“Great hotel perfect location” 4 of 5 stars

Rembrandtplein Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Groenburgwal 27, 1011 Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #250 of 350 Hotels in Amsterdam
newport
“Great hotel perfect location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

Just got back after a great weekend in amsterdam staying at the rembrantplein hotel if your looking for 5 stars this is not for you this hotel is a listed building and and situated in a perfect location. The staff very helpful .my room was fine and shower always had hot water mybe towels could be a little bigger. Also nice little bar and smoking room down stair very cool. I would stay at this hotel anytime its the real amsterdam. Thanks for having me

• Stayed June 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

This hotel is a disgrace...it may be located in a good spot but getting up to fith floor being an older woman and man with all our luggage was hard. The room was small and shabby, curtains torn and dusty..marks and opening in wall next to bed. The linen had holes in and stains, shower was not draing properly and spilled into room....towels a disgrace, had to use a thin worn out handtowel to dry myself....i took photographs of all the wrongs and will still publish them as i told reception they had to get another room for me or i look for another hotel and want my money back. Hiding behind the excuse of an historical building is not good as you can still have cleanliness and nice towels and facilities in good working order....i would not recommend this place to anyone as it is not well kept and a disgrace to tourism industry.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Chiangmai
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

Rembrandtplein Hotel is well located, about 15 min walk from the Central Station in an area next to the flea market. Anyone who has not stayed in Amsterdam old economical hotels will be surprised at the steep climb on the stairs; if you have a large luggage, it's a problem to haul it up 4 or 5 floors. The room is a dump, particularly the toilet. There is no hot water on the tap (except the shower). The toilet is not stable: when you sit on it, you will get a jerk with water coming up from the ground. The toilet/shower are all together very tiny. The room is bare with no facilities; towels are thin and tiny. Some days, the bed is made, some days, it isnt. Male staff in the hotel are friendly and helpful, but the female receptionist is not pleasant at all and she has a mutt dog.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014 via mobile

The room is. Very small, was nlt cleaned, the baths are old and dark. There isnt any big tower available only the small one to take a shower.also the room was not cleaned and the bad organized every day. The hotel didnt have lifts, so was dificult to lift all bags when we arrived.. However the hotel is located in a good place, the staff was very very friendly when we arrived..

London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

Checked into this hotel which from the outside I was lulled into a sense of false security.
Got to the check in desk and the Italian young man behind the counter was very polite and friendly and spoke good English. I was then asked to pay a local tax in cash!!!
Climbed the stairs to my room where he opened the door and let me in.
I literally dumped my bags and left the room as I had to rush out to see friends. Upon returning it occurred to me how dark the room was, the lighting was so subdued I had an insight to what someone with cataracts must experience plus a light was broken.
The furniture was out of the 60's and cobbled together the Television was not working and apparently the entire tv system in the hotel had not worked for a month either. I really wanted a shower and then discovered that there was no hot water when I belted downstairs I was told that there was a computer error, no apology was offered by the manager.
I actually slept in my clothes that night as I was not sure the sheets had been laundered. when I looked in the closets I thought if I place my clothes in there they will need cleaning afterwards.
Extra pillows were tossed into another cupboard where a lopsided clothes rail had been placed you guess if as good as mine if they had been cleaned.They need to call this place Hotel Circus. I would say to anyone wishing to stay at this 'hotel' DON'T
The location is perfect but that is the only thing going for it.This hotel definitely falls into my bottom three of hotels I have ever stayed at anywhere in the world. Spend a little bit more and book a room elsewhere

Room Tip: Choose another hotel this one really sucks
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Rembrandtpleinhotel, Manager at Rembrandtplein Hotel, responded to this review, May 22, 2014
we regret you didn't enjoy your stay with us , we did provide exactly what we advertise , an old monumental canal house from the 17 century in a listed building , kept in the original ,Old dutch brown style,small rooms and steep stairs .But this is the Amsterdam style and that's what makes us an unique hotel and not one you can find all over the world .Staying with us is experiencing how local live. we understand we are not your standard as your profile clearly say on TripAdvisor , I prefer 4/5 star hotels . we are a budget 1 star hotel where price and quality are in balance and we think its only fair to rate us in the category that we are and not compare with other hotels with 4/5 stars. we have one of the best location , best price/ quality and the staff is very kind and helpful and does everything within their power to make your stay as comfortable as possible . we hope you did enjoy your stay in Amsterdam. manager
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2014

At first some of the older reviews worried us ( we checked them post booking!) On calling to voice our concerns we were reassured that renovations had been made and that our stay would be enjoyed. On arriving we found an affordable hotel that is in a great central location to just about everything you could want to see whilst still being on a quiet street. There were fresh decent sized towels each day and despite other reviewers complaints of narrow stairs I didn't find them to be any different from all the original stairs in any old Dutch house.The staff as remarked in previous reviews were incredibly helpful and nothing was too much trouble. They did everything possible to ensure our stay was a pleasant one. Rembrant the notoriously cute pug also greeted us in the lobby each morning. Recommend this hotel to anyone wanting to experience Amsterdam and it's awesome hospitality.

• Stayed May 2014
thank you for your time to write us a review , it has been a pleasure having you with us and we look forward to welcome you again , Manager
Doncaster, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

Firstly I'd like to say that people who write negative reviews about this place should have the common sense to read reviews before booking then they might not be so disappointed! I read the reviews before I booked so wasn't expecting a 5 star hotel. When we arrived we were warmly welcomed by the reception staff, a pug and a hairless cat!! We were given a room on the top floor so had a hike to the room but was expecting this due to the hotel being a typical Dutch canal house. It is run down and needs a re-vamp (the staff don't deny this) but the room was a decent size, comfortable bed and clean bathroom. I didn't have time to worry about whether the TV worked or not as we were too busy going out, exploring the city. Pierro on reception gave us a map and a very detailed description of the best places to visit and how to get there. We will definitely stay there on our next trip to Amsterdam as the location is perfect and the price was affordable.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 19 on the top floor which was fine for us as we're not shy of a bit of exercis...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
thank you for your time to write us a review ,it has been a pleasure having you as our guests. we think your review describes correctly our hotel . being an old monumental building brings a lot of maintenance and we experienced a broken cable from the TV signal , It has been fixed finally.Luckily Amsterdam has to offer so much more to compensate the TV . Our building is a very old monumental canal house build on wooden polls, due to weather condition the buildings in (old )Amsterdam are moving and causing cables to break , plumbing to leak etc. as you saw some building lean over to the left or right . we look forward to welcome you back anytime. sincerely Manager

Been to Rembrandtplein Hotel? Share your experiences!