“Only. If. Desperate.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Manofa

You added Hotel Manofa to your Saves list
Hotel Manofa
1.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Damrak 46-48, 1012 LL Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Centrum)   |
Ranked #332 of 355 Hotels in Amsterdam
Amsterdam
“Only. If. Desperate.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014

I'd booked a triple room for myself and two friends after being misled by a large looking triple I was shown upon booking. The reality was not the case.

When we arrived at our hotel we were greeted by pleasant staff who checked us in without delay. We then climbed the four flights of stairs with our suitcases to our room. When we walked in we were immediately taken aback by the condition of the room. It contained three small beds, two of which were pushed side by side and the other which lay tucked under a shelving unit by the window. A grim looking sink hid behind some load bearing wall, stained and accompanied by what looked like an abandoned bottle of shower gel. A single chair and table were the last bits of furniture to complete the look. The wall was stained and grubby, as if a thousand drunken guests had smeared their mucky hands on it when stumbling in from a night out, dripping in kebab sauce, and unfortunately perhaps not making it to the (shared) toilet in time.

We didn't investigate the shared facilities too intently, however the smell and dankness of the shower rooms was personally enough to turn me off.

We quickly decided that, despite losing our deposit, we couldn't stay in the room. We traipsed downstairs and the helpful gentleman at the desk was more than willing to show us another triple room. Upon inspecting the other triple we decided that, although still dingy, we would take it for the two nights that it was available.

Room number two was marginally better, and frankly felt a bit like the Ritz after being in room number one, what with the private bathroom and all. The odd, spongy half-pillows still remained, wrapped carelessly in full sized pillowcases, but we decided it was manageable. The bathroom was surprisingly clean, and the shower spotless. It had no window, however, so remained steamy and wet for hours after a single shower.

I must say I enjoyed two restful nights sleep in Hotel Manofa. I also enjoyed two rude awakenings. The first morning we were woken by what sounded like a couple having a serious spat upstairs - at 7:30am - followed by incessant knocking. The second morning we were woken by the bells of a local church ringing which, to be fair, can't be helped.

In conclusion, the positives to this hotel are it's location and moderately helpful staff. The negatives are everything else.

I suggest Hotel Continental around the corner, where we stayed for our last night at a similar price.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Turkish first
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2014

DO NOT STAY HERE!!!! AWEFUL!

Where to begin? My first impression of the lobby was: "I hope the rooms are better than this". I was wrong. It only got worse as we continued our trek up the stairs to our room. It looked like the door had been kicked in and the framework was evidently rotting, as there was a gaping hole in the door next to the feeble lock. The room was disgusting! Dirt, graffiti and scratches, present all over the walls; dingy curtains that did not close; no cups nor tissues in the toilet; shower curtain about 35cm too short; mold throughout the bathroom, leading us to decide not to shower due to it’s utterly unappealing nature; stains on the sheets; holes in towels; windows that did not close; busted light bulbs - it's very obvious there is no quality control in this establishment. To be frank, one would not want to walk around in said room without shoes on. Furthermore, if the previous statements were not enough to repel any future customers, the rooms are vastly overpriced.

The next morning I commented to the staff at the front desk when checking out that it was possibly the worst hotel that I ever had stayed at. It did not come as a surprise that the man on duty did not bother to find out why I would make a comment about the hotel. Moreover, his response was, "we are ranked number 8 on Trip Advisor in Europe". I seriously doubt that but am heading over to Trip Advisor to leave my comments and photos
of this establishment.

The breakfast – please, I would have preferred they had not included it in my room tariff. The service at breakfast was also very unpleasant and a little bit frightening. When we asked him for a bowl for cereal we were brought a visibly dirty bowl!

I will make sure when recommending places to stay in Amsterdam that The Hotel Manofa is included at the top of the list of places not to stay!

I did not see cockroaches or mice but granted I did not hang around much to find any. What a waste of money!

Room Tip: Go to another hotel!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Brussels, Belgium
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

I stayed here with my 2 teenage daughters for a citytrip Amsterdam. It is regarded as "budget", but I have stayed in much better hotels for this price than this one. Completely outdated hotel; urgent need to renovate (paint coming off, cracks in the wall, sheets have turned yellowish )! Breakfast very basic but ok. Location for our purpose was perfect.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Loughborough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014

I stayed here with four of my friends. We were given a five bed dorm on the first floor with a tiny balcony. The location was amazing for us and we couldn't believe how lucky we were to get such a good location for the price we paid. We also were very happy with our room, that came with a tiny bathroom. The room wasn't too small, and none of us got into each others way. Our room was cleaned everyday and fresh towels were given. The only complaint was that the heating was on all day and night, which made the room very hot....but we just opened our balcony doors. I don't think there was much noise around the hostel or even on the main road. The people on reception were polite enough. We literally just got ready and slept there, so everything was fine for us.

Room Tip: five bed dorm facing the street that has a balcony - it is a good room if you are sharing with frien...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Amsterdam
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

Within a stones throw of Central Station, with helpful and friendly staff, the ideal budget hotel. It is close to the main shopping streets, the red light district, with tram stops just across the street.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo