“Liars” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hostel Cosmos Amsterdam

Save Saved
You added Hostel Cosmos Amsterdam to your Saves list
Hostel Cosmos Amsterdam
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   Frans Van Mierisstraat 69 a, 1071RL Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Formerly Janson Hostel) (Museumplein)   |
Ranked #120 of 173 Specialty lodging in Amsterdam
parma
“Liars”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

They tried to stole our money from the credit card. basically they cancelled our reservation one day before (without telling us) because they tried to take all the amount from the credit card and not only the deposit (that they claimed they didn't have). At the end they gave us the deposit in cash before we called the police. STAY AWAY

Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

138 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Vancouver Island, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

This hostel is ideal if you're a budget traveler and you want a cheap place close to Museumsplatz. The other hostel I normally stay at was booked, and this place offered dirt cheap prices in the spring that were definitely hard to beat. The layout of the lounge is weird, and the beds are really noisy, so I wouldn't stay here for longer than a few days, but if you're in Amsterdam for one or two nights and want to save your pennies then it's not that bad of an option.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

This is, by far, the worst hostel I have ever stayed in. The place in tiny, dirty and the staff is unfriendly/rude. There is a no alcohol and no guests rule policy. Only 2 toilets and showers for the entire hostel. Just an awful experience. The hostel requires you to leave the key to your room at reception when the last person in the room leaves (which is a normal policy). However, when we returned to the hostel after dinner and drinks, the hostel staff claimed that we never turned the key into them and that we lost it. After arguing for about 10/15 minutes it turned out that the employee from an earlier shift had taken our key to go into our room to make himself tea and forgot to take the key out of his pocket before he left. Why he needed to enter our room to make himself tea is still a mystery to me and makes me feel uncomfortable. I would never ever think about staying here again. My recommendation to anyone looking for affordable accommodation in Amsterdam is to keep looking.

Room Tip: Don't stay at Hostel Cosmos
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Hostelcosmos A, Manager at Hostel Cosmos Amsterdam, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for stay! We are sorry that you feel this way. Nothing bad really happened and the dorms are being used by different persons. That is why we have lockers, cameras and 24 reception. We also helped you guys out with your bookings. You changed your booking more than 3 times before arriving.

Kind regards,

Cosmos staff
Treforest, null, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

Just stayed here for 3 nights in a 4 bed private room. Couldn't ask for more other hostels in the area charge about 15 euros more a night than the rate we paid its right in the center of town cutting money on trams and stuff to its also a stones throw from the center of the red light district and dam square. The rooms are slightly tight but for 15 euros a night you really can't complain the stairs are steep but manageable and the staff couldn't be more helpful they told us all the great spots near by and answered any questions we had. You can rent a locker for 1 euro a day and they sell snacks and stuff at the front desk there is also a computer and printer that you can hire for 1 euro for half an hour. Also Simba the hostel cat is friendly and just chills in the common area. SIMBA RULES!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Frankfurt (Oder), Germany
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

The hostel is not clean! We have been there 5 days and our room was not cleand once.
In the morning, when a lot of peolpe want to go to the shower, it seemed that there is not enough water.. When I was in the shower the water stopped totally for a while. in the winter it is very cold in the showers because the windows/doors are very old. Also there is no electrical outlet in the bathroom.
You have breakfast. That is cool, because it is for free, but it is just toast, butter, peanut butter and jam. Its not much, but its ok.
There is no kitchen. So you can't cook!!! I already have been to a lot of hostels.. but this is the first one with no kitchen!
I wouldn't go there againe!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
N/LAND
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Recently stopped at the Cosmos. The place fitted my purpose very well for my recent visit, however this is not a place I would stop again. I need more comfort and I will pay extra next time. This place is great if you want a clean bed.
I stopped in a 9 bed room, there was not space to hang clothes, or to store luggage securely. Leaving my bag on my bed for 18-20 hours, relying on the good faith that the people stopping in the same room are decent people. That being said, no visitor's in the building at all, 24 hour reception so your luggage should be safe.
The bed was good, slept well. The shower and toilet was not a pleasant experience, take flip flops into the shower! The splash back from the toilet hit my legs so much I wanted to sit down to pee, then I realised I would be sitting in other people's splash back....not nice. (change the toilet) Girls be warned
In all, great place if you want a bed to sleep and a shower to shave. Great value for money.
The reception staff were very polite and easy going.

Room Tip: Do plenty of research, there's some really functional hostel's that cost a little more, but...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Firstly, 10/10 for location. It is close to all the amenities you could want. The coffee shop across the way is quite unfriendly though, avoid! :p

We stayed in a private room which was spacious enough with space to hang your stuff. There was also a sink in the room, which was handy enough so you did not have to go to the bathroom every morning to scrub up. The bathroom and shower room on the first floor was literally in the reception which is awful because you have to skimp across in your towel or else you will have people knocking telling you to hurry up if you take to long getting dressed. The TV in the room didn't work at all.

Yeah, the stairs is steep, but it isn't going to single handedly ruin your holiday...lots of stairs in Amsterdam are like that....embrace it.

I liked the cat in reception....he is quiet and it isn't like he pesters for attention..he minds his own business. I was able to print off my return flight tickets in reception and the people were very friendly like that. We got a map on arrival and we could ask them any questions we wanted and they answered to the best of their abilities, or at least pointed us in the right direction. It was a bit weird that there were always 3 or four men hanging around the reception though. The receptionists were obviously all friends or something, but they were always just sitting across the couches or standing there and then as anyone walked past you could see them judging who's eyes were red and whose were not. Not a major issue, but a bit unprofessional and slightly intimidating.

All in all, grand place to stay and value for money if it is Amsterdam itself you and to see and not stay stuck inside, but it is fairly dated looking and I can only speak from the point of view of a private room... I never saw the dorms.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hostel Cosmos Amsterdam? Share your experiences!