“Good Value Accommodation” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Arena

You added Hotel Arena to your Saves list
Hotel Arena
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   's-Gravesandestraat 51, 1092 AA Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #132 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Good Value Accommodation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

Returned from the hotel Arena on the 21/09 after having stayed for 3 nights....firstly after booking this hotel I felt slightly apprehensive after reading the reviews regarding the hassle some guests encountered to get the 50 euro per night deposit back (some claiming to have never even received it back!!!) When we arrived at the hotel we were asked to produce our credit card in order for a 150 Euro deposit to be taken from it (as we were staying for three nights) as a result of reading these reviews beforehand I told the receptionist that I didn't travel with my credit card (white lie) and that I would be happy to secure the deposit with cash, they seemed happy to accept this....I felt handing over the cash was a bit of a nuisance as it would have been much more convenient to just put it on my credit card but as I said some of the reviews on here totally put me off doing this and I felt like cash was the safer option to ensure I got my deposit back on the day of checking out. we received a receipt for our deposit and got our cash straight back when we checked out as we hadn't used anything from the mini bar etc.....Just wanted to mention this for any other guests due to check in here and feeling much the same as I was initially....The hotel itself was very comfortable with the interior having a very contemporary feel. we had the split level room and just as so many other guests have commented on the stairs leading up to the sleeping quarters are VERY steep and narrow! Not the best idea if you've had a few too many as one slip could honestly prove to be fatal!! I guess they need to maximise the space they have though and this proves to be an ideal solution :) we found all staff that we encountered to be very helpful and friendly :) My only gripe would be that the carpet in our room did not appear to have been vaccumed, please believe me I am not a fussy pants by any means lol but it actually looked like it hadn't been vaccumed for some time! This was slightly off-putting but nothing that I lost any sleep over ;) The hotel is about a 35 minute walk into the centre of town but plenty of regular trams nearby to get you around so this was never an issue and it was nice to retreat back there after a buy day of sightseeing. Overall I think we would definitely stay at the hotel Arena again on any future visits that we may have to Amsterdam, which will hopefully be soon as we had an amazing time! What a wonderful city it is :)))

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
  • Greek first
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

I stayed here with my husband, to have a comfortable night away. We booked a deluxe splitlevel, when we got to the room it was a normal room, seems they were fully booked and we didnt get an upgrade but 2 times breakfast for free what was acceptable for us. modern room, good big shower, contemporary atmosphere and clean spacious room. for about 100E you have a good stay here. A large hotel, large hallways, lobbys and floorlevels. We would next time stay again here but hopefull the splitlevel we try to book. That is the only thing I dont like, booking one thing but getting another.

Falls Church, Virginia, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

The hotel is conveniently located next to a few tram stops and a metro station. The rooms are modern and designed with style. Our room had 2 floors, and there was a 2nd TV, a desk, 2 chairs and a fridge on the 2nd floor. The room is not big. Free Wi-Fi. Breakfast buffet is optional for 18 euros per person - expensive, so go out and get breakfast in one of the nice cafes in the area.

San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

This hotel is gorgeous and the rooms are comfy. Just a few things detract from it.
1) We had a room that was a loft with really narrow stairs, I booked this hotel to avoid just that, my friends also staying at the hotel got a regular flat room.
2) Its on the other side of the city from most things you will want to be doing.
3) Every thing in the hotel is outrageously priced other then the rooms. But that may just be me.
This is a great hotel if you don't mind a walk, and is attached to a very nice park in a quite area and this is Amsterdam, everything is in biking distance.

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013 via mobile

We booked this hotel as a treat for our silver wedding trip.
The room is spaciousness and bright with a variety of lighting.
There is a TV at the end of the bed with quite a few channels in English.
We walked to the hotel from central station initially. This took a while but it was fun investigating on the way.
We managed to get a three day 72 hour team ticket from reception which was great. You can get trams 7,10 and 9 from nearby the hotel and they take you to the central part of the city. They come very regularly. You need to log in and out with your ticket or they don't work next time.
Reception seemed very helpful.

• Stayed September 2013
Newcastle upon Tyne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

After much debate, we booked Hotel for our Honeymoon... and were thrilled we did. Firstly, they up-graded us to the most beautiful suite free of charge, our jaws literally hit the floor when we went in (think sleek modern furniture, sunken bath tub, big flat screen TV etc). Not only that, but there was a (gorgeous) bottle of complimentary champagne, chocolates, fruit, water... We were chuffed to bits. But what if you aren't planning on staying for honeymoon? We'd still really recommend it. From the great bar to little details, like making sure the free shower gel etc were fair trade.

The building itself is stunning, especially the staircases (see traveller photos). The staff were really helpful, they lent us an adapter and pointed us in the direction of some funky, relaxed local bars and restaurants for the nights we wanted to just unwind.

For us, the location was ideal. A pretty 25 min walk to the very centre (we walked slowly, taking in the sights), but some days we got a tram (about 7 per hour, stopping around midnight) which took minutes. We only got a taxi once when we arrived at the Central Station and that was about 13 euros. We felt safe walking back to the hotel in the early hours and I would be happy even doing this if I'd been alone (as a single female).

Overall, if we go back to Amsterdam, we'll 100% book with Hotel Arena again.

I'd like to thank the management again, we'd already booked and so they didn't need to upgrade us or offer all the lovely champagne, choccies etc, it was just a really lovely thing to do and we were genuinely touched by it.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Scarborough, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 1 night on a mini cruise in August.

The room (see video) was brilliant and had everything we needed. The bathroom was very unusual and we loved it, as was the split floor layout. 2 tv's, sitting area and very comfy large bed.
The hotel itself has a lovely bar/restaurant with outdoor seating which was lovely although we did not eat here. The deco is unusual but added to the character of the impressive building.
The hotel is a 10 minute tram journey from central station and the best thing we did was buy a 24hr ticket which was brilliant value for money (about 8euros when a single journey is 2.50 euros). Short walk from tram stop to the hotel but the surroundings were lovely and a good location to see other areas.
We particularly enjoyed going to Leidseplein for dinner; a great selection of restaurants all very reasonably priced, and Rembrant square for breakfast.
We also rented bikes from the hotel for a reasonable 8 euros each for half a day.
The only gripe of the hotel was the fact that they took a 200 euro deposit for the bikes and this is still yet to be credited back to our bank account 3 weeks later.

Would definately stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013

Been to Hotel Arena? Share your experiences!