“Perfect!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sunhead of 1617

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Sunhead of 1617
Herengracht 152, Amsterdam 1016 BN, The Netherlands (Jordaan)   |
Ranked #8 of 301 Amsterdam B&B and Inns
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Perfect!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

I chose Sunhead for my first visit to Amsterdam, based on previous TripAdvisor reviews. I wanted somewhere completely different to the normal 'corporate' hotels that I spent many years staying in, through my work. This was a 60th birthday present to myself and my wife and I wanted to mark it in a special way. Thanks to Carlos and Jan-Roelf, I can say without hesitation that we certainly did! This must surely be the number one destination for anyone seeking to escape the bland, faceless, magnolia served up by the hotel chains. If we could award it 10 stars, we would. It's that good. The room we stayed in oozed charm and unspoilt character. Carlos and Jan-Roelf made so much effort to make us feel at home, that by breakfast on our first morning, we really did feel at home. As for the breakfasts... divine! Kept us going all day. The location is perfect for sightseeing, with all the main attractions just a few minutes walk away. The highlight of our stay, was sailing past Sunhead on the canal boat tour, and seeing it from the water. Carlos and Jan-Roelf go out of their way to make your stay perfect, even going to the trouble and expense of pre-ordering Museum Cards for our arrival. We can't thank you both enough, thank you Carlos and Jan-Roelf for making my big 6-0 so memorable. Perfect!

Trevor and Jean, Southampton, UK

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

606 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
New Orleans, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

This charming "Canal House" has it all: gorgeous view of the canal, perfect location (we walked everywhere from here), very attentive hosts. Cozy and comfortable, showcasing its beautiful bones (love those attic rooms) and Carlos' artwork. The breakfasts are incomparable, featuring Carlos' latest/delicious creations (and coffee-master Roelf-Jan) and stimulating conversation...a great way to kick off the day! A central location to the nearby markets, coffee shops, Anne Frank House, museums, whatever calls to you...and to soak up the vibe that is Amsterdam. Once you stay here, you'll keep replaying the memories of your great time at Sunhead. And this will become your only place to stay on return trips, as it has for us.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

Can't fault this B&B .. Carlos' "delicious" breakfasts, truly are delicious and eclectic .. both Carlos and Roelf-Jan are so welcoming and both have effortless English .. the location has got to be the most beautiful in Amsterdam and we enjoyed every second of our stay,on one of the most autumnal weekends of the year. More coffee shops than you can shake a stick at and close enough to all important attractions .. looking out of your window to the sparkling canal below watching the world go by was breathtaking. The accommodation is quirky and beautifully furnished .. doing breakfast isn't Carlos' only talent - his murals and trompe d'oeil are beautiful additions to already beautiful accommodation.

Room Tip: only stayed in one room .. but I think they all have their attractions.
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

My daughter and I stayed here for three nights in July, and really, really loved the experience. Before arriving, I was a teeny bit anxious about schlepping our two substantial suitcases to the top floor via the steep, narrow stairs. However, as soon as we arrived, Roelf-Jan grabbed our bags and took them up for us! Score!! Thanks, Roelf-Jan!

By the time I booked, the only room available was the top-floor room in the back of the house. So, we had a room without a view, but we were perfectly okay with that. Our room was roomy enough for two, the bed was very comfortable, and the bedroom and bath were both in excellent condition and very clean. The fridge in the room was handy, and we felt the accommodation was comfortable and homey.

The location of the B&B in the Jordaan was excellent. An easy and pleasant walk to/from the Centraal train station, but if you have mobility issues or too much luggage, cabs are easy to find and only cost a few euros. The house is just a couple of blocks from the Anne Frank house, and an easy walk to most of Amsterdam's sights. We walked everywhere, and loved it.

The highlight of our visit to Sunhead has to be Carlos. He was very friendly and pleasant, and did I mention that he's hilarious to boot?! Great dry sense of humor. I have traveled fairly extensively and have stayed in scores of B&B, but---hands down---Carlos and Roelf-Jan's breakfasts were the best we've ever experienced. He puts real thought and love into what he prepares for his guests, and Roelf-Jan is an extremely capable barista. My daughter is a bit of a foodie, and she still mentions (four months later!) the breakfasts at Sunhead!

If we are lucky enough to return to Amsterdam soon, we will definitely do our best to book into Sunhead of 1617. Thank you again, Carlos and Roelf-Jan!

The only caveat I would offer is that if you are a traveler who has difficulty with stairs, this B&B may not work for you. The stairs are narrow and steep, and there is no lift. Otherwise, never hesitate to book your accommodation here!

Room Tip: Book well in advance if you have your heart set on a room with a view of the canal.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
New Orleans, LA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

Perfect location on the lovely Herengracht Canal. Convenient to museums, attractions, neighborhood markets and cafes. The rooms are impeccable and tastefully furnished and decorated (often with Carlos' impressive artistry!). The attic rooms are charming with exposed beams, warm colors and comfortable banquet seating. The canal facing Jonquil Room has beautiful windows opening to a wonderful view of Herengracht Canal and one of the many bridges of Amsterdam. Carlos and Roelf-Jan are superb hosts that in addition to sharing interesting (and colorful!) breakfast-time conversations with my friends and me, also provided insightful recommendations for museums, tours, neighborhood markets, etc. that made us feel like we were locals.

Now for the breakfasts..... phenomenal! Starting with a fruit smoothie with a touch of ginger and chile pepper for a refreshing start, then on to perfectly brewed coffee with Roelf-Jan's artful froth followed by your personally and individually prepared 5 star breakfast created by Carlos. The fresh mozzarella and tomato bruschetta with truffle and smoked fish and scrambled egg are memorable.

Sunhead 1617 felt like my temporary home while visiting Amsterdam and allowed me to totally escape reality and fully enjoy my vacation.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

We have just come back from 4 nights at the Sunhead and loved it. We visit Amsterdam every year and always stay somewhere different, but I think we may have found our 'go-to' accommodation. The room was gorgeous, full of character, very comfortable with lovely finishing touches. The location is brilliant and within walking distance of everything you need/want/love! I have to say though the thing that really sets this B&B apart is Carlos and his amazing breakasts and company. It was by far the best start to the morning we've had in Amsterdam, gorgeous food, fantastic company and lots of laughter also. We'll definitely be going back and would highly recommend this B&B to anyone wanting something more personal with a very tasty and stylish atmosphere.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

The rooms are spectacular, the breakfast is dreamyץ The rooms are very clean, tastefully decorated and the overall ambience is absolutely amazing. highly recommended!! Plus the location is very good! Close to the Dam Square and alot of tourist locations!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Sunhead of 1617? Share your experiences!