“A great positive surprise considering A'dam hotels' reputation” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Arena

Save Saved
You added Hotel Arena to your Saves list
Hotel Arena
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   's-Gravesandestraat 51, 1092 AA Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #134 of 345 Hotels in Amsterdam
Düsseldorf
“A great positive surprise considering A'dam hotels' reputation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2009

You can easily spend the same money and end up in a mouldy run-down whole in the wall in this town. The people at Arena must be really in it for the long run, delivering design hotel style and high quality interiors, perfect cleanliness and kind service to make you return and recommend this place (this is why I take the time to write this).

Our standard double room (#109) was very very quite and of absolutely sufficient size. They have a nightclub on the other side of the building and I'm not sure if there might be noisier rooms.

The hot water in the luxury shower would go away for half a minute each time shortly after I started the shower but would come back and then work perfectly. But that's about it from a picky person.

15 min tram ride to the center and great if you do park&ride at the ArenA since it is a short walk from Weesperplein.

This night felt like 2 to 3 times the price we paid.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
HotelArenaManagement, General Manager at Hotel Arena, responded to this review, April 24, 2009
We are extremely happy with your review and would like to thank you for the time you have taken to ‘Sing our praises’.

Your evaluations hits the precise spot we are aiming for: To exceed guest’s expectations by offering more than just a night’s stay in another hotel. We have done our utmost to present a stylish, design hotel where comfort of room; where a comfortable bed, hygiene and sanity, peace and quiet are protected.

With the city centre at a proverbial arm’s length, we firmly believe Hotel Arena’s is – when in Amsterdam - one of the best places to be!

In a current world where reviews can paint false pictures we are (again) grateful for your kind report! Your recommendation speaks volumes!

We are looking forward to welcoming you again many more times,

Edgar Schrader,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
  • Greek first
Monte-Carlo, Monaco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2009

Yeah, sorry for the "ugly duckling", but hey, you guys made such an improvement and this is the first thing that came up...

How did I get to know Arena? For my 40th birthday, a friend of mine arranged an entire Amsterdam weekend (musical, dinner, after drinks, clubbing, shopping, lunch, the works...). He knows me very well and he is aware that I am quite difficult concerning hotels... One problem: ALL the top hotels in Amsterdam were fully booked and the only alternative was Arena. OK, he warned me beforehand that Arena was the kind of hotel I would never ever visit, let alone sleep at. He described it as a "backpackers hotel". Fair enough... So here we arrive with the limousine and the Vuitton trunks and bags... You can imagine the shock (also from the hotel staff thinking what had been thrown in: a male Joan Collins...) Anyway, the weekend was great, the hotel was OK. Period. Never again, except maybe in case of an emergency. Every time I went to Amsterdam I went to another hotel on the canals. Two years later: all hotels full. Our travel service assistant booked me at Arena. Hey, sh.. happens. Luckily I thought, the bar has a good vibe.
I was booked in the attic. Construction in the (soooo sexy black and dim) hallways were still going on (can't make an omelette without breaking eggs, can you?), opened the door: SURPRISE: welcome to the new and so-improved Arena. Really, words are useless here. The staff is still as charming as I remembered and the rooms are just awesome. I've been now a few times and from now on I will be there every week for one or two nights. I forget about the other hotel. Arena is from now on my home away from home. Thank you guys for eveything: you did a great job. Just one little thing (sorry for that...) do something about your Ceasar's Salad in TODRINK, it has no taste whatsoever...
See you all next week again! And the week after and after...

• Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
HotelArenaManagement, General Manager at Hotel Arena, responded to this review, March 11, 2009
Thank you so much for your refreshing and kind words! We are thankful for your enthusiasm and also tackling the old idea we are this ‘Backpackers hotel’. With our concluded renovation we actually are looking for guests'experiences you have put down so eloquently!

We are looking forward to welcoming you many more times!

Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2009

I stayed over one week-end in one of the best hotels I ever stayed in. The hotel has got a parking, a gorgeous look and set standards for people willing to stay in posh and trendy place. Rooms are clean, minimalistic style, super stylish decoration and very nice showers. I recommend the room with the bath (224).

Service is good, restaurant and night club are also part of the hotel.

If you like style, you know where to go.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
HotelArenaManagement, General Manager at Hotel Arena, responded to this review, February 27, 2009
We are thrilled with your comments and empathically would like to thank you for your effort to actually write it down here! We are happy you have experienced yourselves, when in Amsterdam: Hotel Arena is a great place to stay.

