“Stay at Hotel Arena, Amsterdam” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Arena

You added Hotel Arena to your Saves list
Hotel Arena
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   's-Gravesandestraat 51, 1092 AA Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #133 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Cheshire
“Stay at Hotel Arena, Amsterdam”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

Booked online (eBookers). Booking process quite swift. Arrived at hotel at 12 noon, but were not ready for us, so had to store luggage and go about town. Had a quick look around - stylish reception area, and quite uniquely furnished; best is restaurant and bar lounge areas.. Stayed for 3 nights. Room quite OK, but terrible bed - got 2 twin beds that were brought together (and kept slipping apart), rather than 1 proper double bed. Very uncomfortable arrangement! Stayed 3 nights, and all quite OK.
Checking-out process was a bit of a nightmare. Arrived at reception desk at 10:30am, only to find a long queue and only 1 receptionist. Finally got the plot, and a second person joined in to help out. Was shouted at for "being very late to check out", and I appropriately retorted that I had been waiting on the queue for over 30mins! Was very annoyed, and demanded an apology, which was given. Was also caught unawares by the "town tax", whilst checking out! Beware, as you are never told this on the website, or while checking in!!!
Best experience was in the restaurant / bar area. "Welcome drink" was great. The bar/restaurant staff are hardworking and very friendly. Service was prompt. Background music was great.
Guests toilets quite smelly though!
Not sure I would go back there.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the garden side are best.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
  • Greek first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here with partner for 3 nights. Prepaid online and arrived knowing a room deposit had to be paid (thank you TA reviewers!!). We paid in cash knowing that c.card return payments were few and far between! On checkout we were informed our deposit would be charged with hotel tax?! Why this was put onto the deposit I have no clue- especially as it wasn't used to purchase anything... Received €134 back out of our €150- would have been nice to have been told about this during check in!
Room was very basic and somewhat small for 2 people. (Room 240). Was an attic type room with slanted ceilings- my partner is 6ft4 so found this a bit troublesome.... The bed was extremely comfortable and quite large. Bathroom was a see through box, meaning whoever you share with will see...everything. As the doors do not seal tight the bathrooms ac is constantly on and did keep us Awake during the night. Furthermore after using the shower the whole floor got covered in water!!! Hotel arena need to realise that these bathrooms just do not work!!!
On a whole the room was ok. It did the job. The look of the hotel was nice and modern although a lot of paintwork and corridors needed some work!! The location was a little out of the way- but if you want a reasonable hotel at a good price going out of the city slightly seemed the best choice.

Definitely not a 4* they need to get the basics right before the aesthetics!! Pay everything in cash and Be prepared to do some walking.

• Stayed October 2013
Tel Aviv
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

Impressive interrior, the neo-Gothic style seem to overweigh small but unpleasant details. Due to some structural problems, there was no WiFi in our room as we were told at the reception. The room has a mezzanine but not everybody can reach the upper floor. The staircase reminds of the Gothic towers for undersized knights. The interior of the room was very modern, with a glass cube with a toilet and shower. The shower was fixed in the ceiling, and now I understand what does it mean to wash oneself under a rain. The cone of shower jets diverges by the lower part of your body, and to wash it properly you'd better stand on your hands. Like in a public facility (gaol?) you have a fixed plastic cylinder with some soapy liquids (they did not replenish them even after several reminders, the same was with burnt bulbs).
As to the rest, the location is beutiful, a large park nearby, and the easily reachable city center by a good network of trams.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
carlisle
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

