“Great time at Janson” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hostel Cosmos Amsterdam

You added Hostel Cosmos Amsterdam to your Saves list
Hostel Cosmos Amsterdam
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   Frans Van Mierisstraat 69 a, 1071RL Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Formerly Janson Hostel) (Museumplein)   |
Ranked #127 of 190 Specialty Lodging in Amsterdam
London, United Kingdom
“Great time at Janson”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

Excellent staff, daily cleaning of rooms and multiple cleaning of toilets per day. It was minutes’ walk away from the famous Concertgebouw, Rijksmuseum, and the newly refurbished city museum. Vondelpark is just a few more minutes away. The van Gogh museum is also in the area but is closed until April 2013. All in all, very convenient location, especially if arriving or leaving by coach or train, as there are direct tram connections for both. Rooms were quiet and I had respectful and friendly roommates. I was especially thankful for the functioning heaters due to the subzero temperature outside. Went to Liedsseplein for partying one night and it was only 10 minutes’ walk away. Also loved the big flat screen TV and free internet. Wallpaper pealing in a few places but no major impact for me.

Room Tip: If you are staying mid-week, book the 12-bed dorm as they are bigger and on a few beds will be taken...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012 via mobile

This was my first time staying in a hostel and after the experience I swore it would be my last.
The location is super far from the town centre so I did a lot of walking. I don't mind this because at the end of four days I knew Amsterdam like the back of my hand.
The room I was in the first two nights was terrible. It had five bunk beds haphazardly crammed into a small space and I literally had to step on the bed below to get to my top bunk. I spent the whole night worrying about toppling off but I'm thankful I wasn't on the bottom because I'm sure the person below me heard irritating creaking every time I shifted in this uncomfortable bed.
The shared bathroom was awful! The sink and toilet were chipped. The shower was rubbish with low pressure. The people who were staying in the room were filthy and the floor if the bathroom was soaking wet most of the time.
People came and went at all times of the night and often would turn the lights on at 3am. Lots of late night whispering, which is more annoying than talking at a regular volume.
On my last night I was moved to a smaller room which was much cleaner and shared with more respectful and clean guests.
The place was under construction when I was there and from the pace and state of the place, this may be a permanent situation.
I didn't bother eating in the common area. I went there once and there was hardly space to turn.

• Stayed January 2012
Coventry, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012 via mobile

I urge you not to stay here. I can only see one honest review so far I think the rest of you have indulged a little too much whilst in Amsterdam. Where do I start... This place is tiny ! Not cosy... Just down right small. There are no lifts and the stairs are crazy steep, narrow and ancient if you have a large suitcase u have no chance. They stuff 5 or 6 bunk beds into a room which any other hostel wud put 2 or 3 at the most. There is no room for your stuff or you. There are no lockers. There is one shower and one toilet per floor. This place is so small and cramped you just feel awkward the whole time, they try to make it out to be cosy and have this gimmick about some straggler cat simba at the reception. Oh yeah, if you have cat allergies you definitely cannot stay here. I literally did not know places likes this still existed in a developed country, as I type this I'm in a hostel in Slovakia which is at least a million times better. Put it this way... as soon as I got to the top of the stairs and saw the place I wanted to turn round and leave but there wasn't enough room. Heed these words or wish you did.

Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Hostelcosmos A, General Manager at Hostel Cosmos Amsterdam, responded to this review, July 27, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thanks for your stay? We just want you relax;) We get it, this is not the place for you. But even the cat is attacked? Wow! Thank you also for the only review that is REAL.

Kind regards,

Cosmos staff
York, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

We were promised that the hotel was in the city centre - this is no the case at all. The hotel is a good 45 minute walk to the centre of town.

We turned up and were told that the price we had booked it for was wrong and we had to pay extra. They told us that emails were sent explaining the situation, but this was not the case.

Having had no sleep the night before due to an early plane journey, we had a sleep in the afternoon. We were woken by someone who used a key to get in saying they had "forgotten their scarf". When we questioned a staff member about someone else having a key to our private room, they had no record of it.

The "continental breakfast" provided was in fact just a loaf of bread and a selection of jam and chocolate sauce.

No atmosphere at all, and a tiny common room.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012 via mobile

Fairly close the Amsterdam Centraal station, a 10 minute walk. Was in a quite central location also.

Very steep stairs so watch out if your backpack goes above your head!

Staff seemed nice.

Double room was quite pokey with bunkbeds and a sink. Shared shower and toilets were clean.

Had to leave key at reception which I don't like as we just walked back up to a new guy we hadn't seen before and said our room number and he gave the key straight over.

• Stayed August 2012
Honolulu, Hawaii
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

Great location, right in the middle of all the action. If you turn left, Red Light District and right, shopping district. They have a house cat name Simba, so if you are allergic to cats, this might not be the best place. Simba is super mellow.

Smoke-free (including weed), but there is a coffeeshop right across the street, so that's not too bad.

Quiet and staff is super helpful and nice. My dorm room was nice, but kinda old. There is a TV in the room, which is a huge plus, IMO. The toilet and shower is separate and looked well kept and clean. There is an age limit of 35 years old, I think. My travelmate was over that age, but they were cool enough to let us stay.

No breakfast, but free tea and coffee. They had some chips, soda, snacks for sale at a reasonable price.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Oxford
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012 via mobile

The location of the hostel is excellent - just about in the middle of everything. It was clean, our room was a bit small but that didnt bother us too much. Just a warning the stairs leading up to the hostel are INCREDIBLY steep, other than that everything was fine.

• Stayed August 2012

Been to Hostel Cosmos Amsterdam? Share your experiences!