We were glad to take care of your - as you mentioned at the time of your reservation - 'Delayed' Valentine weekend. Indeed, your room (224) is one of our brand new, luxurious Studio's equipped with a wealthy bath and spectacular rain shower.

We are looking forward to welcoming you again in the (near) future.

Thanks again and see you again,

Brussels
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2009

Rooms are very poorly decorated and renovated. This is not minimalistic but just very cheap.
Room was badly isolated which means a lot of noise when you sleep too close to the bar as we did. Do stay away...

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
HotelArenaManagement, General Manager at Hotel Arena, responded to this review, February 19, 2009
Dear Matt from Brussels,

We are very sorry - rather surprised - to read your comments on our property. We do not have these so-called ‘minimalistic rooms’ any longer (and we will soon update these descriptions because) the room you actually stayed in is brand new, just renovated. These rooms are applauded by many of our guests who express their appreciation. Especially by those who have been with us before, many years ago. No wonder, soon we will be awarded as a four stars’ hotel!!

Furthermore, indeed the minority (about 20) of our 116 rooms, are close to TODRINK (our bar) and the world famous Club (that opens in weekend) and can be somewhat noisy. We accommodate tons of guests who deliberately request (one of our many) quiet rooms in order to avoid any extra sounds. If you would have explained your wishes, we would easily have allocated a quiet room!

We hope you will return to Hotel Arena to experience we are not awful at all.

Kind regards,

Edgar Schrader
Ixelles, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2009

The hotel room was recently renovated, and looked amazing! Very light, high windows and two floor: on the first floor of the loft we had the bathroom, lounge and desk, and upstairs we had the very big and comfy bed! The room was very much to our liking, bathroom was all in black with a rain shower. Two flat screen TV's, one in the lounge and one IFO the bed. We had dinner in the restaurant which was very good! Surprising combinations and good ingredients! In the bar we had a cup of coffee and there the service was a bit slow... One other minor thing is that we had to walk through the hallway where they were still renovating.. however we had no noise pollution so that's good.
Must say we were very happy with this hotel, the atmosphere is good and very well interior design.

• Liked — Definitely the interior design
  • Disliked — Expensive use of Internet
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
HotelArenaManagement, General Manager at Hotel Arena, responded to this review, March 1, 2009
Thank you very much for your kind and raving review on your stay in October of last year (2008). The renovation you refer to is now behind us and has brought us 116 brand new rooms to offer for many years to come.

We hope to be able to welcome you back in the future.

Mumbai
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2009

I checked out tripadvisor for help before i left for amsterdam. my booking was being done by my hosts in Dam so i wanted to check out the area the hotel was in.
the site mentioned that a few guests had their stuff stolen from their luggage and I wasnt sure what to do about this tiny lil bit of information. I was just careful about locking important stuff everyday before i left the room. bit painful that but what the hell...

I loved the rooms, and esp the loft bed.
The hotel staff were another handful though. Most took forever to get sort out anything, and that has nothing to do with language issues.
I paid for a week's internet connection and within two days of usage, I got a message when i logged in, asking me to choose what Internet package I needed. When I contacted the help desk, they assured me that I could click on it again and they would sort it out during my checkout. suffice to say, when i checked out, they claimed no knowledge of the earlier conversation.
I spent a good half an hour arguing with the lady before I was told that according to the deal that my hosts had cracked with them, I was not even supposed to be charged for the web in the first place.

The hotel itself, I was told by my more fortunate friends who stayed elsewhere, is in a part of Dam that's unusually quiet. If you are lookign for a vibe, a buzz and some life around where you are staying, this is not the place to be.
The hotel does have a weekend pub night which is extremely popular, by all accounts. I was too dead beat by Friday night to check it out.

• Liked — The way the rooms were designed, very chic
  • Disliked — The hotel staff
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
First of all, we would like to thank you for your kind words on our accommodation. On the other hand, we are sorry to read there was some misunderstanding concerning your internet charge. Luckily in the end, the apparent inclusion of internet usage was established. We apologies it took some of your valuable time to find out.

Lastly, Hotel Arena is really - at least - as safe as any other hotel. The corridors to any room are only accessible by our guests. The key card of your own room unlocks these corridor doors as well. Eventually, all rooms are equipped with safes

Thanks for your comments!

We hope to see you again shortly,

cambs
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2009

enjoyed our stay. staff very friendly. room was small but well layed out. ventalion system bit noisey at night.

• Liked — the look
  • Disliked — dont sweep under the bed
  • Stayed December 2008
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hotel Arena? Share your experiences!