“Whenever I return to Amsterdam I will be staying here!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Heart of Amsterdam

You added Heart of Amsterdam to your Saves list
Heart of Amsterdam
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   Oudezijds Achterburgwal 118/120, 1012 DT Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Red Light District)   |
Ranked #90 of 176 Specialty Lodging in Amsterdam
Shazviv
“Whenever I return to Amsterdam I will be staying here!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2009

Initially I was a little nervous about staying here considering its location and some unpleasant reviews that I had read, but any doubts were gone after the first day!! All the bad reviews seem to be from before they renovated! We arrived at 11 in the morning thinking that we would have to leave our luggage in the luggage room and wander around before we could check-in as it said 2 o clock online. However when we arrived the room was ready so we paid and went straight up. The room was clean, very warm (I would advise the person that slept near the radiator like myself to leave the window open slightly it is roasting!) as was the bathroom with fresh towels every day and they clean it too unless you ask them otherwise.
The staff are helpful and very quiet, they are polite but don't suck up to you like they do in some places. They tell you on arrival that you can smoke in your room with the window open, which we didn't do but it was nice to have the choice. The breakfast starts at 7am and goes on till 10, we never made it to it but other guests complimented it to us.
The reception is 24 hour but they tend to close the outer door after 4 in the morning but they open it when they see people outside, which led tomuch panic as they do also turn off the reception lights so it does look like your locked out!.
We were on the top floor and had little disturbance from noise which was good and the other guests couldn't really be heard from their rooms either so it was good if you need peace to sleep!
As people have to check out for 11 the showers in the morning around that time lack hot water so if you can help it wait till after 11 or you could get a cold one! But otherwise it is hot for the rest of the day! The TV is good it has english news sites, bbc channels, music channels and then french and dutch channels also, roughly thirty. Each bed has its own light, plug and storage area,(they have safes next to each bed which require some kind of key didn't use them but they looked really trustworthy) reception have adaptors but they don't seem to have any for Ireland or the UK, but you can get one in one of the stores in the street around the corner from the Hemp Museum which is a few doors from the hotel for about 4-5 euro!
They also have laptops with internet access at reception which is usually busy in the morning and later at night the middle of the day seems to be a good time to use it!
Hope that this is helpful!! I would definitely reccommend it to my friends who were visiting!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Oslo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2009

"The Heart Of Amsterdam" was my worst hotel experience EVER! The "hotel" is situated smack down in the MIDDLE of the most disgusting part of the red-light-district. The Van Gogh museum is a good 40-minute walk from the "hotel." We booked a room with a twin bed and the price was 130 euros a night. We requested a non-smoking, quiet room, with a double bed. When we arrived at the "hotel" after the long journey from Scandinavia, we just wanted to get settled in. The manager, Mr. Ali Aleshi, who was present, made sure to debit my Visa account for the full four days, right there and then, for a total of 520 euros. Is it possible, I asked, to pay only for the first night? The answer was no, we have to run your card now, it's policy, and so he did, and gave us the key to Room 5. Room 5 was situated on the ground floor in the backyard, which was filled with big blue litter bags. The "room" had three separate beds, which completely filled the room. It resembled a cooling storage for meat. The shower was a cabinet in a closet, and to get to the toilet, you had to ease your way through this. We complained immediately, and got room 41 on the top floor. Mr. Aleshi excused this inconvenience by saying "Oh, we're renovating." Room 41 was situated in the attic, with three separate beds also cramming up all the space. The other furniture was narrowed down to a folding chair. And now to the gory details: the sheets were torn, the mattresses were concave like sarcophaguses and stained, the towels were dirty (and one had the dirty imprint of a large shoe), there were no closets, no coat hangers, no place to put luggage, no glasses in the bathroom, and the stairway leading up to this "130 euro a night room" smelled of vomit. We decided to endure this place for one night, and ask for a refund. A night filled with yells and drunken laughter from the "quiet" backyard was soon to unfold. The next morning we asked the clerk for a refund of the remaining 390 euro, but he couldn't do anything. Breakfast: the bread was ready-cut and still in plastic bags, the only thing that came sort of close to sanitary conditions. The guy that put the salami and cheese onto serving plates did this while holding a cigarette butt. So, we ditched the breakfast. After some hours we went back, and I asked for the manager, Mr. Aleshi, again. He still wasn't in. They "tried" to call him but no answer. We couldn't even get his number to try calling him ourselves We asked for him several times that day. I called the HRS main-office in Cologne, but they were unable to make any claims on our behalf. So much for their "Business Traveler Award--2nd best Germany." So, we were forced to spend another night in this place, that now had become a like a prison. Another night filled with yelling, deranged laughter and something that sounded like a gangbang of farmyard animals from the backyard, and the neighboring rooms. The next morning. We tried to reach the manager, and were told to come later. In the afternoon, we came back. No manager. No message. No nothing. Just the haunting feeling of being screwed. So I called the HRS and demanded them to take action. While on the phone with HRS they called up the manager, Mr. Aleshi, and put me on hold. After five minutes they got back to me and told me that Mr. Aleshi had said that since this was a Sunday, it would be difficult to get cash for a refund because some cash-service operation was closed, so we would have to wait another day. But, we didn't. We checked out that afternoon, and checked into another hotel. After my first noiseless and relaxed night in Amsterdam, I strolled down to the red-light to get my refund from "The Heart Of Amsterdam" And there he was! Mr. Aleshi--the manager I hadn't seen since the time of our arrival. He was handling bundles of cash from the reception, and coins from the vending-machine. I was told to sit down and wait. After fifteen minutes, I was granted some of his precious time, only to find out that he had no plans whatsoever to give me a refund. The banks were open, he had cash--but he didn't have any consideration for "the customer is always right." He had deliberately bamboozled both me and the HRS. In other words; the money were gone, into Mr. Aleshi's deep pockets. I would strongly recommend that if you are planning to go to the wonderful city of Amsterdam, don't be as gullible as I and trust the quality measures of the HRS. Don't ever set foot in "The Heart of Amsterdam" unless you are on a mission to clog the flow of cash that keeps this "heart" beating.

