“Lies.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hostel Cosmos Amsterdam

Save Saved
You added Hostel Cosmos Amsterdam to your Saves list
Hostel Cosmos Amsterdam
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   Frans Van Mierisstraat 69 a, 1071RL Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Formerly Janson Hostel) (Museumplein)   |
Ranked #121 of 174 Specialty Lodging in Amsterdam
York, United Kingdom
“Lies.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

We were promised that the hotel was in the city centre - this is no the case at all. The hotel is a good 45 minute walk to the centre of town.

We turned up and were told that the price we had booked it for was wrong and we had to pay extra. They told us that emails were sent explaining the situation, but this was not the case.

Having had no sleep the night before due to an early plane journey, we had a sleep in the afternoon. We were woken by someone who used a key to get in saying they had "forgotten their scarf". When we questioned a staff member about someone else having a key to our private room, they had no record of it.

The "continental breakfast" provided was in fact just a loaf of bread and a selection of jam and chocolate sauce.

No atmosphere at all, and a tiny common room.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012 via mobile

Fairly close the Amsterdam Centraal station, a 10 minute walk. Was in a quite central location also.

Very steep stairs so watch out if your backpack goes above your head!

Staff seemed nice.

Double room was quite pokey with bunkbeds and a sink. Shared shower and toilets were clean.

Had to leave key at reception which I don't like as we just walked back up to a new guy we hadn't seen before and said our room number and he gave the key straight over.

• Stayed August 2012
Honolulu, Hawaii
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

Great location, right in the middle of all the action. If you turn left, Red Light District and right, shopping district. They have a house cat name Simba, so if you are allergic to cats, this might not be the best place. Simba is super mellow.

Smoke-free (including weed), but there is a coffeeshop right across the street, so that's not too bad.

Quiet and staff is super helpful and nice. My dorm room was nice, but kinda old. There is a TV in the room, which is a huge plus, IMO. The toilet and shower is separate and looked well kept and clean. There is an age limit of 35 years old, I think. My travelmate was over that age, but they were cool enough to let us stay.

No breakfast, but free tea and coffee. They had some chips, soda, snacks for sale at a reasonable price.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Oxford
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012 via mobile

The location of the hostel is excellent - just about in the middle of everything. It was clean, our room was a bit small but that didnt bother us too much. Just a warning the stairs leading up to the hostel are INCREDIBLY steep, other than that everything was fine.

• Stayed August 2012
West Seattle, Washington, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

Firstly I have to admit I have never been to Amsterdam nor have I stayed in many hostels. I would say this is not super cheap, but was less than half the hotel prices I would have paid traveling alone.

But I was pretty happy. The bed was clean and comfortable enough for 2 nights (note - I am somewhat accustomed to sleeping on the ground while camping). The showers and bathrooms were also clean. I had not really planned for staying in a hostel so I didn't have flip flops for the shower, but I didn't feel like I needed them either.

The room was VERY quiet all the time and everyone was respectful of others space (little though it may have been). I also felt safe enough to leave my backpack with camera, laptop, etc in the room and unlocked while I went out and had no problem.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Buenos Aires, Argentina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

I stayed at the Cosmos for 2 nights in a 5 person room that was really a 4 person room. The fifth bed really made things uncomfortable for all of us since there was litterally no separation between the two sets of bunk beds. It was like all of us slept on one big bed...
My room was on the first floor, in front of the reception. Our bathroom and shower were right next (not 5 feet apart) from the reception, which felt weird.
The staff was friendly, but this hostel offers nothing other than a bed and it's rather expensive compared to what other hostels in other cities offer for the same or less money.
The hostel just 3 blocks away from Dam Square which is a really good location.

Room Tip: If you stay there on a weekend try to get a room that doesn't face the street. Since it's a...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here for a 3 night stay in the 9 person dorm. The room was a little cramped, but doable. I'm sure the 6 person would be more comfortable. There were no issues however, as we used the room mostly for sleeping and getting dressed (then spent the rest of the day out).

The location is great: very close to the sights, restaurants, coffeeshops (one across the street) and train station. The stairs are very typically dutch..very steep and small. I've seen people with huge backpacks get up it though.. it's not impossible or anything.

The staff was fairly friendly. The first day we arrived the host was very nice who suggested great places to go and see. Other days it was a different. Free map. Breakfast is only tea or coffee, but there are plenty of places around to grab food. * They do have their own rules though..don't try to shower with your significant other! They have hallway cameras that they watch cautiously.

No common area, which can be upsetting when you want to come back to your hostel and "chill out." Most people in your bedroom will be sleeping (from our experiences) when you get home. Spoke to a few of my roommates, but didn't really hang out with any. Perhaps if there was a communal space you could get to know each other.

You can rent small lockers for 1 euro a day, they'll fit a computer, handbag, electronics, etc. There are 2 bathrooms and 2 showers. I'm sure it could be an issue for busy hours (around 8-10 am) but I never personally waited.

They'll hold your bags for you after check out (max 5 hours) which is a nice to walk around some before your train/plane heads out.

Overall, a good value and great location. I would recommend most for friends and couples who don't mind an absence of alone time.

Cat is cute too. Not very friendly though.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hostel Cosmos Amsterdam? Share your experiences!