long.
Many establishments adopt a no smoking policy even the coffee shops but some of these will allow you to smoke if you are smoking just marijuana although the odd one will allow you to smoke a normal cigarette! Totally ridiculous!
There are much better places to go than amsterdam in europe and I for one think the attitude of the people currently involved in catering for the tourists in Amsterdam will eventually be responsible for its demise as a tourist destination!

• Liked — The shower
  • Disliked — The decor
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Barcelona, Spain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2008

We're just back from 4 nights in this hostel, and the experience was overall very positive: great location on the heart of the redlight district (between sex shops, marijuana museum, and video shops) althought being two girls alone we always felt safe. We also appreciated the breakfast, the thematization of the rooms, the lockers in the room (with a 10euros deposit... don't loose the paper!), the computer available in reception with free internet connection, and the cleaness (they change towels everyday, and seem to vacuum the room everyday.. not moping). We had an ensuite (room with bathroom inside) and therefore the private bathroom was clean (i have no idea how are the shared bathrooms). Our room was mixed, and we shared it only with guys, but it didn't make a problem to us.
The only bad point i have to comment, is that the morning before our checkin they charge 48euros on my credit card: i had no notification of this when i booked, and no proof (receipt) of it. Staff just told me not to worry, that they didn't charged the money (althought in my credit card account it appears as a charge) that it's just a deposit, and i will have it back in 10 working days... so I checkout before having it back, we'll see. The staff was just ok, but couldnt give me more explanations than that on this matter.
Overall the experience was very good, i would recommend it, and go back there.

• Liked — the lockers in the room, the location and thematization
  • Disliked — the 48euros they charged me as a deposit, with no notice about it nor receipt. should have it back in 10 working days
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)