“Friendly, good location” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Heart of Amsterdam

You added Heart of Amsterdam to your Saves list
Heart of Amsterdam
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   Oudezijds Achterburgwal 118/120, 1012 DT Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Red Light District)   |
Ranked #91 of 176 Specialty Lodging in Amsterdam
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Friendly, good location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

The staff were helpful and the rooms good - especially the ensuite bathrooms. However, a visit from a mouse during my stay unfortunately put me off - otherwise it would have been 4/5*s. Bring some ear plugs as being right in the red light district was great as it was so central, but noisy during the weekend nights.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

I really did not enjoy being inside the Heart of Amsterdam hostel. Out of all the hostels I've stayed in it stood out as one with the darkest, quietest (in a bad way), most cramped-feeling rooms, least friendly service, and (no fault of theirs I know) least friendly roommates. I literally felt uncomfortable any time I was in the room, trying to be maneuver my bags in complete silence by the light of my personal bed light, and conversing in whispers with my traveling companion. I can't comment on the cleanliness of the room but it was kept dark enough that it felt dirty anyway. Without fail there was always someone asleep at the various times of day we stopped in. Luckily it DOES serve its purpose as merely a place to stop in, get a couple hours of sleep, and get the heck back out to all the sites of Amsterdam easily walkable from your room.

Pros: 1) Location(!!!), as long as the red light thing doesn't bother you, you really can walk out your door to dozens of bars etc, and minutes to Dam Square, Central Station and really in such a flat city, any site you want very easily. 2) There were 2 passably-clean bathrooms for our 8-bed dorm, so little to no wait time. 3) For Amsterdam, the price probably cannot be beat! 4) The breakfast was fine, I booked online and it was included, I would say worth it even if you do have to pay the 3 Euros, but maybe that's only if you steal a purse full of snacks like I do.

All in all not a "pleasant" experience but good for my purposes and good value for the money in a relatively expensive city.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

Went with the lads and had a great time. Hotel rooms are all themed on a movie. Makes for a fun atmosphere. Bathrooms were clean and modern. The only confusing thing on this place is that you book it online and pay for it when your there. They will not charge you twice. Also the location is just perfect!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Harrow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

I stayed here along with 3 others recently for my birthday. After reading the reviews, I was expecting it to be a nightmare, but in fact I was pleasantly surprised. For one, even though our online reservation stated 'bunkbeds', we had 4 single beds in our private room, plus an en-suite toilet and shower. One thing about our room however, which was right at the top on the 4th floor was it appeared to be very noisy at times. Maybe due to the fact that the cleaning room or attic was above us and we could hear every creak when somebody was there! This was only a problem for our first night, the other 2 nights it was fine.
Secondly, the free breakfast, although very limited, was an added bonus.

Thirdly, the location was pretty good. It is 5 mins walking distance to Dam Square and some coffee shops and good bars. However, the main clubbing strips such as 'Leidesplein' and 'Remembrandtplein' are not so close and do require a tram or taxi as they are about 20-30 mins walking distance. Saying that, taking a stroll to these places really give you a sense of what Amsterdam is about-architecture, the canals and the seemingly healthy lifestyle. Many residents opt for bicycles to get around, so always look both left and right when crossing or walking as even what appears to be pedestrian lanes turn out to be for motorcycles and bikes, we found this out when we nearly got ran over!! Furthermore, the location of the hostel is of course in the red light district, however, our street only had a number of windows and not like some of the other crowded streets further in. Although this would put some people off, I thought it added to the novelty of our stay. The fact that we were in the midst of 1 of the most famous districts in the world was pretty cool.
Overall, I would definitely stay here again next time I'm in Holland as the hostel itself is great value for money, we met some lovely fellow travellers, as well as the locals-they are very welcoming to tourists. However, if the hostel staff were a bit more pleasant and interactive rather than sitting at reception staring at a computer, this would ease new travellers woes a little more. Apart from this, a gem of a place!

Room Tip: Opt for a back room (not facing the street) as it is a bit quieter.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

perfect location within walking distance to station/bars/restaurants/coffee shops...everything!!!

Clean rooms and bathroom, not too big, just perfect...good buffet breakfast (coffee, juices, cold meats, pastries etc etc) and very helpful staff! That's all we needed!!! Will definitely go back and would recommend

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Chiang Mai, Thailand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

The hostel itself was about middle of the road - neither super good nor super bad. The staff was pleasant and helpful and the facilities good though a bit worn. I stayed in an 8-man dorm which was basic but clean and had an ensuite bathroom which was modern and clean. Each pair of beds had a reading light and electrical outlet. If you need a good wifi connection, you will probably not get it here. It is not in the rooms at all and is spotty in the reception area.

For the price, the hostel was good.

The immediate neighborhood was interesting though in many ways a caricature of its past. It doesn't take long to get over the novelty of skimpily clad women in windows framed in red lights. Luckily there are more delightful sights outside the neighborhood that are within an easy walk.

Overall, I would have ho problem with staying there again.

Room Tip: Noise was not a problem but I would ask for a back room.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Panama City, Panama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

The thing with reviews is that sometimes you review one type of lodging as if you were staying in a five star luxury hotel. This is a hostel, not a hotel. Not even a motel.

This is a place where young people come and stay in groups or with random strangers and make new friends. You won't have valet parking or a concierge desk. There won't be elevators or wine tastings at 5 p.m.

Most of the guests are young people from around the world that are looking for a cheap stay in the middle of the action.

This was my first experience in a "backpacker" hostel and I absolutely loved it! Our party was of 5 so we took a single room with 6 beds for ourselves. The room was simple but clean and comfortable. The bathroom had a good size and we had no problems with our scheduling to use it in the mornings.

We didn't do the breakfast thing, because there are many restaurants and cafes nearby, so that was never an issue.

There is free WiFi only in the lobby area. The location is amazing! You can walk to about anywhere in the Red Light District. The area was busy all day and all night, but it always felt safe.

If staying in an area like this is not your cup of tea, then don't. But it's not the hostel fault. It serves the purpose of those of us that want to enjoy Amsterdam's wicked and playful seduction.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Been to Heart of Amsterdam? Share your experiences!