“Our Stay at the Sunhead Apartment” 4 of 5 stars

Sunhead of 1617
Herengracht 152, 1016 BN Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Jordaan)   |
Ranked #8 of 306 Amsterdam B&B and Inns
LYON FRANCE
“Our Stay at the Sunhead Apartment”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2006

We really liked this apartment
The terrace in front of the canal was great
The beds were very comfortable.
The kitchen was fully equiped
It was also very quiet and clean.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2006

I have been to Amsterdam many times and have stayed in hotels and hostels for most of the time. This time I decided I wanted to stay in an apartment, to male me feel more "at home in Dam". I looked through the Internet and found the website Sunhead 1617, who had apartments near to the centre of town. From the website, the apartment looked lovely so I booked it and hoped for the best. When we got to Amsterdam, we got a taxi from the airport. Sunhead advised of a taxi number, which came very quickly and charges a lot less than normal taxi prices. So the taxi took us direct to our destination. The guys that run the apartments also run a bed and breakfast, this is where you have to go to collect the keys the apartment. The apartment I stayed at was about 6/7-min walk from the B&B, but we stayed in the taxi and got taken direct to where we needed to go. When we got to the apartment I was very, very surprised. The website pictures made the apartment look goo, but the apartment was actually nicer than on the website. Typical Amsterdam style there was a large flight of stairs to go up, but once we were up we were very happy. The apartment has 2 double bedrooms, shower, and toilet (separate). The upstairs is the front room, which is beautiful, it has loads of beams across the ceiling and is huge, and the kitchen was also upstairs. There is a mezzanine area, which didn’t seem to be in use, but altogether a beautiful apartment. I was MORE than happy to be there, not only was it very spacious, it was lovely looking and very clean. Where the apartments based is a very nice area, it seems to be quite a posh area, but not pretentious, it’s away from the tourist areas but still walking distance from the centre. I felt whilst I was there I was living around real Amsterdammer’s, not just tourists. There are lovely shops round the area too, with lots of different stuff and again nothing like the centre, lots of boutique type shops. Also lots of trendy bars! Which I loved. The apartment was fully equipped with everything we needed, towels, washing machine, hair dryer, kitchen stuff, TV, DVD, stereo...you name it, it was there. There was even a tub of Haagen Dazs ice cream in the freezer when we got there!! That went down a treat! Bad points well there are very few and they are not really bad point’s just observations. Amsterdam is very built up and close together, the time when I was there, they were building next door. I went on Thursday night so Friday morning I was woken up VERY early by builders noises, it also felt a little close for comfort as they walked past the windows and could see right inside our apartment. This wasn’t a problem for the rest of the weekend though, as they stopped work for the weekend. If you are reading this and worrying, the building work will probably be finished by the time you go as they were working on the roof when I was there. The other thing was that the owners only gave us 2 sets of keys, this proved to be a bit awkward at times, trying to sort out who was where when and what time was well annoying, considering my mobile had packed in and I was stoned most the time. We seemed to manage though. I think the owners should give out as many keys as guests staying, this would solve any problems. In the grand scheme of things though, they were not really problems. I would DEFINITELY stay at this apartment again and I would recommend it to anyone (unless you are unable to walk up stairs). But in terms of location, quality, value for money, cleanliness, atmosphere and anything else you can think of, I give this apartment a big thumbs up. I have also never written a review before, but I felt compelled to do it, as the place was so nice and I would want other people to know. I really felt at home there and did not want to leave when it was time to go!! I am sure if you visit here, you will not want to leave either. I think that shows the signs that the accommodation is good. Hopefully this review will have been of help.

Athens
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2006

I just spend 5 days in Amsterdam with my friends living in the Sunhead Apartment (the one in Wolvenstraat). If you ever dreamt to be somewhere and feeling like living like in your own home then it's a "MUST". This apartment has everything you ll need in a house and NONE hotel in the world can offer.
Very quiet - not suitable for throwing a party, next to everything you would like to see in Amsterdam.
Owners are extremely friendly and fun. Very easy to book. Great price.
We ll be back for sure! Great experience!

Stayed June 2006
Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2006

My husband and I stayed at the Sunhead of 1617 B&B during an unusually hot July weekend. As other reviewers have described, the Sunhead is located in a quiet neighborhood, facing the canal, only three minutes away from Anne Frank's house. Directly across the street are a couple of nice cafes, a convenience store and a tram stop. This is a lovely historic home with plenty of charm, including cathedral ceilings, and some original fixtures and paintings. The only disadvantages (albeit expected in a historic Amsterdam building) were the lack of A/C and the narrow staircases, with which we luckily didn't have to contend, as we stayed in the Salmon Room, on the first floor. Both the room and the private bathroom were large and tastefully decorated. We had a desk, flat-screen TV, in-room coffe and tea, and huge windows facing the canal. Our hosts, Carlos, Arno and Pinky, took excellent care of us -- in fact, one of the highlights of our stay was our breakfast chat with Carlos. He's a riot! Breakfast was delicious and plentiful, with fruit and yogurt parfaits, espresso/latte, eggs, fresh bread, cheese, bacon and various spreads.

In our opinion, the rate is well worth the personalized attention, peaceful surroundings and breakfast. We had a great, relaxing time away from all the touristy debauchery and would recommend the Sunhead to anyone looking for a romantic weekend in Amsterdam.

• Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
New Delhi, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2006

The apartment on Nieuwe Herengracht was simply great to stay in for the week I was there. It was bright, airy and had great views. The bed was super comfortable. The kitchen was well equipped. Will definitely stay there again.

Baltimore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2006

Carlos and Roelf made my wife and I feel completely at home during our stay at Sunhead. I booked a room for Friday and Saturday nights. When I realized that my flight would arrive at 7:00 am, they juggled our room to make sure we could get into it right away and sleep off the jetlag. The breakfast that Carlos made was delicious, the location was perfect, and the highlight of our stay in Amsterdam was the boat tour that Roelf gave us. Carlos and Roelf are wonderful people and staying at Sunhead gave us the true Amsterdam experience we were hoping for.

• Stayed June 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2006

The 2-bedroom Noorderstraat apartment was perfect for giving us the feeling that we were actually living in Amsterdam for a while. The apartment was very spacious, clean, comfortable and beautifully decorated. For a family with two children, it was so much better than a hotel. There's a view of the quiet street out of the front windows and a beautiful courtyard below in the back. We would absolutely go back to this apartment. Highly recommended!

Been to Sunhead of 1617? Share your experiences!