“Pffft” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Heart of Amsterdam

Save Saved
You added Heart of Amsterdam to your Saves list
Heart of Amsterdam
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   Oudezijds Achterburgwal 118/120, 1012 DT Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Red Light District)   |
Ranked #85 of 173 Specialty lodging in Amsterdam
“Pffft”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

Absolutely crap rat poison under my bed
Bathrooms a mess paper thin walls untidy linen
Terrible house brekky.

Stay as a whole was appalling.

Better off sleepimg with one of the red light district women

Stayed March 2014, traveled solo

252 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

Nice little hostel. Clean and good service. Only issue was we went during summer, the room is painted black and I slept terribly. No air conditioning cant remember any fans, it didn't work if there were. Great location.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
St. Davids, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014 via mobile

My partner and I had a private room with en suite, room number 1. Only steps we encountered were the ones entering the hostel. It was everything we needed for a 3 day stay. Clean and fully functioning with TV and shower. Little noisy at night with other hostellers but that's what you expect when on holiday in Amsterdam! Reception staff very helpful with regard to local attractions and taxis after getting ripped off at the airport on the way to the hostel we decided to trust them organising us a taxi on the way back, which they did for half the price (with a very professional gentleman taxi driver). We had a locker I'm the room for our more valuable goods which we had our own key for, making it feel a little more secure. As previous reviews mention it is a hostel and it is in red light, but that's what we wanted and loved every second we spent there.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2014

I recently staying in this hostel for a mid-week stay from a Monday to a Thursday. I have to say I wasn't really expecting much considering how much we had paid and the location, but I was pleasantly surprised.

The hostel is located basically very near the centre of the red light district, which worried us a little at the beginning considering we were all female but the area around the hostel was safe, clean and very well lit. The hostel itself looks a bit dingy from the outside but inside it is spotless with an airy and clean lobby and small seating area. Downstairs is a small breakfast room, we didn't avail of the breakfast so I can't comment on that.

Our room was the clockwork orange room and I loved it. The only downside to it was that it was very poorly lit. I think this may have been to enhance its atmosphere but to be honest it could have done with brighter lighting as it was difficult to see at night. The lockers provided were excellent, safe and you get your deposit back if you return the key. Towels and toiletries are provided daily. And the bathroom is spotless.

Would definitely recommend as a play to stay, male or female. It's not too expensive and it's very central. Dam Square isn't even a five minute walk away. Pub crawls and walking tours start from here. It's location on a canal means that canal tours are also accessible.

They also have free wifi.

Overall I'd give it a 4.5 out of 5. My only issue was the lighting.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Pretoria, South Africa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

This establishment makes use of hotel touts which look for travelers from amongst other places, Centraal Station. Once they have offered their assistance, they take you to various hotels, obviously for a fee. This hotel offered me a room, at quite a hefty price. After paying, I was taken downstairs to a basement where I had to share the basement with about 10 other people. When I complained, I was told that the other rooms upstairs are more expensive. I was also told that I should guard my personal belongings as theft is quite common. Needless to say, I did not stay the night. This place will not see me again. It is also not a hotel, but a hostel at best. To be fair though, they do serve a good breakfast. The selection below does not allow all dates. I travelled there in 2002.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

The location of the hostel is amazing, completely in the middle of everything and only a few minutes walk from Dam square. I went with a group of 6 friends, all 18 and we got the six person private room with our own bathroom. The rooms were clean, fresh sheets and new towels each day. The breakfast in the morning was free and was just enough, with a selection of bread and condiments. Our bedroom was right at the front of the hotel and never had an issue with noise and the staff were very helpful. The value for money is excellent and I highly recommend it to any tourist, especially groups of friends.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
St Helens, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2014

I would recommend this place for its location and price. Right in the centre you are in the middle of the red light district and only a short walk from Damrak and Centrum.

I found this hostel to be a tad heavy on the street noise, the 8-bed dorm I stayed in was at the bottom with doors leading onto the main street. There was an international football match in town so maybe this was an exception.

The staff were friendly, the guests seemed fine and despite some minor construction work in progress, the hostel was generally clean and in good condition.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Heart of Amsterdam? Share your experiences!