Arrived at the hotel and was pleased to see a large secure car park. Walked into the reception and was hit by a 'wow' factor, very impressed. Check-in was speedy and we were escorted to our room. First impression of the room was another 'wow'. It was large with exceedingly high ceiling and included a mezzanine floor accommodating a 'lounge' area with with tv and mini bar. The en suite bathroom had black glass walls and looked very trendy. However, when we looked a little closer, things began to fall apart. Firstly, there was dust and cobwebs up the exceedingly high walls, poor housekeeping. Second, the black bathroom glass walls were sticky plastic on plain glass and it was peeling off. Third, while sitting on the loo, where was the toilet roll? After looking in all the obvious places for a toilet roll holder (never found), we found the toilet roll sitting by the wash basin more than 2 arms lengths away. Fourth, we book a double bed only to be greeted by 2 singles pushed together. Fifth, having a shower was fun, there was no shower door and the whole bathroom got soaked, toilet and all. No amount of towels would dry the mess up. The sleep quality of the room was not too bad but there was quite a lot of outside noise. That about sums the bedroom up.
Being late arrivers at the hotel, we decided to eat in the hotel. The restaurant was pretty full so they asked if we could eat in the bar, not a problem. The menu's were slow to arrive and the excuse was that they could only find 2! We ordered and waited. From our seats we could see right into the open plan kitchens and the 3 chefs working, sometimes. When our meal arrived, the ravioli garnish was missing from mine. I asked about this and was told that chef would sort this. When the ravioli arrived, my main meal was finished. We ordered pudding and waited. The chefs in the kitchen looked bored and seemed intent on feeding themselves. The only person really working in the kitchen was the man washing the dishes. We drank several bottles of beer and waited longer and eventually asked 'where was our pudding?' The kitchen sprung into life and we were told that there had been 'technical problems'. Don't get me wrong, the meal was quite good but the service very poor. We also did not like the way the chefs seemed to be snacking while cooking, not very hygienic. One chef appeared to eat more than he plated up.
Following super, we decided not to risk breakfast at 18 euros per person.
Overall, the hotel looked very impressive and charged plenty for the privilege of our stay. Although not a complete disaster, we would probably try to find accommodation in an alternative hotel on our next stay in Amsterdam.

England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

Stayed at this hotel last weekend. Room I had was on the ground floor with a mezzanine with fridge and tv upstairs. Mattress was a little to soft for me but ok. Room looked on to a courtyard and it was very quiet. Staff were courteous and efficient. Free wifi. Shower was one of those rainbow ones, not sure about the design of the bathroom as there are no hooks to hang towels although there are coat hooks just outside in the hallway.

Could do with perhaps an information pamphlet stand near reception as there was little information about Amsterdam although you are given a map. It takes around 20 minutes to walk leisurely to the Amstel river and then follow that along to the centre. Alternatively, there is a tram stop nearby and you are at the museums in around 10 minutes. 7.50 euro for a public day travel pass which you can buy at the hotel reception. Bar at the hotel was nice with a lovely courtyard space outside, hotel is beside a large park and the Tropenmuseum is a five minute walk away. Would stay again. Did not have the breakfast and ate at a nearby café five minutes walk away just past the park.

Room Tip: My room was 0031 on the ground floor and was quiet
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

Returned from the hotel Arena on the 21/09 after having stayed for 3 nights....firstly after booking this hotel I felt slightly apprehensive after reading the reviews regarding the hassle some guests encountered to get the 50 euro per night deposit back (some claiming to have never even received it back!!!) When we arrived at the hotel we were asked to produce our credit card in order for a 150 Euro deposit to be taken from it (as we were staying for three nights) as a result of reading these reviews beforehand I told the receptionist that I didn't travel with my credit card (white lie) and that I would be happy to secure the deposit with cash, they seemed happy to accept this....I felt handing over the cash was a bit of a nuisance as it would have been much more convenient to just put it on my credit card but as I said some of the reviews on here totally put me off doing this and I felt like cash was the safer option to ensure I got my deposit back on the day of checking out. we received a receipt for our deposit and got our cash straight back when we checked out as we hadn't used anything from the mini bar etc.....Just wanted to mention this for any other guests due to check in here and feeling much the same as I was initially....The hotel itself was very comfortable with the interior having a very contemporary feel. we had the split level room and just as so many other guests have commented on the stairs leading up to the sleeping quarters are VERY steep and narrow! Not the best idea if you've had a few too many as one slip could honestly prove to be fatal!! I guess they need to maximise the space they have though and this proves to be an ideal solution :) we found all staff that we encountered to be very helpful and friendly :) My only gripe would be that the carpet in our room did not appear to have been vaccumed, please believe me I am not a fussy pants by any means lol but it actually looked like it hadn't been vaccumed for some time! This was slightly off-putting but nothing that I lost any sleep over ;) The hotel is about a 35 minute walk into the centre of town but plenty of regular trams nearby to get you around so this was never an issue and it was nice to retreat back there after a buy day of sightseeing. Overall I think we would definitely stay at the hotel Arena again on any future visits that we may have to Amsterdam, which will hopefully be soon as we had an amazing time! What a wonderful city it is :)))

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

I stayed here with my husband, to have a comfortable night away. We booked a deluxe splitlevel, when we got to the room it was a normal room, seems they were fully booked and we didnt get an upgrade but 2 times breakfast for free what was acceptable for us. modern room, good big shower, contemporary atmosphere and clean spacious room. for about 100E you have a good stay here. A large hotel, large hallways, lobbys and floorlevels. We would next time stay again here but hopefull the splitlevel we try to book. That is the only thing I dont like, booking one thing but getting another.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Arena? Share your experiences!