“Laid back friendly hostel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Flying Pig Downtown

You added Flying Pig Downtown to your Saves list
Flying Pig Downtown
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   Nieuwendijk 100, 1012 MR Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Dam Square)   |
Ranked #27 of 189 Specialty Lodging in Amsterdam
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Laid back friendly hostel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2010

I stayed at the hostel last month with 3 friends (all female) for 3 nights. After a ten minute walk with suitcases from the main train station we arrived at the hostel. Not too difficult to locate, it was down a street off the main road literally next to the red light district. It was only a short walk to the main Dam square too. The staff were friendly and helpful and gave us key cards for our room on arrival. The cards were also used to get through a turn style on the way in. The reception looks a little bit like a small pub with a pool table and bar with a few tables and music blasting day and night. Luckily and surprisingly we could not hear the music at all from our room.

After lugging our bags up a very treacherous staircase (watch out for that one after a few drinks!) and then realising there was a lift..... we got to our modest room. It was small with two bunk beds and a small bathroom with a shower which looked a bit like a shower in a gym - you have to press the button every few seconds to get water. The floor was a little bit slimy/slippy so might want to take flip flops....

As far as rooms go it was simple but it was clean and the bed was really comfy, plus it is a hostel so you can't go expecting a hotel room! It did get hot at night though and the window wouldn't open properly but I think that was just ours because the room opposite looked ok. The only thing that was a bit annoying was the fact the staff knocked on the door a few times asking if we wanted to have our room cleaned, but before we could say anything the door had flown open. At one point my friend was half way through getting changed! But I guess in a hostel some of the dorms are shared with strangers so people might just walk in whenever. Might be best getting changed in the bathroom!

The bar downstairs was always quite busy and there was a smoking room through some glass doors. It's very chilled out in there with pillows scattered everywhere and signs on the wall saying 'no shoes' and 'no sleeping'. Didn't get that until I went in there one night really late and nearly fell asleep... you can get quite relaxed. The bar prices are pretty decent compared to the rest of Amsterdam which is very expensive for drinks. Downstairs there is a type of living room where you can get breakfast in the morning. The food is very basic - things like bread and cereal but it's ok for the price of the hostel (we paid about £100 each for three nights). You can also hire out a laptop to use the internet from behind the bar for something like 50 cent.

Overall I would say that the Flying pig is a good place to stay if you are young and are there for a bit of partying. There are people from all over the world here too so it's quite nice not just staying with a load of English people.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
  • Thai first
cork
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2010

When we arrived for check in the queue was massive! but we wern't waiting for too long so it wasnt so bad. We stayed in a 12 person room i think... The room was what I expected it to be.. bunk bed.. but clean. The locks on the lockers underneath the bed are extremely squeky which is annoying when trying to retrieve something late at night ..I brought my own lock but it wouldnt fit so I had to buy one in reception for around €3, . our room was directly opposite the bathroom/ shower which was a plus. to my surprise the showers were lovely and hot which was the perfect way to wake me up in the mornings. The smoking room upstairs was fantastic! what a comfortable chill out place, full of cushions etc.. but when your sitting up on the comfy perch there are 2 rules 1. NO SLEEPING and 2.NO SHOES... my advice to anyone staying here would be GET TO THE SMOKING ARE EARLY otherwise you wont find a comfy spot to sit, or else do what I done and arrive back to the hostel late at night when even less people are around as you will get the best spot to smoke. Wouldnt recommend this hostel for people who dont plan on soming weed or visitng the red light district... this is very much a hostel for young travllers...I Loved it!

Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2010

For someone who can be a bit uptight about travel arrangements, this was great as far as hostels go. My boyfriend and I stayed here- they have choices for both single beds and double beds which was good for us. I am not a huge fan of rooms of 10-15 bunk beds but it actually wasn't too bad. It is usually loud, so if you're coming for a quiet place to stay this may not be the place for you. However, if you were like us and just coming to have a good time- it was an awesome place to meet people and have fun. Also, it's very close to the city center and you can easily access all of the touristy and not so touristy attractions from there. The staff was really helpful in telling us where to eat/ go see so that was nice as well.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Midlands, England, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2010

This is a popular hostel. When we arrived it was loud/banging with music and at 1 am, we just wanted to crash. Friendly welcome at reception.

The 6 bed dorm had two young girls, 2 guys and us (a couple in their twenties). There a lot of single sex groups of youngsters in this hostel. If you are not comfortable with this, don't book here. The second night, our dorm had two other couples in, though we didn't see them until the morning.

Toilets are not pleasant around the hostel, but the six bed dorm had an ensuite with shower. Basic, but preferable to using other facilities.

Overall, a bed is a bed, and if you can crash and sleep anywhere, here is as good as anywhere. I won't be going back - I'm perhaps a little old for this now?!?

• Stayed August 2010
Porto, Portugal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2010

Such a great hostel! Short walking distance to the main attractions such as red light district and Centraal Station. Rooms with security card, the street isn't noisy, good breakfast and it has a bar with DJ (some nights) and 2€ a beer. Would stay there again!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2010

I had a look through these reviews and felt I had to give the Pig a bit of praise. I have stayed at the Downtown twice now, and would definitely go again, without a doubt. As for the people moaning about it being so close to the Red Light District and the coffee shops - maybe you shouldn't have booked to stay somewhere smack bang in the centre of Amsterdam (which is a bonus for most).

The hostel is in a fantastic location, about a 4 to 5 minute walk from Central station. Check in is simple and the staff are friendly and very helpful, you get a map of Amsterdam for free upon arrival. As soon as you arrive you are greeted with an easygoing and fun vibe. The room was spotless and so was the bathroom, and the shower was lovely. We stayed in a 6 person room and paid a TINY bit extra so we didn't have to share with people we didn't know, another thing people should do if they are going to moan about other people's habits, something you dont have to encounter if you are sharing with just your friends.

I chose to keep valuables on me in my hand bag, if not there are proper safes you can deposit your stuff in behind the desk which no one would have been able to gain access to without doing it in full view of staff. The chill out area is brilliant, not where it is in most photos but has now moved from out of the reception area to a seperate room seperated by glass at the other end of the bar. Brilliant and comfortable place to meet people from all over the world who share their travelling experiences, it is very inspiring. Not a place to go if you are scared to meet people, the hostel is a friendly and sociable place where most people all talk to each other.

The beds were comfortable and had no problem getting to sleep, the room we stayed in overlooked Niewendijk which is a fantastic road (off limits to cars) with loads of good shops, coffee shops and restaraunts down it. As we were getting to sleep we could hear the faint sound of music from the bar, and the city sounds from outside, I found it quite soothing, everything you would expect from a diverse and outgoing city.

To summarise the flying pig was one of the best hostels I have ever stayed in. Fun, friendly, inspiring, clean, safe and definitely not one of the sordid and dirty places some people must have an image of. Amazing

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
Sao Paulo, SP
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2010

The best hostel I ever been. I could not recommend another. This is the best from Amsterdam.

Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Flying Pig Downtown? Share your experiences!