• Liked — Checking out
  • Disliked — Checking in
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
west yorkshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2009

I went with my wife to this hotel in early january 2009. We only stayed for one night and used the place just simply for somewhere to get our heads down for a few hours. It's location is smack bang in the middle of the red light area with sex clubs and window prostitutes literally on the doorstep.great for those who go simply to indulge in the carnal pleasures of amsterdam!
The hotel is basic with a capital B but it is clean if shabilly decorated. The shower was good and the room was spacious enough. Didn't try the buffet continental breakfast but can't imagine it would be much because there isn't a dining room.
This hotel would be ok for the lads on a short stag do but thats about it!!
Amsterdam itself and this area in particular is full of shady, seedy and sad characters and the dutch people come across as being unfriendly rip off merchants particularly in the pubs and clubs.
I personally would never go back here and I can see why so many who do live here need to be out of there heads on drugs. I saw many a sad sight in the bars and coffee houses where young men and women were totally out of it all day long.
Many establishments adopt a no smoking policy even the coffee shops but some of these will allow you to smoke if you are smoking just marijuana although the odd one will allow you to smoke a normal cigarette! Totally ridiculous!
There are much better places to go than amsterdam in europe and I for one think the attitude of the people currently involved in catering for the tourists in Amsterdam will eventually be responsible for its demise as a tourist destination!

• Liked — The shower
  • Disliked — The decor
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Barcelona, Spain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2008

We're just back from 4 nights in this hostel, and the experience was overall very positive: great location on the heart of the redlight district (between sex shops, marijuana museum, and video shops) althought being two girls alone we always felt safe. We also appreciated the breakfast, the thematization of the rooms, the lockers in the room (with a 10euros deposit... don't loose the paper!), the computer available in reception with free internet connection, and the cleaness (they change towels everyday, and seem to vacuum the room everyday.. not moping). We had an ensuite (room with bathroom inside) and therefore the private bathroom was clean (i have no idea how are the shared bathrooms). Our room was mixed, and we shared it only with guys, but it didn't make a problem to us.
The only bad point i have to comment, is that the morning before our checkin they charge 48euros on my credit card: i had no notification of this when i booked, and no proof (receipt) of it. Staff just told me not to worry, that they didn't charged the money (althought in my credit card account it appears as a charge) that it's just a deposit, and i will have it back in 10 working days... so I checkout before having it back, we'll see. The staff was just ok, but couldnt give me more explanations than that on this matter.
Overall the experience was very good, i would recommend it, and go back there.

• Liked — the lockers in the room, the location and thematization
  • Disliked — the 48euros they charged me as a deposit, with no notice about it nor receipt. should have it back in 10 working days
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2008

If one's done enough research will know that Heart Of Amsterdam is really a "hostel". As a frequent traveler who travels easily 30+ times/year. This is my very first time setting foot in a hostel... ALONE (I am a female). Not expecting much, the place is very neat and tidy, and newly renovated, quite decent for first impression. (For people who did not feel the same, perhaps u went there when it wasn't renovated yet?) Staff were neutral, but always polite and helpful. Walking into the room, VERY clean & neat, a bit dim due to the design, but everything's in place where they should be (after all it IS just a hostel!) The set up of the dorm room was spacious yet cozy, with a couch and flat screen TV. Shower maybe be a bit clogged, but that's not the end of the world. Breakfast is alright, but rooms are cleaned and made EVERYDAY!! For someone who's used to staying at nice hotels, this was really something unexpected. It IS located in the Red Light District, very convenient, and very safe. Fitted for a slightly more mature group, I'd say in the 20s, who'd like to take in the culture, enjoy the life of Amsterdam, just chill, without the crazy kids/teens running around. There's also free internet that you can use anytime. I do HIGHLY RECOMMEND this place for anyone who's looking to stay at a hostel. I regret having to move to another more famous one around the block after just staying 2nights. I would DEFINITELY go back if i visit Amsterdam again!!

• Liked — Clean & Tidy, beds made everyday, great location, great price
  • Disliked — not the end of the world, but clogging shower
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Bolton
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2008

I really dont think there is a word to descide how much of a [----]this place is. Everything about the place is a joke: broken windows, dirty smelly rooms, [----] filled toilets and shower area shared between 12 or more people. by all means go for it if you want to stay there but you'll be lucky to come out alive it is that bad believe me!

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — paddling in through the piss in a morning to reach the shower area
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2008

We wanted to saty somewhere central in Amsterdam, and this hotel seemed to fit the bill. It is located centrally on a canal, but when we got there we discovered it was also in the heart of the red light district. It is an old traditional building that has been renovated. his means it has the old steep stairs, which you expect in Amsterdam. You don't expect the entire decor to be in black. Our double room ended up being a triple, which consisted of 3 single beds all with extremely ugly (you guessed it, black) safe type units next tot he bed. Basically it was a dormitory room. Fine for stag weekends, but not for couples. This hotel, similarly to most in Amsterdam does not reflect good value for money. On the plus side, it was very clean and the staff were helpful. They just need to redecorate and make it clear how close they are to the red light district.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Heart of Amsterdam? Share your experiences!