I count my 6-night stay at Hotel Arena as one of my holiday's successes: Not only were the accommodations clean and comfortable, but the staff members conducted themselves with poise and professionalism! While the hotel's location is a good walk outside center (don't try strolling from Centraal Train Station), it's located close to the 9 and 14 tram lines, which take you virtually anywhere you'd want to go.
Having read all the property's reviews on this site, I'd been expecting more hassle--luckily, all went off without a hitch. A couple weeks before my arrival, I emailed the staff to request a quiet room away from the night club, and they were more than happy to oblige. Also, I didn't experience any billing issues or misunderstandings.
I did have wifi devices with me, but the computer near the service desk became a convenient alternative when I needed to send longer messages and change my itinerary. It was open all times I needed to use it.
While Room 241 was perfect for me, I don't think it would work as easily with two travelers. The bathroom features a clear glass wall with no shade, meaning it has no privacy from the main suite. Also, quarters were a bit cramped between the bed and tv. (I'd say there was maybe a foot of clearance.) For two, there definitely wouldn't be much space to lounge.
- My pictures are of room 241, which doesn't feature a loft layout (this worked fine for me)
- Noise wasn't a problem, though from time to time I could hear people's doors open and shut and conversation from the hallway
- I'd never seen this: The room key, located in a slot next to the door, was needed to turn on and off any lights in the room
- Since the restaurant/cafe menu looked fairly pricey (everything seemed around 15 euros or more), I ended up eating when I was out seeing the city or buying a la carte at Marqt in Rembrandtplein (credit or debit cards only). The closest I ended up eating to the hotel was at Golden Temple in Rembrandtplein, which offered terrific vegetarian dishes.
- There's a water-canal taxi stop across from the hotel, however, I didn't look into how often it stopped at this location
- I didn't experience any issues with water spilling over from the shower
- The front desk let me know the hotel shuttle service--going between multiple hotels--is very unreliable. I opted to take a train between the airport and Centraal Station and a tram to and from the hotel. You can pay for the tram when you board, however, you must buy train tickets at a portal before boarding. (Altogether it's less than 8 euros.) Also, you can buy tram passes from Hotel Arena's front desk.
Overall, I'd highly recommend this hotel, especially for solo travelers. As far away as it may be from Dam Square (2.5 km to be exact), it's a perfect place to settle in at the end of a day exploring.
Room 241 was quiet and did not have a loft layout.
See more room tips
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.