“Good location but small and not so clean” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hostel Cosmos Amsterdam

Save Saved
You added Hostel Cosmos Amsterdam to your Saves list
Hostel Cosmos Amsterdam
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   Frans Van Mierisstraat 69 a, 1071RL Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Formerly Janson Hostel) (Museumplein)   |
Ranked #121 of 174 Specialty Lodging in Amsterdam
“Good location but small and not so clean”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

Nice location but the room is so small and is only one toilet for everyone. Also there is a big escalator to go up to the rooms, and is very hard to get up with luggages. There is a cat which stays around all the time and that is not very clean.

• Stayed June 2013

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013 via mobile

This hostel has an amazing location which made my stay in Amsterdam one of the best experiences due to the factthat I was in the center of the city. I did have to deal with the following while staying at the cosmos:

1. A very cramped room with barely any room to move around. Luckily I had a bottom bunk which allowed me to store my stuff underneath my bed. If you're on the top bunk, good luck.

2. Absolutely no visitors. I tried bringing over two friends to my room while staying at Cosmos. Both times they had to wait for me in their "lobby" which is nothing but two couches awkwardly placed together right in front of the reception.

3. Ridiculous prices. I had to pay 20 euros a night during the weekdays and 40 euros a night during the weekend for sub par hostel service. You really are only paying for location, and the owners know this which allows them to overcharge for sub par service.

4. The worst part about staying in the Cosmos was the inhospitable staff. I had lost my wallet before arriving at the Cosmos, which made getting any extra cash difficult for me at the time. I still managed to shell out 80 euros for my three nights at the Cosmos and I had 11 euros left until my replacement debit card arrived the next day. I explained my situation to the staff and I asked if i could get a locker for free until I had the money to pay the 13 euros. so I needed to wait a day in order for my replacement visa to come in. They were okay with it at first, but each and every time I passed the reception they kept asking me for the money despite already explaining my situation to them. Their constant nagging became so much that I finally gave them the last 11 euros I had on me thinking this would make them leave me alone. Although I would be left with no money for food for the night, I was willing to starve just to stop their constant nagging. Unfortunately, I was still being pestered about the two euros I owed them every time I saw them despite being completely broke. The moment my replacement Visa came in, I was forced to walk to the nearest ATM in the middle of the night on a bad leg just to get them the 2 euros I owed them. Ive never been treated so badly by complete strangers my entire life.

So if you are thinking about staying here, please remember my experience. The hostel is located in a great area, but unfortunately the greedy owners know that and will disrespect you and give you terrible living conditions because of it.

• Stayed August 2013
Hostelcosmos A, General Manager at Hostel Cosmos Amsterdam, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Hi ALAN,

Thank you for the effort and review. For a key for the locker there is a deposit needed. Without a deposit it makes no sense. We were nice enough to wait for you and give a key without a deposit. We don't think many hostels do that. We ask you in a normal way to pay the amount at a certain time. You agreed and later act very childish by not greeting and walking fast to the room and avoiding staff. Also arguing about different things and bothering staff while helping other guests.

You did not like the hostel, but come back after check out to use our facilities and room you don't like? That is very strange. And want to enter the room without permission and get upset when we stop you, try to help and ask what you need.

We are sorry, but this time it is not us to blame but yourself. We did our best and other guests enjoyed while you only were looking to start problems.

We hope that you understand that we like to help our guests and welcome them in the best way. But please note that we love our work but also have a business to run and you should know that is not personal when we ask guests to pay for their stay and purchased items. Actually most guests understand this and have no problem, because you choose to buy something.

We wish you good luck with future travelling.

Kind regards,

Cosmos staff
Markham, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

I stayed at this hostel for three nights and had a great time. Other than being in a great location, the receptionists were all easy going, friendly and great to talk to (Adam, Habib, Muhammed, and Yessen).

I would like to give a special thanks especially to Yessen, since he went above and beyond for me during my stay. He helped me place an order for delivery the moment I told him I was looking for a good place to eat, and even stayed an extra half hour after the end of his shift to help listen to my personal problems.

These small things go a long way for people, especially for a tired traveller from another country. I will definately be staying at this hostel again next time I'm in Amsterdam.

Thank you Hostel Cosmos!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
São Caetano do Sul, São Paulo, Brazil
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

This hostel is very well located. Just a few minutes walk from the red light district, the dam square, the central station and, if you mind walking too much, it's close to a tram stop. There are very few outlets in the room and they are not so close to the bed, for me this was an issue because my cellphone batterie needs to be charged every night an couldn't do it. Bathrooms and toilets are clean and ok, I had no trouble waiting other people to use it, even though they only have one per floor.
In general, it's a good option but it's not the best hostel I've stayed.

• Stayed June 2013
Stafford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

My first time staying in a hostel and, well it was what I expected really.Costing £25.42 a night per person, it was a bit pricey for what you get but this was mostly due to our pretty late booking.

I stayed in a 10 bed dorm with 5 friends, we had no trouble with any of the other guests and we had a few chats.

There is a no smoking and no alcohol policy. And the last person to leave the dorm has to hand the key in at reception (so the key is shared between all 10 guests).

The room had a number of safes that were 1 euro per day with a 10 euro deposit on the key, they were pretty big and we managed with just one between us.

The hostel was in a very good central location with a coffee shop right opposite it (although said coffee shop looked intimidating for us first timers so we never went in that one).

There were 2 showers and 2 toilets (1 of each on each floor), these were clean and kept in good condition.

On the last night, the house cat had caught a mouse and took it into the hallway, we immediately closed the room door just in case it tried to come in. As we were all getting to sleep, the cat continued to meow outside the door for a good 30 minutes. This was the only negative point to a really good stay, but on the other hand I would rather the cat be catching mice than having them run wild through the hostel and our things!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Hostelcosmos A, General Manager at Hostel Cosmos Amsterdam, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your stay and being honest! You stayed the same period as the previous guest that had a bad experience. We are happy that you understand the situation better. It was so hot that all doors were open and Simba (our lovely cat) goes hunting and brings back a ''gift''.

Thank you for appreciating the cleaning;) We really do our best to keep the place tidy.

Kind regards,

Cosmos staff
Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

I had never stayed at a hostel before and was nervous booking one, but I was happy with Cosmos Hostel. I stayed in a mixed 6 bed room, it was pretty cheap compared to everything else in the area (perfect location!) as well as very clean, and the beds comfortable. The staff was nice to us, and very helpful. Simba the house cat is the most chill cat I've ever met, and I've met some pretty chill cats in my time. But anyway, no complaints here. The stairs were pretty steep but I think that's a Dutch thing

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Pelotas, RS
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

The room I was in had 8 beds and a bathroom, but it was very small. The kitchen is the same size of the bedroom. The coffee was good, had bread, peanut butter, jelly, tea and coffee.
The hotel is well-located, very close to the museums and the "I amsterdam" sign, but a little far from the city center. (you can go walking, is not very far. but in the end of the day, tired, you'll probably want to take the tram ou bus.)
It's easy to arrive from the airport, just take the bus 197, the stop is museumplain. You'll just have to walk 3 blocks.
The staff was very helpfull. The shower was good, but there was only one in my room.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Been to Hostel Cosmos Amsterdam? Share your experiences!